Sign in to follow this  
mugaben

Map: Chechenskaya Respublika

Some of you may have followed my previous attempt in making a map (Favslev).

The project became to much for me, and I couldnt make it as I wanted it to be so i ditched it completely. And I am sorry for letting you down on that!

I got bored and in July, 22th I started a new 5x5km project. This map will be green, wild and intense as chechnya is in the summer. Everything/Most will be damaged or destroyed and alot of wild nature in between. I will do what I can to uphold the fine line between perfomance and detail, but lean slighty against performance and AI capeability. Do not exaggerate the enemy numbers on this map my friends, they will get so close in some places and you will get your behinds whopped! There will be dense forest, open plains and mostly a mixture of both somewhere in between.

With alot of research, backup from my team and interest I came up with a map based on real life terrain and sattelite, from somewhere in chechnya. I think its a new see to the Arma islands, I dont remember anyone trying to make something from this region before. If im wrong then well, heres another one.! :)

The map is being tested by my Arma team 'Red Dawn' continuously right now, and so far its at version 0.25 Alpha. (Dont get to hung op on version numbers, I just bash some numbers in I think are fit, and that goes for progress % aswell..)

Progress:

Terrain: 75%

Sattelite and Mask: 45%

Objects: 40%

Sumrak has been so kind to let me use his buildings from Namalsk, some of them will prove really usefull especially his apartment blocks etc. This adds a huge difference and made me go all in on this map.

I even borrowed books on the libary and are doing alot of research on Chechnya for this one. :butbut:

Heres some ingame photos, some from flying around and some from actual combat with my team. Hope you like it, and I will not let you down on this unless something gets completely screwed up that I cant fix!

Something

Something too

Military base

Something more :-)

BMP2, MVD and a building

Green, UAZ and ruins

Teammember Strangehate in MVD looking out from a ruin

Teammember Frandsen in Ñпецназ, looking around in an industrial complex

Lake area

A little more open

Towards a small mountain chain

Destroyed industrial complex

Looking in to the industry

A little overview

Airfield (Its long enough for a SU-25 to takeoff/land, and wide enough for the biggest russian fighterbombers. Dont know about C130 as its unrealistic in that region anyway.

Sattelite so far

Map so far

Map a little closer 1

Map a little closer 2

Mountain (early. Really early picture)

And some new ingame photos

In game small lake

Cruising around in BMD

Making a mess out of an old T34

I hope you like it, remember everything you see is early and im a perfectionist so nothing will escape a grind in photoshop and a kick from my viking boots.

Thats it for now! :)

Edited by MugAben

Glad you like it.

Andy, you will be suprised how big this map will feel even if its only 5x5. Besides, I would never manage to make a 10x10 again, especially not before arma3.

The russian achitecture sounds interesting.

Do you have any more information on these addons? Am I allowed to use and release them with my map? As far as I can see they are for Arma, not for arma 2. Im not sure if they are compatible. All I get when I try, is errors.

Edited by MugAben

Glad you like it.

Andy, you will be suprised how big this map will feel even if its only 5x5. Besides, I would never manage to make a 10x10 again, especially not before arma3.

The russian achitecture sounds interesting.

Do you have any more information on these addons? Am I allowed to use and release them with my map? As far as I can see they are for Arma, not for arma 2. Im not sure if they are compatible. All I get when I try, is errors.

sarmat studio made some great stuff, i'm sure they are ok for you to use it in your project, also, i think about conspirasies, they use one of these pack for the last campaign, you should ask about it ( maybe just a little twik in the config, nothing spectacular ).

hope this help

Can you also use high grass please?

Just using the same low grass looks so unnatural and copypasted

Well im sad to hear you think it looks copypasted, but no.

High grass have annoyed me forever, forcing me not to see anything laying down while every single AI can see me clear as day, even if they are laying down aswell. I am all in for the good looks, but when it stops me from laying down, shooting at the enemy in a simulator I just gotta put a stop to it. Having studied alot of pictures from around chechnya, it seems that the grass in general is fairly low anyway, perhaps because of grassing sheep, horses and cows.

