Sign in to follow this  
Peter_Bullet

More accessible mission design

What about a big campaign where at the start you can select 'who' or 'how' you want to play it?

Me, I really have a hard time ordering AI units, it's not that I don't know HOW but I just don't have the tactical insight to make it work. I'd rather play as a team member throughout the whole campaign, or as a medic as part of a squad. I want to be able to select that and stay in that role for the whole campaign.

Someone else will want to play with High Command in every mission, build the campaign to allow for both ways of playing.

Add roles for armored units and pilots and build around one big military campaign. No need to have all the same missions available but I recon most can be used for all available roles.

This will allow the Campaign to still show what the game is up to and the players to play in a way how they like to.

Best would be also a default role that switches between the available roles like in CWC.

I know it doesn't fit the described campaign for ArmAIII but don't you guys think this would 'fix' multiple issues people have with the campaigns?

Think about the replay value and how you can grow into the game completing the campaign on all available roles.

However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.

Looks like the player has to make his way to friendly forces/local group alone, fight with them and lead them to the Happy End.

It would be interesting if the player is able to make the "wrong" decisions and continue:

1) on the "dark side" (traitor) or

2) become a rebel/renegade to fight for a better glory/become El Presidente of Limnos or

3) if he can withdraw from the island and try to settle down on Nogova/Everon, Sahrani/Porto or Chernarus...

Other games/campaigns lack such a decision making + consequence and put the player back on the Blufor track. No matter how hard he tries to be evil or rebellish or free roaming.

Well Harvest Red had a few endings, from hooray everybody is happy to OMG we are all so f****. I bet the Arma 3 campaign will have multiple endings as well

Please master, tell me about this great capability you and these badass others have. :o

The video shows nothing special and is pretty boring if you ask me.

But again, sure the High-Command module can be fun if the mission is small size and well done.

the point of referencing the video was not to show you something "special" - it was to prove the basic point that many people are able to work with expressive squad and high command to execute a clear, planned and definite approach to an objective. that is the value of expressive command (for me at least). you may not like the way the player in the vid executed his objective but he clearly has more skill than you.

"wah wah, the interface is so complex and clunky...please remove everything so that ArmA no longer makes me feel inadequate each time I load it up"

I think _you're_ "clunky" - clunky in the brain. :o

Seriously, is this what we have been reduced to?

At least you guys do make a few pretend arguments before you start flinging poo all over the place. :D

Edited by Hund

I sense a disturbance in the force... as if millions of brain cells have died due to missplaced anger... :)

@ ghost101

Hey, now i feel offended ! :p

I dont know why you think that im not able to play ArmA correctly just because i think controls, the interface and command menu should be streamlined...

"wah wah, the interface is so complex and clunky...please remove everything so that ArmA no longer makes me feel inadequate each time I load it up"

I think _you're_ "clunky" - clunky in the brain. :o

A forum is a place to expose different point of views. Those smart comments are really unnecessary.

@ ghost101

Hey, now i feel offended ! :p

I dont know why you think that im not able to play ArmA correctly just because i think controls, the interface and command menu should be streamlined...

There is a difference between streamlined controls and "Dragon Rising" like controls(which you like). DR was made for consoles which have limited UI capability's due to the crappy controller they use. Just look at Rage and Skyrim. Those games have controls meant for consoles which make them using on the PC feel awkward and annoying because those developers are too lazy or too cheap to put in proper controls for the PC versions.

The words "dumbing down" and "accessibility" usually causes bad reactions on this forum because they are associated with PC IP's going multicrossplatform and getting ruined because of it. More accessible mission design maybe achieved trough a longer campaign but putting in a console type UI would not be helpful.