Sign in to follow this  
carlostex

ARMA 2: OA beta build 84580

You need to create a dummy file named __praaexe inside the @pr folder.

after doing all this it connects to game and you are able to choose teams but when the mission is finished initializing it just kicks me to debriefing. Any toughts whats wrong ?

And BTW Good job on the interpolation, BI is quality game maker

Edited by Bumgie

The question is, when we're shooting directly at a fast moving object, are we only shooting at an "echo" of what that object looked like a fraction of a second ago? Should we start leading our targets a little more now to compensate for the interpolation?

You are shooting just as you would without an interpolation. The "echos" are completely internal and invisible to you. You as a player do not have to care about them, both in SP and MP.

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

whatever ... may already be be in a new position

The "living in the future" aspect is better understand with a different wording: "it may be known to be in a new position in the future" (it is known it is not there yet). WYSIWYH - What you see is what you hit. :)

I am having some difficulty testing this. I have been testing it on TAW's Taki domination server. Some times it seems better, but other times, especially at new AO it is just as bad as ever, with units teleporting forward 100m at a time, human and AI choppers falling out of the sky, units running on the spot etc. Is it unrealistic to expect this to run better all the time, or are there some situations where it will still be possible to break it by "over loading" the game. The mission they run is pretty demanding. And I have often wondered with this server, if it gets too close to what the Arma engine is realistically able to cope with.

With the previous beta(84467) at one point on a new AO the warping was as bad as every and never got better for the rest of the AO (after which I left so I don't know what the following AO was like), It was like the interpolation suddenly "turned off" and never came back.

I have been reluctant to give feedback based on this. Eg it would be pointless for me to play on a server where I had a +300ms ping and then complain on here that it is still warping. I'm guessing the interpolation only smooths things out to a certain extent. can too High ping or overly complex coop missions break the interpolation? (The ping thing is just an example, I never play on servers with more than 150ms ping)

Edited by -=seany=-

after doing all this it connects to game and you are able to choose teams but when the mission is finished initializing it just kicks me to debriefing. Any toughts whats wrong ?

And BTW Good job on the interpolation, BI is quality game maker

Yes that happens on some servers. the AEF/Big D for example works just fine.

The patch seems to have fixed the moon walking except i think objects like crates still slide around a bit.

overall awesome work BIS. can't wait for the stable version.

Edited by User2010

Thanks Suma for the assurance regarding interpolated targets. 1.60 is looking to become quite a patch

Hey did u guys then copy a copy of your @PR folder to your: C:\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta folder? Also, i dont understand creating a dummy __praaexe in the folder, since theres already a praa.exe in there? :(

The exe has nothing to do with the (hidden) zero file sized __praaexe file (no extension).

Howto:

Just start the A2: PR link once. Wait till OA is up, ALT-TAB, start the taskmanager. Kill/stop the OA and the pra?.exe process. Now in your @PR folder there should be two files, server.list and the (hidden) __praaexe file. If the __praaexe file doesn't exist, just create an empty one (again, no extension).

Now you can start the beta patch with @PR mod like you do with every other mod and enjoy the improvements of the BIS beta patches and the work Suma and his fellas have done.

All the pr exe does is download/create the server.list file which contains the ips and ports of the so called "official" servers, create the hidden __praaexe file and then start OA like a mod launcher together with the @PR mod (though I have no idea why -showScripterrors is activated but other switches which improve loading time not). Not much magic and many people are already using this method since the mod came out.

It doesn't help anybody to play with the vanilla patch 1.59. What is needed are reports of things that may be broken in the beta patches or reports of possible crashes.

1.60 will be a major improvement for MP compared to all other patches before. The more people help to find issues the better.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Thanks - My error was that I had file extensions hidden and my dummy file was still a txt. Had a bit of a look but my local aef server was empty.

Did some domination and warfare with the beta and I was amazed. Seeing jets and helo's flying so smoothly overhead was great. Went for a cruise on quads and motorbikes and it was amazing.

In SP you see them driven around, but by AI and how do they drive? Like AI. No swerving around, going cross country etc. When I saw an actual human driving around without stuttering it was simply awesome.

Thanks for the detailed description by the way.

Launch in: .\arma

Exe: .\arma\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe

Modline: -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@pr

And you need to create a dummy file named __praaexe inside the @pr folder.

I am running VISTA, what you just said didn't make sense to me.

I right click on PR shortcut it says....

Target:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2\@pr\praa.exe" -maxMem=2047 -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=3 -mod=beta

Startin:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2\Expansion\beta"

And that's it. I've created that dummy file but im lost from here... :(

I am running VISTA, what you just said didn't make sense to me.

I right click on PR shortcut it says....

Target:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2\@pr\praa.exe" -maxMem=2047 -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=3 -mod=beta

Startin:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2\Expansion\beta"

And that's it. I've created that dummy file but im lost from here... :(

This is how i got mine to work:

Add this in your shortcut's "Target"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=Expansion\Beta;Expansion\Beta\Expansion;@PR -showscripterrors -skipintro -world=empty

Change the shortcut's "start in" to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2"

Finally create an empty file and rename it and place it in @pr folder found in arma2

I am having some difficulty testing this. I have been testing it on TAW's Taki domination server. Some times it seems better, but other times, especially at new AO it is just as bad as ever, with units teleporting forward 100m at a time, human and AI choppers falling out of the sky, units running on the spot etc. Is it unrealistic to expect this to run better all the time, or are there some situations where it will still be possible to break it by "over loading" the game. The mission they run is pretty demanding. And I have often wondered with this server, if it gets too close to what the Arma engine is realistically able to cope with.

With the previous beta(84467) at one point on a new AO the warping was as bad as every and never got better for the rest of the AO (after which I left so I don't know what the following AO was like), It was like the interpolation suddenly "turned off" and never came back.

I have been reluctant to give feedback based on this. Eg it would be pointless for me to play on a server where I had a +300ms ping and then complain on here that it is still warping. I'm guessing the interpolation only smooths things out to a certain extent? can too High ping or overly complex coop missions break the interpolation? (The ping thing is just an example, I never play on servers with more than 150ms ping)

I'd like to help test this, but I can't if I don't know what is to be expected and what is not...anyone? Preferably a developer?

You're probably better off testing it in a controlled environment and not on a server with overloaded missions and what not.

The question is where the bottleneck is. If at first it was the bugs / implementations in the game, then now it's probably one of Server configuration (Hardware/Windows/Drivers/Game), Bandwidth availability, amount of players and their connection limitations, amount of desync etc, mission scope and technical quality. etc.

Many of the fixes are client-side it seems, so people running no beta, or older betas might give a wrong impression.

Am I the only one that gets an increased number of undead enemies, i.e. they're dead on the server but they are still standing on the client? This used to be fixed, but now it seems back since the last two or so patches.

Anyone can confirm?

You're probably better off testing it in a controlled environment and not on a server with overloaded missions and what not.

The question is where the bottleneck is. If at first it was the bugs / implementations in the game, then now it's probably one of Server configuration (Hardware/Windows/Drivers/Game), Bandwidth availability, amount of players and their connection limitations, amount of desync etc, mission scope and technical quality. etc.

Many of the fixes are client-side it seems, so people running no beta, or older betas might give a wrong impression.

ok that makes sense, thanks.

Thanks too Pvp, ill try that out.