Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog Six

War with Facebook

Can this thread please end?

You either use FB, or you do not!

They do offer plenty of options as to "what you allow".

I prefer the https option, and keep away from anything that requires me to turn it off.

I sure the hell will not, and do not, have to give any private info to them.

It's a social network that I (and apparently) millions do enjoy! !

So, let's plz quit the bashing!

Thanks.

Can this thread please end?

You either use FB, or you do not!

Yes, i'm not against FB bashing but i think that Google is/was using even more sneaky ways to spy peoples : it was condamned here in Froggy land because their Google cars - used for "google street view" - captured confidential datas on the fly in the streets. Read here, that's funny.

Well it is funny, for google. They are gonna laugh about this 100000$ fee

At the end of the day, people complaining that their personal info is compromised online and they are worried about the security of the website in protecting your data etc... The only information people are going to get is the info that YOU as a person put online. If you don't want people knowing all your personal info and everything you are doing, then don't post it on the open internet. as stated there are over 500 million users on facebook worldwide, the chances of anyone going out of their way to target you for whatever reason is slim, those who worry about it too much should either delete their account or sit in the cellar with a tin foil hat

For me, I don't mind about privacy issues but when they make the interface so counter-intuitive that you cannot find anything easily and try and let the website make decisions for you, it just gets annoying.

I mean, I don't mind them marketing normally, but this whole new timeline interface and all the UI redesigns they are going through are plain annoying.

Everyone who lives in the EU should google INDECT.

See what Social Networks will be used for

At the end of the day, people complaining that their personal info is compromised online and they are worried about the security of the website in protecting your data etc... The only information people are going to get is the info that YOU as a person put online. If you don't want people knowing all your personal info and everything you are doing, then don't post it on the open internet. as stated there are over 500 million users on facebook worldwide, the chances of anyone going out of their way to target you for whatever reason is slim, those who worry about it too much should either delete their account or sit in the cellar with a tin foil hat

I dont disagree completely, its all about free will I agree on that, but Im taking a guess you read the page you posted in and not the whole thread, please save tin foil comments for something else, pointless really there is no conspiracy theory in this at all, unless you dont read any news, internet pages, tech blogs and so on.

I replied to a mirror image of the same reply in this thread early on have a read (otherwise I would repeat the same thing) I think, actually heres the link to it its not about your view on choosing not too add information as a choice, that's clear, but its about marketing it for the next generations who wont have a critical thinking view of the "norms", and eventually a choice, the bigger picture.

And yet again you have (you as in posting just about the info you add to it) omitted the points of the thread and the OFP, getting dragged in even if you dont use it.

Everyone who lives in the EU should google INDECT.

See what Social Networks will be used for

Great link and point ...

http://www.indect-project.eu/

The bit that I love is the widgets on the bottom right :)

In some ways being completely transparent will keep you safe, cool, how completely unsafe were we when we didn't have these tools, I lived in fear most of the time until over the world people told me everything about them, what would we have done before this ... :) If servers crash and this data cannot be mined are we all in danger of ourselves? .. Im exaggerating the point obviously.

Edited by mrcash2009

The tin foil hat thing was just a joke, not hinting at any consiracys or anything like that but more to the point where people are so paranoid that they are going to be a victim of identity theft or those that worry about making a status update about downloading a music track and expecting the fbi to kick down their door. I was making a point that if you are so security conscious and so scared of the internet then dont use it.

Well I think that our beloved politicians are wearing this tin foil hat. They must be completely paranoid to develop systems like INDECT

Well it is funny, for google. They are gonna laugh about this 100000$ fee

Yep you're right, the amount is ridiculous but that's the maximum fee this authority can give. Then the justice may do something on its own. Anyway they were cought the hand in the honey pot.

Has anyone tried to create a new facebook account lately?

I tried to create a new one today.

It asked me to provide a cellphone number to verify my identity.

I have created facebook pages in the past and have

never had this come up.

Facebook's statement is that this is a new rule they are implementing

to reduce scams and spamming on facebook. Basically to ensure

that everyone on facebook is a real person.

They also said they wanted to ensure that everyone only

has one facebook page.

Well, I am not stupid enough to provide facebook with my cellphone

number, so I immediately went out to walmart, and paid cash

for a prepaid cellphone(TracFone) as well as additional minutes(which

I also paid cash for). I was not asked for ID, and I easily

activated and tested my new phone's ability to send and receive

texts and calls without giving out any personal info. Not even

an email address.

Well, I got my new facebook account activated, anonymously.

I understand the desire to get rid of the scammers and crap, however,

I still cannot support this policy. It is an obvious breach

of privacy.

Even though facebook assured me that my cellphone number would

not be given out for any reason without my permission, I was still

very annoyed that the number to my new anonymous prepaid phone

was listed in my personal info.

I gave it out for verification purposes ONLY. Including it in my

personal info only supports the idea that facebook is just greedy

for more personal info on its users.

Just another way to get personal info... assholes!

If you really want to reduce or eliminate scammers or spam, use your

noodle Mark! Seriously. I'm sure a smart and crafty man such as yourself

can think of a way without further invading honest people's privacy.

Craigslist does this as well. I understand craigslist is scammer/spammer

paradise, but you guys are gonna lose alot of users with policies

like these.

