Sign in to follow this  
walker

The Thing 2011

That was actually a quote from my squad leader in an old unit i was in. But bitches are cute i dont want them dying. People arent cute and lovable so i dont care. I love bitches. I have 3 of them.

Edited by solidsnake2384

bitches are cute i dont want them dying. People arent cute and lovable so i dont care.
Well, it was just a bit of a joke, but now you worry me, especially when its a film and no one actually gets hurt including any animals .. becuase its a film and not real. Edited by mrcash2009

Hi all

A remake of the classic The Thing film

Release Date: 10/14/2011

Wonder if it will be as good as the John Carpenter version with Kurt Russell in the lead?

Kind Regards walker

tipical bullshit i like to see :)

Well, it was just a bit of a joke, but now you worry me, especially when its a film and no one actually gets hurt including any animals .. becuase its a film and not real.

You mean to tell me this isnt real?!

Hello all,

I wonder if there'll be a love story in the prequel? (have we confirmed its a prequel yet?)

Good looking, square jawed Americans and a "pretty lady". Gotta happen. It is Hollywood after all.

All they need is an gruff (but heart of gold) african american seargent type and wisecracking side kick (american italian or teenager or perhaps mini "thing") and all the boxes will be ticked.

After the hideous "thing" that was Tron 2, I don't have high hopes. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

I always wondered about the poor Norwegen chap in the chair with his wrists cut and have often hoped we'd get to see his back story.

Also, if it's a prequel, then surly the girlie has to die in it as only two nords make it out with the chopper, and we know what happened to them.

rgds

LoK

Looks really weak, I'm not going to watch this film. The Thing doesn't need remakes or prequels.

Well, it was just a bit of a joke, but now you worry me, especially when its a film and no one actually gets hurt including any animals .. becuase its a film and not real.

Unless it's an Italian cannibal movie that is.

Back to the topic, LOVED Carpenter's Thing, one of my favorites of all time. Such good music too. As his others did, like Halloween and Escape From NY.

Looks like they've decided to dig up and rape another classic, huh ?

Yet another remake a perfect movie that doesn't even need remaking...lame.:(

Even by today's standards the FX are totally amazing, far more convincing than all the CGI stuff of today

Hello all,

I wonder if there'll be a love story in the prequel? (have we confirmed its a prequel yet?)

Good looking, square jawed Americans and a "pretty lady". Gotta happen. It is Hollywood after all.

All they need is an gruff (but heart of gold) african american seargent type and wisecracking side kick (american italian or teenager or perhaps mini "thing") and all the boxes will be ticked.

After the hideous "thing" that was Tron 2, I don't have high hopes. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

I always wondered about the poor Norwegen chap in the chair with his wrists cut and have often hoped we'd get to see his back story.

Also, if it's a prequel, then surly the girlie has to die in it as only two nords make it out with the chopper, and we know what happened to them.

rgds

LoK

Oh, no doubt at all they will include these really tired and unnecessary conventions for today's PC crowd (I hope they use anyone but Ryan "Mr. Derp" Reynolds for the token wisecracker).

Dont get me wrong, the FX in the first remake are outstanding but to state that they are more convincing then "all the CGI stuff of today"

you have to be blind.

Dont get me wrong, the FX in the first remake are outstanding but to state that they are more convincing then "all the CGI stuff of today"

you have to be blind.

Idk, i agree with him. CGI sucks for horror. Maybe for these superhero movies or whatnot it's ok, but i'll take some good old Tom Savini fx in my horror movies ANY DAY over CGI.

Hello all

even though some of the effects are looking a little ropey by today's standards, I still find myself wincing and generally being freaked out when watching "the Thing".

I also have to look away during most of the "Dog Scene".

No other film makes me hide under the duvet as much after ive watched it, although "the Woman in Black" gives me the heebie jeebies too.

rgds

LoK

Carpenter's movie is one of the rare movies I can watch once a week and it still wouldn't be boring (including Alien/s, Predator etc.)

My hope for this one is that it would be entertaining enough for one view.

It's not a remake, it's a prequel and judging from what people who have seen the pre screenings have said, it's apparently pretty good.

Again, I'll reserve final comments until after I've seen the new one.

I also own the Blu Ray of the Carpenter version and it is bloody brilliant :D

Hi all

A remake of the classic The Thing film

Wonder if it will be as good as the John Carpenter version with Kurt Russell in the lead?

