Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

ACE for OA 1.12

Dont forget that with ACE wounds, the kill effect might not be instant, but (especially if the target starts moving) he will bleed to death rather quickly, and also slip into unconscioussness.

This is partially for gameplay reasons so there is still a chance to get patched up by a medic (though never 100% heal), upon 1-2 hit.

I guess what we could add on top of that is using setSkill to reduce the AI's effectiveness (or basically even make completely ineffective depending on severity).

Other than that I suppose Robalo could tweak some of the round's properties.

Also headshots should basically always be instant death.

Edited by Sickboy

Yeah, it is a good idea.

I know exactly what you mean Sickboy, rarely are bullet impacts instant kills, but the problem is, that when they are wounded, the only negative impact for them seems to be not being able to walk, if they can walk, then they can function normally and shoot back fine, so I would not say they are incapacitated.

Maybe a solution aswell is for the wounding to the a "pain" state, which I think has previously been discussed, it allows for a wound that isn't an instant kill to still incapacitate them, so they are not able to shoot back, it also still allows being healed by a medic, obviously for lighter wounds the current system is fine where you bleed but an still move and shoot.

SetSkill is another way, but it is sure to frustrate players when they sprint around the corner after recieving a sucking chest wound.

If you actually do make an effort to change the mechanics of this, then I would greatly appreciate it.

I am liking where this is going.

I find my self pumping 2-3 rounds from a tac 50 to get a kill on some servers.

This may be becasue the server was setup incorrect (extended Armour etc).

But I did a few tests with latest BETA last night and it is getting better I drop them first time with tac50 to the head at 1000m.............well most of the time and with ACE wounds so its getting good :).

Thanks ACE team for this great mod and thanks BIS for this awesome game to begin with.

I cant wait for ARMA3 :)

EDIT

Just to quote

"If you actually do make an effort to change the mechanics of this, then I would greatly appreciate it."

I to would love to see a better system in place I hate to get a center mass shot at say 1000m from a tac50 and see them stand there like it never happened I dont care about the kill or the score I do think how ever they should be out of action and show this.

Edited by stk2008

Hmmm, usually with .50 cals I am fine, that is strange, but could be possible.

Anyway I hope some of this gets taken into consideration, after playing arma with ACE for about a year and a half I am definitely noticing things getting better.

We're looking into it.

@stk; Make sure to disable "Enhanced Armor" Difficulty setting (Ingame options), have the Wounds Module placed, and restart the mission fully,

and to test with the very latest arma2 oa beta patch: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Do shaped charge weapons still kill units on the other side of walls/hard cover?

I saw it in the features list for ArmA, and have had some contradictory test results.

Correct, the interesting part is that these kinds of issues could've been solved months ago (if not years), if only server-admins/clients experiencing these issues would report their dumps to BIS CIT.

It's a bug in the game, we were unable to reproduce it in test environment, and even if we could, we can't fix it (BIS can), and a workaround probably would cut in core elements that define ACE. But in any case as long as we cannot reproduce it, a workaround is out of the question too.

I never knew that. Meaning the "cannot reproduce" part. This issue is so old I was sure it simply wasn't fix-able. I also don't remember when I had someone with vanilla join a server and NOT make it crash, which makes the "cannot reproduce" even more surprising. We even had a friend hosting a server (non-dedicated) and his game crashed as soon as a random guy joined in.

I never knew that. Meaning the "cannot reproduce" part. This issue is so old I was sure it simply wasn't fix-able. I also don't remember when I had someone with vanilla join a server and NOT make it crash, which makes the "cannot reproduce" even more surprising. We even had a friend hosting a server (non-dedicated) and his game crashed as soon as a random guy joined in.
If you could share the exact reproduce steps, attach the mission, when to join, how many players (preferably 1 on the server, and 1 has to join :P), etc, we can take a look at it again.

But it's much more important to post the crashdumps to CIT.

Just had a strange one playing locally hosted Dom, I was killed by the tail rotor of a stationary helo after exiting my own. Can't seem to repro in editor, that's not in a module is it?

GeyL2VOSGY0

Just had a strange one playing locally hosted Dom, I was killed by the tail rotor of a stationary helo after exiting my own. Can't seem to repro in editor, that's not in a module is it?

GeyL2VOSGY0

IIRC tail rotors only kill people in MP.

Regarding the Wound system:

Would it be possible to put in an option that says if you're wounded you wont die, allowing someone to rescue and heal you.

