Sign in to follow this  
mugaben

Map: Chechenskaya Respublika

Thanks bushlurker, I will defanitly try this and see what I come up with. Hope to find some good trees that arent orange and without any tree-addons.

MugAben,

I have a topographic map of Checnya (Russian language), so if you will need some names for chechen towns...

MugAben,

I think no, but I really want to help :) and this is the only thing in what I can be useful :)

Zickey, well there isnt many towns in my map anyways, but ill take a look at it for sure. You can send it in PM or whatever way you like :)

Bushlurker!

Would you mind doing a step by step on the world editor? If I export all my veggies from visitor, I somehow trough the remap function in worldtools only get to do some kind of re-export of the exp file with the vegetion. A new exp file if you like. I dont see where I get to edit whats in it?

hi MugAben...

The remap function is pretty straightforward, plus there's a few clever tricks you can do with it... rather than bore your non-modder readers with a big explanation, I'll explain further over in the Mapmakers section in the WT thread...

B

Thank you.

So, I tried with foliferous trees from A2AO instead through the remapping. It looks so good, but turned out to be to laggy. The AO trees must have a higher poly count or whatever makes it more detailed I cant remember.

I think Ill stick with the pine trees for now, they seem to have a better performance. And allthough they arent realistic to this region I still think they can be used. I might do a 50/50 split another day and see how it turns out.

The map looks great! The satellite-map especially, good quality, looking forward to this one!

Nice to hear McNools!

Andy Mcnab

You are welcome to create many more walkable buildings than arma is offering (and that fits the region)

Edit: Note that this isnt the city of Grozny. Its the country site outsite of grozny. Where theres buildings on the satmap, theres buildings on this map!

Edited by MugAben

This is looking kewl. :)

Be sure to touch up your sat map when you are done. For example, in this photo:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1576479/ChechnyaMap/21.jpg

You can see shadows from lightpoles where none are cast. Buildings which can be seen from the air but turn out to be flat from the ground is another immersion-killer.

Keep up the hard work!

Thanks CameronMcDonald :)

Glad you noticed! Most shadows, lightpoles as you said and anything else that shouldnt be there, gives me a more realistic view of what should be there when placing objects. When the objects part is done it will go through photoshop to remove any shadows that arma isnt making on its own. But its a slow progress, it has to wait until im done with most stuff :(

Now to the map progress.

So far, its been 100% one sattelite area. Ive been fooling around and have tried to merge another sattelite from the area, onto the existing one. I succeded okay I think, wow its hard to get roads to fit another road on to different sattelites ;)

The reason is that on the original everything remains fairly flat. A fellow teammate asked me if I couldnt make a mountain chain. And I must admit I got bored of doing the same things all through the map and besides, alot of movies from chechnya shows me alot of mountains. He wanted it bigger than ive made it allready but I think that will be to violent and not fit into the rest of the region.

Mountain (early. Really early picture)

And some new ingame photos

In game small lake

Cruising around in BMD

Making a mess out of an old T34

Edited by MugAben

The mountain/ridge looks really nice! Good strategic position aswell. :) I foresee a mini-campaign about fighting in that area where the mountain plays an important role. Good work!

Edit: Oh, and another thing, will there be more rocks and rock-walls etc. on the map later on? From the screenshots I've seen there doesn't seem to be much of that around (maybe there isn't much of that around in the area in real life either), however, some rocks and walls here and there could be pretty useful so that you have somewhere to take cover, unless there is plenty of terrain-cover in some areas. (There should of course be areas with very little cover aswell, or so I think, since it poses tactical problems etc.)

Edited by McNools

Looks good, i hate it when they ruin great maps with unrealistic hills !

AI was fixed when it comes to the high grass in the recent betas

I've got to disagree with you on that one. The AI doesn't have any problem seeing me when I lay down, and I have to crouch to be able to shoot them. It puts me at a big disadvantage.

Thanks Stagler.

We are actually using your fine Chechen Rebels as targets on the map when testing. Great combination! :-)

Just wanted to let you guys know im still working on the map.

Had a minor arma-block where I couldnt stand the game, but my interest in making the map is coming back :)

Great, looks good, keep up the hard work!

Just wanted to let you guys know im still working on the map.

Had a minor arma-block where I couldnt stand the game, but my interest in making the map is coming back :)

Good news!! The map is looking great, and it's good to hear that your'e getting your inspiration back. Keep up the good work!

I am doing a map of the dead city on the basis of the Grozny city 1995-96

Argument, that looks very nice. Keep up the good work.