Sign in to follow this  
_raine

ITV fakes terrorist footage using ARMA II

even I had to post on this what a fail from ITV, this is just one of many examples they lie to the population but in this case they failed entirely. Just shows they are willing to make stuff up about things to shift public opinion where they want it.

Agree.

And here we are, laughing at Bagdad-Bob totally convinced our own media is not part of any propaganda machinery.

We're more fucked than we'll ever realize. Ever.

ODEN;2028931']Agree.

And here we are' date=' laughing at Bagdad-Bob totally convinced our own media is not part of any propaganda machinery.

We're more fucked than we'll ever realize. Ever.[/quote']

In terms of attempting a deceptive propaganda coup: I hardly think that an independent television network using a video game recreation of an 23 year old attack that is documented and acknowledged to have happened by both the British government and the PIRA/CIRA (not sure which particular 'IRA' group carried out the attack); is comparable to a government minister standing up before the world's press, stating that there are 'no American forces in Baghdad', while the best part of a US Army division is

raising merry hell on the city's streets.

Just because ITV's reporting is substandard shouldn't be cause to dismiss the importance or validity of an event.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Just because ITV's reporting is substandard shouldn't be cause to dismiss the importance or validity of an event.

Of course it should. This may be a mistake, but nevertheless the broadcasting of videogame footage as evidence in a serious documentary will not convince a single person who is in any way sceptical. Getting this stuff right is important.

Of course it should. This may be a mistake, but nevertheless the broadcasting of videogame footage as evidence in a serious documentary will not convince a single person who is in any way sceptical. Getting this stuff right is important.

My point was that some people here seem to be mistaking an editorial error for a deliberate attempt to create a fictional account of events to justify Britain's current involvement in Libya. The insinuation of describing it all as 'propaganda', is that Libya's links to the IRA's terror campaign were something that ITV or the British government made up to suit foreign policy 20-30 years later.

If they'd not used the fake video, and used the real footage we've seen posted in this thread, or had they captioned the video as a 'reenactment'; would people still be batting around the word 'propaganda'?

Given that we have established context for both the real and fake footage in this thread; believing the event was made up because the footage is fake is as daft as believing the footage was real because it corresponds to a real event.

on the other hand...

My point was that some people here seem to be mistaking an editorial error for a deliberate attempt to create a fictional account of events to justify Britain's current involvement in Libya. The insinuation of describing it all as 'propaganda', is that Libya's links to the IRA's terror campaign were something that ITV or the British government made up to suit foreign policy 20-30 years later.

If they'd not used the fake video, and used the real footage we've seen posted in this thread, or had they captioned the video as a 'reenactment'; would people still be batting around the word 'propaganda'?

Given that we have established context for both the real and fake footage in this thread; believing the event was made up because the footage is fake is as daft as believing the footage was real because it corresponds to a real event.

DMarkwick is underlining my main worry too. The more incidents of this type, no matter how negligent or intentional, turn potential audiences desensitised with History manipulation techniques. It is not simply about the content refering to real events or not, it involves the formality of content transmission.

If this keeps up we'll start to have difficulty distinguishing a newscast from a movie film, this is the threat at hand. Once that barrier has been overcome it becomes much easier to falsify content and the reality benieth to whichever intent.

If you look in perspective, I assume, at the very least, 3 people had the assumed responsability of noticing the issue: Editor, Director, Producer. They all failed... and that, in my book, is just too much mounting negligence.

My point was that some people here seem to be mistaking an editorial error for a deliberate attempt to create a fictional account of events to justify Britain's current involvement in Libya.

The history of Gadaffi's support for international terrorism is well documented and a five minute search of the web will turn up numerous incidents including the interception of ships carrying hundreds of tonnes of weapons.

Just post some links da12thMonkey?

The real vid from the pIRA's own blog is here, it shows a battery of Libyan supplied DShKM 12.5mm machine guns etc supposedly shooting down the Lynx in 1988:

The attacks on RAF helicopters are listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_IRA_South_Armagh_Brigade

"The South Armagh Brigade was by far the most effective IRA brigade in shooting down British helicopters during the conflict. They carried out 23 attacks on British Army helicopters during the Troubles, bringing four down on separate occasions:

-Gazelle in February 1978,

-Lynx in June 1988,

-In 1994 another Lynx and an RAF Puma were shot down in March and July respectively,

-A sustained machine gun attack against a helicopter was filmed by a Dublin television crew in March 1991 outside Crossmaglen Health Center,

-The only successful IRA attack against an Army helicopter outside South Armagh was carried out by the East Tyrone Brigade near Clogher, County Tyrone, on 11 February 1990."

