Sign in to follow this  
humvee28

ARMA 2 : OA beta build 84628

I used PvP's excellent benchmarking tool, and my results were...not terribly interesting.

0-1 average FPS increase in beta versus 1.59 stock

0-2 minimum FPS decrease in beta versus 1.59 stock

Could explain why it "feels" slower to us, with the lower minimum framerates. I ran the Vegetation test in Cherno, which is where I feel the most lag anyway.

Slower?

Dude, what are you talking about?

Performance is absolute top notch with latest beta.

The game never felt so smooth to me before, it´s running rock stable and IQ is superior, too.

I think performance issues can finally be laid ad acta by now ;)

(as long there aren´t introduced new ones :p)

I haven't done any actual testing, but subjectively the beta feels much smoother to me aswell. Compared to vanilla 1.59 that is.

I think I'll try and get some actual numbers later on using PvP's benchmarking tool, but I would be surprised if performance was actually lower or even the same.

From what I can tell this one made it feel a lot more smooth (possibly among other changes):

[80336] Optimized: Reduced frame rate drops caused by texture loading (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/14397)

The beta performance is horrible for me, i told it on another thread, i got 9 fps in the ArmA II benchmark 2 with beta, and 13/14 with 1.59 (that its the prove that something change). And even if i put everything on low, i got 10 fps max in the beta, nothing change...

When i host a lan game in 1.59, everything is fine, when i host a lan game in beta, the game is just unplayable

But i dont know much how make a ticket for this...

The beta performance is horrible for me, i told it on another thread, i got 9 fps in the ArmA II benchmark 2 with beta, and 13/14 with 1.59 (that its the prove that something change). And even if i put everything on low, i got 10 fps max in the beta, nothing change...

When i host a lan game in 1.59, everything is fine, when i host a lan game in beta, the game is just unplayable

Did you remember to let the game write it´s config new everytime you apply a new patch?

Go to documents/ArmA2/ArmA2OA config and rename or delete the file so it can be written new at next startup.

ps delete your old beta folder too before installing a new one

Edited by @ST

13/14 is still a very low value, so i assume your PC is on the lowend section. Moreso, you add even more strain by hosting a game locally and not on a dedicated server...

From my POV, the performance of this beta is very similar to 1.59. It feels smoother overall, but the average FPS i get is just the same (i guess the sudden drops are not so often anymore, but i couln't put my finger on it).

the new atoc feature in the beta´s may affect the benchresults

I'm fairly sure AToC is in 1.59 vanilla. It was tested in the betas prior to that patch.

Yes, i did delete the .cfg file but it dont change anything.

And yes, 13/14 still very low, but except benchmark i didnt have low performance in 1.59, the game was totally playable even in high ^^

While I feel your pain, I have little idea what could I do to help you. If the issue can be only seen on your computer and not anywhere else, there is no way for me to debug or analyze it other than directly on your system, which is quite hard to organize. Unless there will be more people seeing the issue, I am afraid there is nothing I will do.

I made a quick test with arrowhead benchmark in 1.59 against this beta.

1.59 -> 40fps

84628 -> 37fps

I tested the beta with both atoc = 7 and atoc = 0, obtaining similar results.

Cannot say about which felt smoother, sorry, I have not played in a long time and could not establish a comparison.

I have a radeon 6870, and a AMD quad 9850(2.5GHz), so probably the processor is the bottleneck in my case.

I will do some more testing tonight, defragging the arma dir and deleting the config file (which I didn't do in this test).

While I feel your pain, I have little idea what could I do to help you. If the issue can be only seen on your computer and not anywhere else, there is no way for me to debug or analyze it other than directly on your system, which is quite hard to organize. Unless there will be more people seeing the issue, I am afraid there is nothing I will do.

Yeah, i think im just unlucky, its why i wont make ticket, its useless if im alone to get those kinda problem, it will just give more headache to dev :p

EDIT: I changed SceneComplexity=300000 to 100000 and it seem i can finally play and host game in lan without super low performance in beta, it was 300000 in 1.59 and no problem, but nice that i can play now!

Edited by benouyt

SceneComplexity is your object detail setting.

It has a notable impact on FPS yep - especially with clutter/grass active.

Did you try less complex community worlds yet? Or ArmA2free?

It would be interesting to see how your performance is with those.

Nope i didn't try this, but anyway its ok now, i can play, except that i got crash after 20-25 minutes of playing in my lan warfare game