Myself and some friends love playing CooP with ACE on as it adds so much to the game, but we'd like an option to make it less brutal, either for when we're playing drunk or when we're introducing a new person to the game.

I know there are other revive scripts and so on for the game, but it'd be nice to have the diagnosis and treatment aspect of ACE involved, a sort of middle ground between arcade and hardcore realism.

What is the definition of badly wounded? Are there various levels of bleeding between Bleeding and Badly Bleeding? These are the only diagnoses you can get with the interaction button, although the units are sometimes able to bandage themselves and sometimes not.

If you could share the exact reproduce steps, attach the mission, when to join, how many players (preferably 1 on the server, and 1 has to join :P), etc, we can take a look at it again.

But it's much more important to post the crashdumps to CIT.

I just tried it with a friend and it didn't crash... But I specifically remember both Zeus server and a friend's hosted server crashing in the past. Maybe it only happens (or is more likely to happen) when there are more players connected? And/or maybe when the joining players has some other mod loaded? In any case, this actually happened often enough for Zeus to password the server to stop just that.

I just tried it with a friend and it didn't crash... But I specifically remember both Zeus server and a friend's hosted server crashing in the past. Maybe it only happens (or is more likely to happen) when there are more players connected? And/or maybe when the joining players has some other mod loaded? In any case, this actually happened often enough for Zeus to password the server to stop just that.
Hehe, see my point? :)

Yes these are all possibilities, hopefully someone narrows it down exactly and we can look at workarounds, yet as earlier pointed out, really the crash dumps should be sent to BIS so they can hopefully fix the actual underlying problem.

This would be the most ideal solution as this issue shouldn't be limited to just ACE.

Tweaks to the wounding system are looking promising.

Main feats; Chance of incapacitation is increased considerably (unconsciousness etc), head-shot lethality has increased, no additional bleeding when there's no penetration (e.g body armor stopped it, or damage from short falls etc).

Additional pain-state is unsure, both bleeding and pain can make you enter the (temporary and permanent) unconsciousness state etc, so.

Still planning to look at setSkill usage for lowered AI performance depending on wounding state.

Should be available for testing at our ACE update coming Friday.

Edited by Sickboy

no additional bleeding when there's no penetration
especially looking forward to this

no additional bleeding when there's no penetration (e.g body armor stopped it, or damage from short falls etc).

AWESOME. This is SO annoying, falling like 2 feet and I start bleeding.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Did the copy map feature get removed in a previous version or did it get moved to another key binding?

I am wondering about this as well, and I didn't see a reply about this. Tried to use it the other day and the menu option wouldn't show up for both me and another guy trying to use it.

I am wondering about this as well, and I didn't see a reply about this. Tried to use it the other day and the menu option wouldn't show up for both me and another guy trying to use it.

Make sure to have the map tools in inventory, get close to someone that you want to copy from, then use the interaction key. If the copy option is not there, it's probably a bug.

Is it possible to make a weapon jam when a trigger is activated? something along the lines of: weaponjam = true

Is it possible to make a weapon jam when a trigger is activated? something along the lines of: weaponjam = true

There is no API as far as i know but as always you can dig into the code and search for it :P. In this case:

[_ammo] spawn ace_sys_overheating_fnc_stoppage;

for a triger, the ammo parameter its not really used, and you must asing the result to something(i really hate that stupid thing of the editor), so it would be somethig like:

x=[] spawn ace_sys_overheating_fnc_stoppage;

But, it's not an API funcion so future changes in ACE can make that stop working so use at your own risk :P.

Thanks for your help columdrum.

I should have mentioned I'm very new to this. I tried putting that code in a trigger as is, and when I activated it it just stopped my keyboard from working. What exactlly do I put into it to make my weapon jam? where do I write the unit name etc.

Thanks for your help columdrum.

I should have mentioned I'm very new to this. I tried putting that code in a trigger as is, and when I activated it it just stopped my keyboard from working. What exactlly do I put into it to make my weapon jam? where do I write the unit name etc.

Then you should start with easier things, start with the basic and then move step by step ^^.

And about the keyboard freezing... well obviously you did something wrong. The funtion doesnt have any soldier parameter because its a local funcion, that must be executed on the client machine and jams the local player, and obviusly only affects players. So you will need to understand how locality works in arma2 to just jam the weapons of units you want and when you want.

It worked fine for me:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p0to4g74bca797l