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

ODEN;2029008']So' date=' as a brit you're all free from propaganda influence just like us Swedes?[/quote']

If the IRA did not shoot down a Lynx in 1988 and well documented history is incorrect we would love to see your evidence?

ODEN;2029008']So' date=' as a brit you're all free from propaganda influence just like us Swedes?[/quote']

Not at all; I'm very aware of media bias, and political spin. I'm subjected to it constantly in news surrounding my line of work.

It's merely, the fact that the support for the IRA has been major foreign policy concern for the UK with regards to Libya for the past 30 years (second only to the Lockerbie bombing in terms of public notoriety). It leads me to believe that anybody who thinks it's a newly imagined ploy to sway public opinion must have been living under a rock, because it's patently obvious to anybody who has seen a UK news piece on Libya even before the start of 2011, that would have an influence of the UK's eventual decision to help oust Gaddafi.

The UK's policy on Libya was always far more transparent when relations with Gaddafi were sour then when they were trying to 'improve' them. There was a lot more 'spin' in the attempts to sweep the IRA issues under the rug when Blair wanted to cozy up with Gaddafi, than there has been to 'embellish' them in the case for negative relations.

@gammadust

Yes, DMarkwick's concerns are entirely valid, and I agree with them. I just felt that he misunderstood the intent of my post.

The original YouTube vid from post 1 was removed this evening, possibly someone (I wonder who) complained of copyright infringement. It's back! Thanks to jerryhopper

Yea, i figured that this would happen... so i made a copy :yay:

If its going down again, i'll reupp :)

Laughed so hard at the comment:

"Genuine IRA radio message as intercepted by the DUP:

"ALL. MOVE. TO. THAT. ALL. AT. 12 O CLOCK. 'NEGATIVE.' ROGER.' CAN'T GET THERE.' WHERE ARE YOU?"

So when do we get to see forces from around the globe rushing into the street of Libya or perhaps rebels with T-62's via Arma footage.

if

this execVM camera.sqf [YouTube]

then

txt2 = text "shit shit shit the trainee video edit monkey's uploaded the wrong clip shit shit shit"

then

this addeventhandler ["monkey fired"]

So when do we get to see forces from around the globe rushing into the street of Libya or perhaps rebels with T-62's via Arma footage.

Search YouTube a few are already on lol.

With the attachTo command for gluing bits and pieces together and the various MODs I would say an NTC / Gadaffi battle is hours away? Someone needs to re-skin some flags.

As for Islands/terrain the Desert_E, [ADO] Tropical and [ADO] Yapal look most like Libya?

Hello all

Hmmm, that video footage looked so realistic, obviously not a game at all.

Lazy Journalism at it's best.

rgds

LoK

Oh Comon, BIS, you should have used that for marketing purposes, and let it run a few days :)

I dont really think that is harming the selling of your games.

It is important, but what's happened here is not simply a mistake. The broadcast footage has been altered, seemingly to increase its (nonexistent :)) chances of passing as real.

--the youtube footage has been cropped to 16:9. It didn't do this by itself.

--the audio has been changed, getting rid of the music, changing the machine gun sounds and adding an explosion to punctuate the words 'lucky hit'.

--it's edited from a longer piece and cuts just before the parachutes open, which would ruin its credibility.

--it may be that it's been softened and colour washed out to reduce its game-like appearance. Someone else has already made this point. Hard to be sure from the videos though.

So quite a lot of work went into the video that got broadcast. It wasn't just a bit of youtube dropped in by accident. Even if it *was* an accident that it was included, what are they doing spending time enhancing game footage like this?

In cynical mode, the real footage of the incident is quite boring in televisual terms. The enhanced game clip is much more dramatically interesting. Quite a temptation?

I haven't seen the original so I cannot assess how much work has gone into making it suitable. They definitely should have known better though :)

I haven't seen the original so I cannot assess how much work has gone into making it suitable. They definitely should have known better though :)

The original is

. The reworked footage starts at 46 seconds.

It's disgraceful really. And totally stupid, I agree. :eek:

Hmm, hadn't IRA received American firearms as well? Why don't they make a documentary about that? ;)

Nah, just kidding. To be honest, I'd still watch that documentary. Proxy should do the trick.

From private sympathizers in the US, not from the US Government.

has anyone made the connection to the place Armagh and Arma yet? I guess thats where the researcher went wrong...