Sign in to follow this  
LeftSkidLow

How will external loads be handled by TOH?

If you guys have time, could you provide a little info on how the external load and sling/longline features will be implemented.

I'm mostly interested in:

-Whether or not the pilot will be able to look straight down through the skids and use vertical reference flying or will it be done in external views.

-Will the loads swing under the aircraft or will it be a static fixed point like we have seen in ArmA scripting.

-Are different length lines/cables implemented or will that be possible with modding?

If you guys have time, could you provide a little info on how the external load and sling/longline features will be implemented.

I'm mostly interested in:

-Whether or not the pilot will be able to look straight down through the skids and use vertical reference flying or will it be done in external views.

-Will the loads swing under the aircraft or will it be a static fixed point like we have seen in ArmA scripting.

-Are different length lines/cables implemented or will that be possible with modding?

- it think there will be both ways to see that cargo

- i seen the old video VBS2 physx helicopter cargo (Chinook) and the cargo was swinging

- no idea ,but i think it will be moddable

- i seen the old video VBS2 physx helicopter cargo (Chinook) and the cargo was swinging

Post by DNA: TOH will not use PhysX as a physics engine.

So?

Yes, would be nice to have an official answer here. Though, when they hesitating to answer here...what could that mean?:rolleyes:

;2027680']Though' date=' when they hesitating to answer here...what could that mean?:rolleyes:[/quote']

It means that it was the weekend. ;)

If you can maneuver yourself into a position that allows you to see the attached cargo, I don't see why not. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question. Your copilot will also help you out by giving you instructions. Of course, if all else fails, there is indeed still 3rd person view.

Yes, the loads will swing and such depending on the movements of the helicopter carrying them.

Yes, different rope lengths are possible.

Thanks Zipper5! Oh yes, weekend.:)

Could you pls elaborate how slingloads will be done? Will it be similiar to what we have in Arma? An menue appears if the heli is in the near of the cargo? Will it be theoretical possible to attach i.e. a heavy weight container, but it could not be actualy liftet because the weight exceeds the helis lift capabilities? Does the cargo and containers will have a own weight and if I fail to place a container on another one will it fall down physically correct?

You know, I´m teased from the physic vids about Arma3. What physics system (if there is one) can we expect in ToH?

Edited by EagleEye[GER]

Regarding sling operation, the mirror should allow us to see the attached cargo, another point is if we will we be able to take out the pilot door to look down.

Regarding sling operation, the mirror should allow us to see the attached cargo, another point is if we will we be able to take out the pilot door to look down.

It's certainly possible to open the door and lean out to look around with TrackIR currently, the mirror may need adjusting though.

;2027708']Will it be similiar to what we have in Arma? An menue appears if the heli is in the near of the cargo?

The standard solution in the community is attachTo' date=' or a setPos loop in the past, possibly combined with a static rope object. We actually have ropes that move realistically depending on the forces acting on them, induced by the environment, the helicopter, and the load itself. As for the actual attaching, when you get near the attachable object you lower your helicopter to an appropriate height and stabilize it, then the rope will be dropped down to the cargo and hooked. Cargo will automatically be detached from the helicopter when you reach a location, or you'll get an option in your action menu to manually detach it. Whichever method you get depends on the design of the mission you are playing.

;2027708']Will it be theoretical possible to attach i.e. a heavy weight container, but it could not be actualy liftet because the weight exceeds the helis lift capabilities?

Yes, you will need to make sure you're using the appropriate helicopter for certain loads, as you can easily push the engine too far with overly-heavy loads, causing the engine to become damaged or entirely disabled. Some loads are simply way too heavy for any of the helicopters to lift without breaking their engines.

;2027708']Does the cargo and containers will have a own weight and if I fail to place a container on another one will it fall down physically correct?

You know' date=' I´m teased from the physic vids about Arma3. What physics system (if there is one) can we expect in ToH?[/quote']

As previously confirmed, TKOH does not use PhysX. I don't believe placing a container unevenly on top of another will have a reaction any different to how it is in ARMA 2. However, it is also not entirely the same system used in ARMA 2. Every attachable object has weight associated with it that determines if it can be lifted, and which helicopter is required to do so. Ropes can also break under certain conditions, causing your cargo to fall to the ground. And, as already mentioned, the rope and cargo are affected by other physical factors. Helicopters are also realistically affected by the weather.

Yes, you will need to make sure you're using the appropriate helicopter for certain loads, as you can easily push the engine too far with overly-heavy loads, causing the engine to become damaged or entirely disabled.

Oh, and how did you come to find this out, I wonder.... :p

edit: jokes aside, we've got some new information about our rope simulation coming up in support of our Paris presence, i.e. soon..!

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Thanks for the straight answers Zipper5.

It confirms yet again that community interaction is still something BIS excels in compared to most other developers :)

I'll also add that there's a suite of rope-based script commands people can use (some already available in the CP, but undocumented). There could easily be other uses than what we initially launch with: fast-roping, winching and sling loading.

Additionally, if a talented add-on maker would like to overhaul the mechanics and make it a lot more in-depth for example, it's flexible enough to allow that. Our mechanics are at a level of abstraction we selected to suit our gameplay (a similar approach seen in the engine start procedure), but nothing is stopping the awesome community to modify / expand them :)

I'm curious, does TKOH simulate helicopters on floats and boat-like hulls for 3rd party?

Will TAKOH have new fonts suitable for modding in avionics? Specifically asking for fixed width LED and Courier style fonts.

Will TAKOH have new fonts suitable for modding in avionics? Specifically asking for fixed width LED and Courier style fonts.

Can I get a WTF?

Will TOH render raindrops and working wipers?

SamB

Will TOH render raindrops and working wipers?

SamB

As I saw no. Mabye in the future plans in patch or samething else?

That's a great shame IMHO. Hope it'll get fixed in the future updates...

Sam

@YoYo

Hi

are there some warn lights and sounds in the cockpit in the beta :confused:

Edited by AS350

@YoYo

Hi

are there some warn lights and sounds in the cockpit in the beta :confused:

No, not yet. I did demage of engine if I did something wrong but without warn lights.

No, not yet. I did demage of engine if I did something wrong but without warn lights.

that sound´s not so good:(

for some it´s maybe not very important when there are no warn lights in the cockpit glow, but by the simulator friends, you will not score, i think:(

In my opinion it is very likely that there will be audio and visual warnings in the final game