Sign in to follow this  
_raine

ITV fakes terrorist footage using ARMA II

has anyone made the connection to the place Armagh and Arma yet? I guess thats where the researcher went wrong...

:rofl: It wouldn't surprise me........

Cmon, they must have known it was not real. I wouldnt give that channel a credibility score of 10 fo shizz.

Seems there has been a development in this case.

British Media Regulator Investigating Misuse of Video Game Footage As "Secret IRA Terrorism Footage"

British communications regulator Ofcom is investigating how a UK documentary examining possible connections between Muammar Gaddafi and the IRA confused video game play for actual IRA footage of a helicopter being shot down.

Ofcom received dozens of complaints about the misstep and they are investigating to see whether the incident should be considered a breach of its broadcasting code.

Read the full article here (Kotaku.com)

I don't know if I would complain though.. :p

Edited by colossus

Well spotted!

Yes it's true - on page 79 of Ofcom's Broadcast Bulletin Issue number 191 10/09/11 - the program is listed as being under investigation.

"Ofcom Broadcast Bulletin, Issue 191

10 October 2011

Investigations List - If Ofcom considers that a broadcast may have breached its codes, it will start an investigation.

Here is an alphabetical list of new investigations launched between 22 September and 5 October 2011.

Exposure: Gaddafi and the IRA ITV1 London 26/09/2011

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/broadcast-bulletins/obb191/

I don't think any Arma 2 fans would have bothered complaining. It's probably competitors.

That's pretty crazy - what on earth were they thinking?!

they weren't ;)

a nice video on this matter :D

Also an article on pcgamer.com

Haha, now that's fun ;)

Edited by Espectro
Removed youtube preview.

Wow I just heard about this news today. I originally flagged this video on 12/07/2011 and sent it to Dwarden as I myself am from Northern Ireland and came across this video. Here is my PM:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc_conor

Hi,

I have been a fan of OFP,VBS and the Arma series from their beginnings.

I live in Northern Ireland and yesterday i was shopping in the city. Ahead of me in the queue was a group of teenage boys playing various songs/videos including paramilitary media via their mobile device whilst I was in a queue to buy cigarettes.

I inadvertently heard something they were playing which reminded me of noises very similar to Arma 2. When i got home i stumbled upon it.

It is indeed Arma 2 recorded in black and white trying to be passed off as old IRA footage of killing British Soldiers, which some people on youtube believe to be real.

Having served in the British Army i find this disturbing to begin with. But as I believe if young teenage boys are trying to reinact this etc. and say one of them down the line gets caught with a serious paramilitary charge, and Arma 2 is found in their property with these videos etc. it will get blown out of proportion like the Manhunt Fiasco and many others saying it's helping to train IRA members or something along those lines.

All in all this is not extremely likely, but still remains a possibility and violence in this area has been flaring up again recently.

I have posted the links below for you to judge them for yourself if you wish to do anything about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1fQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOvQ...eature=related

Thanks for your time, just keeping a heads up for you guys if you are interested love your work.

mc_conor

there are such videos more or less serious for nearly any games and all the weird fanatical groups ...

if it's too disturbing then i suggest report it to Youtube or w/e service it's hosted on ...

if it breaks some law then report it to the responsible authorities...

nothing we can do on our end ...

OFCOM are still investigating it - wonder what the outcome will be?

Says URL contained a malformed video ID and thus removed.

It is just "yellow journalism" Now I would not mind if they said it was a simulation and not actual footage. And I know some developers are all too happy to have their software used to provide graphics to a story for a suitable fee and with a mention of their software in the story. After 9/11 a lot of news outlets used various flight sim games to provide graphics for their analysis of the attack.

I wonder if the maker of the original youtube video can sue ITV for using his stuff without permission. It would be a pretty easy case to win.

I wonder if the maker of the original youtube video can sue ITV for using his stuff without permission. It would be a pretty easy case to win.

No it would not. I think the Youtube Terms would stop him from doing that

No it would not. I think the Youtube Terms would stop him from doing that
Well, ITV used his content without permission and made money off of it (since it was broadcast).

I'm not a lawyer but it seems like making money from content produced by someone else is enough for a lawsuit, regardless of the Youtube terms.

Especially since ITV broke those terms themselves.

Edited by RangerPL

Could be pretty complicated to get money out of it, but maybe he should try

Why bother? The giggle factor should be enough of a reward. If someone used my video by mistake like this, you would have to sedate me! I can't read this thread without chortling for a good 15mins.

Quick update on the story (PC Gamer):

In September last year, an ITV documentary, Gaddafi and the IRA, ran a clip that they claimed to show an IRA attack on a helicopter. It was actually footage from ARMA 2. While most of the world facepalmed, British TV regulator, Ofcom, launched an investigation. Their verdict is in. They’re not impressed.

The Guardian report Ofcom’s findings, which declared the film “materially misleading†and labelled the error “a significant breach of audience trust, particularly in the context of a public service broadcaster.â€

ITV said that a compliance officer had expressed concern about the footage, but the producers failed to check it. “We considered that there were clear deficiencies in the steps taken by both production and compliance staff for sourcing and verifying the archival content of the helicopter attack in this programme,†Ofcom concluded.

Bohemia CEO Mark Spanel told us that he was “surprised our games apparently may look real enough to some users already that they can not tell it is not real life footage,†adding “I just briefly watched the entire documentary and I still can not believe it as it is overall very serious and lenghtly feature.†We couldn’t believe it either.

Later in the same documentary, footage described as showing riot in Northern Ireland in 2011 was actually of a different riot that occurred years before. ITV blamed deadline pressures and “human error†for both blunders and asserted that the clips were “not a deliberate attempt to mislead viewers.â€

They’ve also promised to improve their compliance procedures, which hopefully means they’ll start watching their films before broadcasting them. Here’s the clip that was accidentally used in the program.

PC Gamer & The Guardian

Hi all

NB My use of Bold in Quoted Text

...ITV said the programme had intended to use footage of "a genuine incident" which had been included in an episode of The Cook Report.

While trying to source "a better version" of the footage, the programme director viewed footage from the internet which "he mistakenly believed... to be a fuller version".

ITV said that "regrettably" the internet footage was not cross-checked and verified by the production staff as being The Cook Report footage...

NB My use of Bold in Quoted Text

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16677640

As always follow the link to the original text in full

When ArmA III comes out BIS will have to insist on a boilerplate on every user video saying:

"This is not real; it is in game footage of the Bohemia Interactive Game ArmA III"

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

BIS, its parent companies and or affiliates are not responsible in the depiction of its content in any video(s) user generated either then what has been provided by BIS, its parent companies and or affiliates

Violation of these terms are in violation of international law and will be lawfully prosecuted to the fullest intent of the beer-lifting law(s)

/LEGAL CLAUSE

Maybe they could put an animated Sion Lenton head on the corner of the video that says Nice.... and spins around and stuff that would be awesome watermark for there videos. :D

Is it just me or does this picture really look like ArmA?

jm_Xinjiang1_BM_Ba_1576964p.jpg

http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article13895568/Tod-mit-dem-Hackmesser-auf-der-Strasse-des-Gluecks.html

("Die Welt" is one of the largest German newspapers)

Edit

The underline of the picture:

"Chinesische Polizeimänner in Xinjiang: Die aktuelle Lage gilt als extrem angespannt"

"Chinese police in Xinjiang: The situation remains extremly tense"

Edited by kavoven