Sign in to follow this  
nzdfcrash

How to get Pylons to play nice with swept wing animation

Any ideas on how to get the pylons to stick to the wing without adding to the same selection which causes extremes ie bomb racks sticking 80 degrees to the opposite direction?

I haven't done this but from what I've read, I have gathered:

Make the wings and the bomb racks separate selections.

Make the bomb racks children of the wings selection in cfgSkeletons.

Place the pivot axis for the wings in the mempoints LOD

Place the pivot axis for the bomb racks in one (all?) geo res LOD.

Make the pivot axis for the bomb racks part of the wing selection.

Rotate the wings and bomb racks using the wing sweep axis the desired amount (via the speed animation controller or what have you).

Counter rotate the bomb racks the same amount in the same speed range.

For the bomb rack animation, you will have to put in the parameter

memory = 0;

I think this should work, but like I say, I've not done something exactly like this before. If that doesn't work, try making the bomb racks also part of the wings selection. If that doesn't work, try separating them and making a new identical wing sweep animation for the bomb racks to sweep them as they are counter rotated by the other animation.

Edited by Max Power

Thank you rock and max will apply to the model cfg when i get home in a few hours. You have helped immensely if this works

ArmA2OA2011-09-2014-55-33-32.jpg

It worked for the most part although there is one somewhat noticeable issue with the pylons which is the wingsweep when fully swept the pylons have a habit of merging with the air intake. My temporary solution originally was to move the pylons further apart and further down the wing yet this only works until the sweep is at 60%, anymore and they merge with the air intake however i have a feeling in reality they werent able to go any further when fully loaded like this.

raaf-f-111_1_.jpg

- Your pivot point for each pylon should be a vertex in the first Resolution LOD (or any Res lod for that matter).

- That pivot point should have TWO names

- One name should be like LEFT_WING

- The other name is like axis_pylonLeftFirst

This way the pivot point moves WITH the wing.

I'd suggest the pivot point would need to be near the FRONT of each actual pylon (but no further than the leading edge of the wing). There should be little chance then of the pylon contacting the air intake.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Currently the pivot points are sitting in the center of the pylon, will adjust to be sitting in the front of all pylons and post the effect of such.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

thanks gnat your solution of moving the memory points just short of the leading edge of the wing fixed the merging issue that had arose.