Kind Regards walker

Seems like mankind is still telling the same tales over and over again. Once every stortyteller made his remake of the tale, today every moviemaker thinks he has to do the same....but to tell a new story you have to shift the perpective....would like to see the story from the aspect of the Thing trying to make contact to the stupid humans that simply refuse to "understand" ;)

Seems like mankind is still telling the same tales over and over again. Once every stortyteller made his remake of the tale, today every moviemaker thinks he has to do the same...

Well, George Lucas is an exception here, he thinks its enough to let some characters say an additional ' NOOOOOO' here and there to get the ppl to buy his old stories on Bluray ;)

would like to see the story from the aspect of the Thing trying to make contact to the stupid humans that simply refuse to "understand"

Uhm, so you'd love to get your DNA mixed & replaced by Alien DNA?

Plz PM me the city you live in so i can make a big way around you hahaha :D

)rStrangelove;2035047']...Uhm' date=' so you'd love to get your DNA mixed & replaced by Alien DNA? ...[/quote']

Hi all

This raises an interesting point of moral ethical and practical dilema on the nature of self.

By the way I would raise here also the film Skyline which is a variant of the Thing theme.

Warning key plot item to film Skyline

In the film Skyline the hero is able to fight the hegemonising life form by gaining a partial immunity to the hive mind portion of the attack VIA recovering from the initial infection due to intervention of others who drag him away before the attack can take root.

First off your DNA is being re written by your environment as you read this but your immune system reverses most of this. The exceptions are: what cause cancer; essentially the Thing is an infectious cancer; like that which is currently killing off the Tasmanian Devil. The other major exception are the mutations that evolve your DNA and allow it to gain a survival advantage.

So here is the ethical moral and practical dilema if an external entity evolves you, as does any other factor in your environment, and your mind remains the same but as part of greater being is that good or bad?

Is this affected by your ability to remain a singular entity, just an evolved one?

What about machine integration?

What about your thoughts being evolved by participation in debate like this forum, or VIA education or even the watching of a film?

What is the nature of your very own self?

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Lol walker, i love your posts :D

Hmmmm. As a human being my 'job' is to reproduce (rather important) and find a natural balance in my environment (optional) - oh, and enjoying Life[tm] itself (fun reasons).

As such everything getting into my DNA and making me want to kill other humans is definitely NOT the cause of nature and could lead to the end of all human Life[tm] as we know it.

Well, hope their up to the task of matching the ratings on the previous one according to this list ;) Btw, anyone else seen Suspiria listed here at #9? It's, well, special :p An orgy of sound and colors - more artistic and awesome than scary, but I guess nothing scares me anymore except maybe the tax man. Sadly, also Suspiria is rumored heading for a remake :(

)rStrangelove;2035065']

As a human being my 'job' is to reproduce (rather important) and find a natural balance in my environment.

No payrise at your annual review! You have failed at least 50% of that lol

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

)rStrangelove;2035493']"The Only Thing More Terrifying Than The Last 12 Minutes Of This Film Are The First 92."

Lol :rolleyes:

Gawd save us......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8zbV_fFkYs

Well, told ya it was special :) Again, I don't find it scary at all (nothing is), but coming from visual arts also with musical background, I find it to be a masterpiece for those reasons alone. Look at the details, i.e in this scene (don't watch if you intend to see whole movie). Use of color themes border to the extreme. Notice the high doorknobs - they are high for a reason :D Check out the soundtrack. Warning, the riff will follow you for life :D

If you like odd movies, how about Night Watch and Day Watch (Night Watch 2), Russian (yeah, I know, surprised the hell out of me too) blockbusters of quite extreme visuals (artistically speaking). Unlike western movies, they go over the top without attempting to pass it on as realistic, yet they don't go all the way over the top either, like i.e.

(try not to laugh throughout this one :D). Edited by CarlGustaffa

Saw the movie. There were some nice moments but it didn't have the same atmosphere as the original, and spent too much time on the monster(s). Many dramatic opportunities were completely missed. There wasn't the same sense of paranoia and the movie didn't really attempt to engage psychologically. There were a couple of scenes that really clicked for me. I kept thinking about how much this movie sucked when I was watching it, but a couple of scenes pulled it out of the fire. All in all I would say as a 90 minute pass-time, it's passable (even if it's just the fun you get tearing it apart afterwards). As a horror film, it's poor, and as a prequel, it fails to measure up to the original, full stop. The effects were more dynamic, but many of the cg scenes seemed just as fake as the practical effects, but in a different way.

I would recommend going to see it out of morbid curiousity. Stay away from it completely if you can't stand to be disappointed.