Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Raid 0

At work we recently built some new computers running four 500GB drives in RAID0. The performance increase is quite substantial (~350%) compared to a single drive. This got me thinking about doing a RAID0 setup at home for increased performance.

I realize there is a x4 chance of HDD failure using RAID0, but if I back up all my data on a 1.5TB external drive I think I'll be fine.

I know ArmA 2 reads/writes to the disk a lot while you are on your travels throughout the game world, loading textures and such. Would I see any improvement in-game using a four drive RAID0 configuration? (~350% increase in read/write time and disk access speeds)

Thank you for your time.:)

My raid array was pretty fast. You'll likely see some improvement, like the improvement people see using SSDs.

I used mirror raid that probably why I can fraps game at 1680x1050 at 25-50fps.

But I never try play without raid.

I have a RAID 0 with 2 disks and to be honest, it doesn't "feel" much faster.

But i plan to get 2 SATA3 SSD's and put them in a RAID 0: ~550MB/s x2!

I used mirror raid that probably why I can fraps game at 1680x1050 at 25-50fps.

But I never try play without raid.

mirror raid is not striping, so you shouldn't get any performance benefit... at least I don't think so. mirroring makes a redundant copy in case of a disc failure.

mirror raid is not striping, so you shouldn't get any performance benefit... at least I don't think so. mirroring makes a redundant copy in case of a disc failure.

I think this is correct.

Well, I changed my raid-0 SSD system from sata2 to sata3 Kingston HyperX SSD (read 555mb/s-write 510mb/s) raid-0 yesterday and I couldnt see big difference compared to old SSD. How ever the difference was huge after going from normal HDD system for SSD raid-0. Definately recommend system for all. Everything loads up just in secods.

Maltti

I noticed less stuttering when I went from 1 Raptor to 2 in Raid0.

Tho, that was back in 07' and with a pair of 8800GTX/SLI.

Daily backups are a must.

How are the reliability on those things? More than five years ago I had some really bad experiences with WD. I'm going to need some rock solid drives for RAID0.

My raid array was pretty fast. You'll likely see some improvement, like the improvement people see using SSDs.

I've got a SSD RAID array, and yeah, 'tis awesome. Strongly recommend it.

Haven't had any troubles re: reliability as of yet (it's almost 2 years old now), but early days.

How are the reliability on those things? More than five years ago I had some really bad experiences with WD. I'm going to need some rock solid drives for RAID0.

Only 1 WD drive I've owned died before the 5 yr warranty expired. I never actually counted them between personal use or used in friends pc's I've built, but I'm sure it's 4-5 dozen. A few have been replaced just for more capacity.

I would give 9 of 10 for reliability.