Ill look into if I can add another clutter to make a bigger difference in grass type, but I wont make it higher than what you can look over from laying down. I'd rather have low consistent grass than no grass at all. This way, everyone can play with clutter because this grass dont take up much power as far as the 'low-end' testers have reported to me.

Blaim the game, not the map maker. :-)

Edited by MugAben

metalcraze

If it works and is fixed in the upcoming newest real patch I will consider it, but dont count on it. I still dont like that no matter where you want to lay down, you cant see more than 2 meters in front of you. Un-natural and useless.

ryguy

the size of hill 776 would allmost require another map. If you read my first post you will know it is real world data sattelite which means the map is based on a real life area. :)

Wiggum

I made the post yesterday and youre allready asking for new screenshots? :D Ill consider making a video, yes

EDIT: You can get a view of what it looks like in the editor so far. Around 62000 objects. Look here

Edited by MugAben

Hello MugAben!!!

It's very interesting! If you are finished creating this map, then it will use all the Russian players. A lot of missions that are at war against Chechen fighters on the map Chernarus done! So please finish this map, and you will be a respect from all of Russia!

Thank you for your work! Sorry for my english!:yay:

Anyone that slightly politically motivated map for ofp :P That was one of my faves! This is looking good man.. keep it up... nothing like a dirt runway to take of from!

SiberianRUS:

Thanks, yeah I think and hope the russian players are gonna like this one. The russian Vs. American is getting old so I though it would be a good and realistic bring to the russian arma world.

Andy Mcnab,

Correct. The file will be called "Grazny", that was my first naming for this map. But since its not in a city and the place has no name in real life I just thought I would call it something else. But yes it is very close nearby Grozny.

Edited by MugAben

MugAben,

Grazny is sounds like "gryazniy", that means "dirty" in Russian. So, accidentally or not you gave exact name twice: to that war... mutual hatred has remained till now, and to that place... all roads had been broken by heavy vehicles, tons and tons of sticky mud, 3-4 kg on each boot.

This is an unsuccessful variant for the district name, but you are the author.

Gratz on the first post and welcome, zickey. :)

Didnt know that it meant Dirty. If it means dirty I guess its a suitable name? Im not sure I understand why you think it is unsuccessful then? Or do I not understand your message fully?

Well, I changed the name to Chechenskaya Respublika because it sounded more overall and "real". If theres any major issues with this it can be changed again but I dont know. Until a full release of the map, anything is possible :)

Edited by MugAben

Very nice idea! Such map would really be popular, because a lot of missions can be made there. One little mention that I have: there's few places where you can see pine trees in Chechnya IRL, most of trees there are foliferous.

MugAben,

Oh, excuse me, it was late than and I was almost sleeping, so I'm confused... :(

I think theres no any issues with "Chechenskaya Respublika".

Thank you for welcome and good luck with this map!

Spooky Lynx,

...most of trees there are foliferous.

exactly!

Thanks! God damnit! Didnt know that most trees are foliferous. On the other half, now you say it I think I agree with you. I havent seen many pine trees on photos. :( That sucks, Ive spend weeks making a good looking tree setup and filling the map with the current setup.

I think Ill stick with the current setup, I hope it will do. If I had to change it, it would put me back months! Its hard to find good trees in this game :(

Edited by MugAben

Don't worry about that trees :) this is not the most important.

Looking great so far MugAben!

Tree-swapping isn't the massive trauma you might expect... There's a deeply powerful but not particularly well-known "ReMap" feature in Shezan74's "WorldTools"...

You can simply do an "export of all veg" - or selected sections, or even species at a time, then you load that import file into WorldTools. From there you can use the "remap" facility, either just to simply "thin" the forest density, or - more importantly - to "remix" the vegetation...

I used this to great effect on CWR2 Everon... I had all the old original OFP/Arma 1 data in Visitor, so I exported the forests - fed the file to WT, then "remixed" the forest with a completely new selection of Arma 2 tree models in the new proportions I wanted... When you export back out of WorldTools and import back into Visitor you get your completely new mix of trees - in exactly the same positions as the old ones... saved me a lot of time...

Very quick and easy!... worth taking a look at...

... the biggest problem of course is... appropriate tree models...

B

Edited by Bushlurker