Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Two computer's cannot connect to one server.

Here is the setup:

1. Two computers.

2. One house.

When one person is playing in-game, it works great. When my brother joins ANY server from the server list, I get a "No Message Received" and I am forced to quit. He receives "connecting failed" messages until I am ejected from the game I am in. After I leave the server, he is allowed to join whatever server he wants. What can we do specifically to remedy this issue? If it has something to do with port forwarding etc, I could use a little more in-depth explanation as I don't understand it very well.

PS: If I create a internet server, he can join the server (and so can others).

PS2: We can play other games together just fine (EVE Online, etc).

Edited by Victor

are you using the same copy of arma or 2 different ones?

is your internet speed fast enough?, I get a "No Message Recieved" when one of my brothers starts downloading something on one of their computers

Edited by ArmAriffic

are you using the same copy of arma or 2 different ones?

is your internet speed fast enough?, I get a "No Message Recieved" when one of my brothers starts downloading something on one of their computers

We both have Steam copies. (Separate accounts, separate games).

Also our internet connection is fast enough. In some servers I have pings under 15ms. The other games we play online (Company of Heroes, Anno 1404, GTA, etc) work perfectly fine without problems ether. So our speed is sufficient and that isnt the problem here. Its the fact that one of us INSTANTLY gets kicked out of a server when the other joins. (As in once I hit "connect" less than 1 second later he disconnects).

Edited by Victor

Sorry I can't be of more help. But just to let you know that I have a similar setup (2 pcs behind the same DSL router with 1 external IP). And both can connect ok to the same internet servers.

Just letting you know that it is possible, so keep at it.

I haven't had to forward ports or anything like that. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

I'm sure I've seen this problem before on this forum, they managed to solve it. So try to find the particular topic.

I'm sure I've seen this problem before on this forum, they managed to solve it. So try to find the particular topic.

I've been looking but can't find it.

I finally had some time today while my brother was at work to do some testing. Apparently this occurs all of the time. Not just when we both try to connect to the same server - but any server.

Example: I am in XR_Warfare_Server. He trys joining -=WASP=- Domination Match. As soon as he joins - he see's a "Waiting for host" black screen until I am kicked off MY game in the XR_Warfare_Server - then it will allow him in once I am kicked out. This is an instant disconnection once he trys joining a server.. he doesnt have to be in the server I am in - it can be ANY server.

==EDIT==

I was told that I need two different IP addresses to play this game online. Currently our IP addresses are setup automatically. We run through a linksys router for both computers. I do not know much about IP addresses - but if this is a road I should try traveling down on I would appreciate some guidance on what exactly I need to do.

==EDIT2==

I read this regarding a different game while trying to find answers on this game.

It has something to do with how the server only allows one connection per IP per port. if you have two computers on one IP address (as many home users will), you have to change the port that the MP uses. Not in your router, but the game itself. I remember having to add to my shortcut a "+port 1000" switch for one game. If this is the same thing, you may have to find out what the cmd line switches are, and find if there's a way to change the port BFBC2 uses.

Does Arma2 provide anything like that?

Edited by Victor

It's an issue with NAT translation. Basically, you've got 2 Arma clients on the same networking routing through the same public IP address. So even though they have 2 separate private IP's, 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3, they're both using 2302, 2304, 2305 as the standard ports...even as outgoing. Most normal programs will generate a dynamic source port, Arma doesn't appear to do that. So when NAT tries to translate your outgoing connections, you're NAT firewall (192.168.0.1 and some public IP) can only support 1 or the other because (to overly simplify things), when you initiate an outgoing connection through a NAT router, it does this:

Private IP - 192.168.0.2

Private Port - 2502

Protocol: UDP

Public IP - 1.1.1.1 (or whatever public ip you're assigned)

Public Port - 2502

Protocol: UDP

And then it forwards your packet to the server. When the server replies, it'll reply to 1.1.1.1 on UDP port 2502. So if you have 2 computers that are trying to use that same IP and Port through the same NAT firewall, the packets will either get routed to one computer or the other computer...possibly both depending on your firewall. Depending on your NAT configuration and/or what router you're using, it could be more or less restrictive.

To get around this, modify your ArmA2 shortcuts and add " -port=2350" to one of the computers. The number doesn't really matter, just as long as it's different from the other computers which will use 2302, 2304, 2305 by default. This will change the client port (though it's not documented) and allow you to connect to Internet servers. Well, at least it should ;-)

Also, another strange thing is that it won't actually use the port you specify, in this case 2350, it'll use +2, +3 of that. So you could technically specify -port=2304 and it'll end up using 2306, 2307. If you specify -port=2303, it'll conflict on port 2305 so don't do that. Skip at least 3 for every computer.

You can always check open ports by opening up a command prompt, typing "netstat -an" and hitting enter. It'll list all of the open TCP and UDP ports. This being ArmA, you're interested in UDP. Dont pay attention to the endpoint column though...it's UDP which is "connection-less" so there isn't any maintained connection. The packets just kind of get there...or they don't and ArmA compensates (or tries to) appropriately.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Bus

Edited by bus

This may have worked! I was able to get into 2 servers yesterday with the other computer in the time I had. I will continue to run the game on both computers and check for any additional issues if they arise.

Edit: It's worked now for over 5 matches in different servers. I think this fixed it. Thank you very very much Bus.

Edited by Victor

Im now having the same problem but i dont know how to edit my shortcut :(

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Would be awsome if some one could point me in the right direction :)

Searching for "arma 2 edit shortcut" will come up with an endless number of answers..

I have read the thread and searched for possible clues but alas i am not adept with networking do-hickies, some insight as to where i could find what needs to be edited, and what it is would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a wee bit o' step-by-step for us Neandertals. Thanks!

Put that "-port=2350" without quotation marks in your Arma 2 OA Startup Parameters in Steam (right click on the Arma 3 Icon in your Game Library and go to settings)