Sign in to follow this  
hawk66de

AI not in foucs ?

I've read an interview with Ivan Buchta

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/arma-3/artikel/arma_3,46950,2560283.html

and one of his statement is that in the planned campaign the player would almost be able to win 'alone', that is without any AI support (if he wishes to do so).

That sounds to me, unfortunately, that AI seems not to be the focus of the new release and that the new campaign design in this respect is somehow a 'workaround', reacting on the critics of Arma II regarding this aspect. The question is if this is a desirable solution?

Before Arma II was announced, weren't there some ideas from BIS that they create a real unique AI also in terms of personality and introducing role-play aspects (dynamic chatting with AI soldiers, also about personal stuff, which influences moral and so on)? I have really liked those ideas some years ago because they would bring this (great) series to a new level.

I do not know what the community thinks but for me AI is the most important aspect of simulating a digital battlefield.

But, perhaps it's related to the market situation, where you still sell a game due to it's graphics/content etc and not due to its AI.

A couple of months ago I've listened to a podcast about game development. The guy (an EA game developer/architect) claimed that in future the game industry would shift its focus from visuals to behaviors (AI related stuff) because concerning visuals there wouldn't been substantial improvements possible and it would be hard to create an unique product, which surpasses the competition if not doing so.

I still doubt that we have reached this state...also if you see that more and more folks play 'casual' games on their iPads and smartphones with minimal AIs.

AI is already in the focus right now for 1.60.

And he clarified that statement at another point.

A couple of months ago I've listened to a podcast about game development. The guy (an EA game developer/architect) claimed that in future the game industry would shift its focus from visuals to behaviors (AI related stuff) because concerning visuals there wouldn't been substantial improvements possible and it would be hard to create an unique product, which surpasses the competition if not doing so.

I hope that dude turns out to be right, because I've had my fill of the grandiose graphics and shockingly bad gameplay that pervades the industry nowadays. Give us back the right to choose and to act within the game, and leave the movie making to the movie makers.

Ivan Buchta already said several times that the main focus of improvements of AA3 is AI and Coop.

It's the campaign that is (very unfortunately) aimed at a more casual player.

Ivan Buchta already said several times that the main focus of improvements of AA3 is AI and Coop.

It's the campaign that is (very unfortunately) aimed at a more casual player.

Ok, then I might got it wrong...does anybody have a link with an interview of him where he talks a bit about planned AI stuff and so on?

Ok, then I might got it wrong...does anybody have a link with an interview of him where he talks a bit about planned AI stuff and so on?

Maybe you can judge the effect of AI in ARMA3 from what shows in ARMA2 1.60 and the later versions then.

unlike that EA guy, I actually think AI in the game industry is set to see a cold winter as more and more big titles focus on multi-player online play.

Hi,

I have to fully agree and share the same fears has hawk66de.

At the time I have read that same interview I thought exactly the same, from what Lord Ivan says, they will be making the main SP campaign playable without being limited by the AI, instead of making the AI cope with the things they should.

Now, do I think the Arma 2 AI is bad? Not at all, imho it's the most advanced piece of AI tech in the gaming market.

Do I think it still has a lot of room for improvements, hell yeah.

AI path finding at this point is good for general things, but you can't make an AI go precisely where you want him, they always stay 1-2 meters away. A simple example is near objects, just look at the path finding of an AI near objects, or when it tries to find a way to get inside a vehicle, it goes meters and meters away, when a straight line would suffice.

AI is already in the focus right now for 1.60.

And he clarified that statement at another point.

Very true, and the AI improvements/bug fixes have been making it a lot better in the latest beta patches.

But still, the main problem will be always there I'm afraid, if the current AI path finding is not re-worked or even replaced completely.

_neo_

it goes meters and meters away, when a straight line would suffice

I think this is done on purpose to avoid AI getting stuck.

I think this is done on purpose to avoid AI getting stuck.

Exactly, and that is what I mean, there should be a AI path finding good enough to cope with these little things.

Although, it does not happen with vehicles only, but simple objects such as a wall, table, chair, vase, they just avoid these at all costs, making precision go out of the window.

I'm actually pretty sure that even BIS mission makers would love such an improvement because this way it's hard to make AI do what you want/need.

And there is also AI and objects such as the Utes carrier, AI path finding on objects does not work correctly at all, way different then in normal terrain.

_neo_

If BIS will implement Xaitment like they did in VBS2 maybe pathfinding issues will be resolved

VBS2 got PhysX first and now ArmA3 is getting it too, so there's hope

If BIS will implement Xaitment like they did in VBS2 maybe pathfinding issues will be resolved

Yes, this is something I've been holding my breath, fingers crossed over. Shoot, I'd pay an extra $10 for the licensing fees if need be :D

I'd pay an extra 200:D
Stop bidding and raising the prices! Thre are indeed desktop Sim titles out there that cost 125$ already because people said that "I would pay even 100 more if you do better" sentence too often about the first release. Edited by Beagle

Stop bidding and raising the prices! Thre are indeed desktop Sim titles out there that cost 125$ already because people said that "I would pay even 100 more if you do better" sentence too often about the first release.

I will pay you cookies to stop dissent and join our bidding war!

I bid a Kingdom for a fully working and mountable A.I. horse ;)

This, oh please BIS this!

I hope that dude turns out to be right, because I've had my fill of the grandiose graphics and shockingly bad gameplay that pervades the industry nowadays. Give us back the right to choose and to act within the game, and leave the movie making to the movie makers.

The reason for this is simple: consoles. Graphics wise they have reached there limit some years now wich is why multicrossplatform games today look pretty much like games that are 4 years old. Unfortunatly the same applies with AI. The processors in the consoles are not that powerfull hence why pretty much all MCP games have mediocre AI. The only way to see an increase in both is to go PC only or wait for new consoles to be released.

The reason for this is simple: consoles. Graphics wise they have reached there limit some years now wich is why multicrossplatform games today look pretty much like games that are 4 years old. Unfortunatly the same applies with AI. The processors in the consoles are not that powerfull hence why pretty much all MCP games have mediocre AI. The only way to see an increase in both is to go PC only or wait for new consoles to be released.

Fantastic quote

+1

Hasn't the PS3 -for example- 8 cores and six are accessible concerning game development? I think a major problem is that parallel programming is still in its infancy...but to be fair Arma 2 uses already one core exluslively for AI...think that's pretty (still?) unique.

My point was not so the pathfinding issues but more the higher level AI, also including the rpg aspects

Yes. xAItment is the shit. Every single product in xAItment has applications in RV engine. ARMA would leave other games that heavily rely on AI eating dust.

Hasn't the PS3 -for example- 8 cores and six are accessible concerning game development? I think a major problem is that parallel programming is still in its infancy...but to be fair Arma 2 uses already one core exluslively for AI...think that's pretty (still?) unique.

My point was not so the pathfinding issues but more the higher level AI, also including the rpg aspects

True. but with multicrossplatform games the lowest platform is the xbox360 and therefore the capability's of the PS3 are not used to it's fullest. Wich is why PC gamers have no love for console ports.

Actually the lowest platform is PS3. The CPU is less powerful than that of X360 as well as a videocard (GF6800 vs. Radeon X1900 of X360).

The "8 core CPU!!1" is just a marketing trick. Even PS-fanboys beloved Kojima said PS3 is shit. There's a reason why PS3 games look worse than X360 and have CPU-dependent stuff cut out from them the most if we will take the same title for all 3 platforms.