Has anyone tried making a new facebook account lately?

I want to hear other's experiences and thoughts.

Sad thing is if you have a smartphone and visit facebook with it, they will have your phone number...

Knowing what I know about IED's those phones you mention at Wal Mart worry me more than Facebook.

Sad thing is if you have a smartphone and visit facebook with it, they will have your phone number...

This is why I only access facebook through a computer.

Not only that, I don't have the ability to access facebook

through my phone, or I just don't know how.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

Knowing what I know about IED's those phones you mention at Wal Mart worry me more than Facebook.

Yeah, it will make it easier for insurgents to

get phones to use as triggering devices.

However, atleast most military vehicles are equipped

with some sort of radio wave type jamming devices.

But there are a trillion other ingenious ways to set off

IEDs.

I mean they are virtually impossible to spot...

Hidden inside dead animals or soda cans, loose wiring strewn about, simple pressure plates, command wire, loose wire, "christmas light" wire, extremely rarely timer... etc.

But cellphone detonated ones are especially dangerous because besides

jamming the signal, there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent detonation

unless you have an idea where the trigger man is located.

But the military is aware of these techniques and has implemented

considerable time, training, and energy to counter them.

These countermeasures do work most of the time.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

But this is a discussion of facebook, not issues with counter-insurgency.

Well I was thinking stateside IED's. School buses don't have jammers.

It asked me to provide a cellphone number to verify my identity.
Google has the same when setting up a gmail, although in very small print there is a skip option, but nicely tucked away out of line of sight so you just notice the big words .. which are "Enter a mobile number for confirmation".

Cellphones are perfect for tracking purposes, they are a transmit home GPS in your pocket, and no, thats not paranoia or a theory, thats also why "smart" (sly) phones are "facebook out of the box".

Then PM about it or start a thread that will get closed fast, this IS about facebook.
I was making a point that if you are so security conscious and so scared of the internet then dont use it. Yesterday 01:17 PM
True, there is a balance of being informed and how you react to that. Although its quite surprising that when you do things I asked about photos & facebook with friends how you get put in that "extreme paranoid I should live in a field" assumption based on a simple valid request.

And again Facebook is 1 website on the entire web getting way too much air time, and the assumption is if you dont like it you are scared of the net, which proves another point that more and more people are thinking facebook = the web or the usual top 3 sites ARE the internet, "Internet 2, consolidating the internet into one manageable umbrella". (Thats not direct to you Archemedes, Im just speaking in general)

If face book is a nice simple workable social network site for you friends among lots of others (to choose from) and the entire internet of the world that your free to select, why have they (one website on the internet) got such an lucrative inclusive deal on almost all smart phone manufacturers phone software and widgets and API to nearly every forum and email service (as in "login through facebook" - so any 3rd party email now becomes part of facebooks business) known on the net even though no one pays for it to use it? Becuase the invested interest in such powerful and now real-time data is well funded & backed (and those funders and backers are the ones to look at).

Which proves on its own your information times by everyone else's is worth that investment, even if you think "why would anyone be interested in me / you?".

The irony for me is I find the business of Facebook quite anti social in many ways, not an ounce of paranoia or theory required.

Edited by mrcash2009

Yeah, I also find facebook to be somewhat anti-social.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a website meant for

socialization.

It is really meant for "networking."

If I want to be social, I will call up one of my friends and go out

and do something.

You can't really do that on facebook.

Facebook is great for sharing ideas and keeping in touch

with long distance friends who you do not speak to regularly

on the phone or email.

Then PM about it or start a thread that will get closed fast, this IS about facebook.

Off to Facebook where I can post what I think about you without a ban.

Off to Facebook where I can post what I think about you without a ban.

Im sorry you feel that way, but it was true what I meant, and wasn't personal, just about the thread, read it how you will. A thread about Facebook and mobile phones and IED's ... are a bit far a part that was all.

But if you feel the requirement to spend time on face-book trolling my ID then, well, whatever gets you off I suppose, but I am thinking that was just a reactionary reply ... right :) You can always hurl some direct abuse via PM to me if you want though.

Edited by mrcash2009

Im sorry you feel that way, but it was true what I meant, and wasn't personal, just about the thread, read it how you will. A thread about Facebook and mobile phones and IED's ... are a bit far a part that was all.

But if you feel the requirement to spend time on face-book trolling my ID then, well, whatever gets you off I suppose, but I am thinking that was just a reactionary reply ... right :) You can always hurl some direct abuse via PM to me if you want though.

Everyone PM this guy your hate mail!! Haha!

I don't know I've been banned for threatening PM's elsewhere.

Apache clips? :D

Threatening? Rude, bit of a abuse, disagreements .. fair enough, but > threats?

Wow, the net has it all :) If your insinuating that you would PM a threat (unsure that you are of course), I cant see how you can threaten someone based on highlighting an off topic post, or are you a facebook user and dont like anything spoken against it?

Just interested how it could take so little to get that far really, any thoughts about face-books privacy concerns though?

No it was just a site I no longer wanted to be a part of so I chose to go out with style. Nothing implied on here.

I deleted my facebook once over concerns of the real world but I don't worry anymore. Those were job related. Privacy has never been a concern of mine.

Apache clips? :D

I should still be a member there, never touched the forums though.

Edited by HyperU2