Sign in to follow this  
adzc

Manhatten mission - Hearing 3 shots being insta killed on 3rd, happens randomly.

Hi guys, i have Arma II steam version, im on the Manhatten mission. When i seem to get near vishnoye as part of the mission, i suddenly hear about 3-4 gunshots with the last round an instant kill, now this happens at all sorts of random times near vishnoye, including straight after jumping out a helicopter, even going prone straight away does not deter the rounds.

from begining of mission i have -

Gone to the contact to arrest, house blows up. Done

Gone to arrest the woman, take to LZ, defend, chopper blows up main ChDk camp, picks up contact. Done

Goto the town to search for weapons cache, speak to priest, go to next town speak to NAPA, give intel about possible ChDK west of Vishnoye.

Then i have had a number of things happen when attempting to head to vishnoye -

Walk the whole way from the NAPA informants, get to outskirts, shooting thing

Drop off from Heli about 300m away, walk towards town the shooting thing happens

Land right beside town, shooting straight after landing

If I Actually manage to get into Vishnoye, see ChDk running around as friendlys? Shooting results in own team killing me. Eventually i get shot as above.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have restarted mission countless times, done the objectives above in dif orders and its driving me nuts.

Its not a sniper (the gunshots are always close), its always on the 3rd shot im hit and dead, i want to say it is one of my team but i hear no order etc and i havent seen them shoot at me.

This happens on Vanilla ArmaII and i have tried with ACE also and always same result.

Edited by Foxhound

I know there are some missions that have similar scripts to keep you in the "playing-field" because they realistically can't populate the whole island .(it would bring even the most powerful systems to a crawl, not to mention entity limits). They do this because more than likely there's no other enemy units beyond that point, otherwise you could run around for hours and never see anyone even tho you're in "enemy" territory

However I'm not very familiar with the mission so it could be a bug/bad script

Edited by No Use For A Name

Its one of the campaign missions from Harvest Red, so its a BI mission. I dont think its that because its someone within the mission tells me that the area has ChD forces to the west of the town.

I have completed Manhattan mission three times and I don't remember anyone there telling to go west of Vyshnoye or anywhere near that.

The southest place I remember worth visiting is Novy Sobor after first visiting Gorka.

I agree it is a "out of mission area killzone" automatically killing Cooper when with a script. There is one in almost every mission of Harvest Red campaign. The fact that you find some enemies of friendlies there is not related to the fact that script kills it is just a coinsidence. Those troops have started inside mission area and moved there later on. It is not new that there are some troops outside mission area. Just take go to UAV and see that there are many some friendly unit markers in southcoast of Chernarus.

Just give up trying to get there, it is nothing that would be required for perfect completion of Manhattan.

BTW. I informed moderators to move this thread to the right place which is OFFICIAL MISSIONS.

Yeah that's exactly what happens if you stray out of the play area with the Zone Restriction module.

I have never noticed this, and must say I am really disappointed to learn that there are restrictions on where you can go in some missions. Isn't one of Arma's main features the freedom and openness?

I understand that you can't populate a whole huge map like Chernarus, but then just leave the areas away from where the mission is empty, it's no big deal. I'd much rather walk around on an empty map if I leave the mission area than suddenly being inexplicably killed.

Edited by Johan S

According to experiences by me and some others this happens atleast here:

in Harvest Red when trying to go areas north of Gorka

in Manhattan when trying to go areas south of Vysnoye

in Bitter Chill when trying to go all the way south to USMC Khe Sahn

in Dogs Of War when trying to go as north as areas south of Krasnostav airfield

If you go by helicopter it looks like you were rocketed

If you go by vehicle it looks like you were rocketed

If you go on foot it looks like you were shot by invisible sniper

The weird thing is that there are "it is not too late to turn back yet"-areas where you can order your team to disembark and they are not killed, but if you disembark yourself you are killed instantly. This is probably because otherwise some enemy or friendly AI troops that are on reserve behind this kill area would also be killed by this script. So it only applies to human controlled player I guess.

Yea, i went thru some of the dialogue, i mis heard the name, i was heading for the wrong town lol.

It's probably a zone restriction module. It happens the same on another mission, where the player dies after three shots if he approaches to Chernogorsk or Elektrozavdosk. As far as I remember, going to Vyshnoye is usless during Manatthan mission.