Sign in to follow this  
buliwyf

ARMA 2: OA beta build 84554

This is Suma's "logbook" for today:

15:00 - ARMA2 Community Issue Tracker - Bug #24413 (Resolved): Structure orientation not transferred

14:57 - ARMA2 Community Issue Tracker - Bug #24413: Structure orientation not transferred

Should be fixed in 84554

14:56 - ARMA2 Community Issue Tracker - Bug #24368 (Resolved): SetPos broken on dedicated servers

Fixed in 84554

Is there any improvement of memory usage?

I'm also interested in this... ;)

4093 installed, 3096 cached (aka 'free if needed'), that means your OS, services, apps, and arma server etc are together using 1 GB. Seems fine.

More interesting is the usage of the arma2oaserver.exe process over at the Process tab :)

4093 installed, 3096 cached (aka 'free if needed'), that means your OS, services, apps, and arma server etc are together using 1 GB. Seems fine.

More interesting is the usage of the arma2oaserver.exe process over at the Process tab :)

That is using about 460,000k.

A few observations with this path (tested in a "homogenous" client/server game, i.e. all latest beta):

Player controlled cars which are controlled by another client drive strangely. They sometimes slide off the road going sideways and generally behaving like they are driving on ice.

Secondly, AI that is not local exhibits similar sliding behavior. When they stop, they continue to slowly slide (no animation, just sliding toward their actual point). Might be the same as the thing with the cars.

Finally, the enemies at longer distances are really bad again. They stand in one place for some time (showing the running animation), then suddenly disappearing and popping up several dozen meters away from their original position.

Position and direction is correct now, but overall, this is a step back compared to yesterday's patch.

Edited by Varanon

:rolleyes:

Why do you put that in all your beta thread posts? You're not grateful for new betas regularly or something? :confused:

A few observations with this path (tested in a "homogenous" client/server game, i.e. all latest beta):

Player controlled cars which are controlled by another client drive strangely. They sometimes slide off the road going sideways and generally behaving like they are driving on ice.

Secondly, AI that is not local exhibits similar sliding behavior. When they stop, they continue to slowly slide (no animation, just sliding toward their actual point). Might be the same as the thing with the cars.

Finally, the enemies at longer distances are really bad again. They stand in one place for some time (showing the running animation), then suddenly disappearing and popping up several dozen meters away from their original position.

Position and direction is correct now, but overall, this is a step back compared to yesterday's patch.

:butbut: i'll test too but I hope not...the warping was hugely reduced for me w/ 84467

it wasnt perfect & certain fixed wings seem to warp more than others.. but i noticed a huge difference on plyr/AI infantry and most vehicles

Qazdar, the statics and walls were rotated properly again today (yesterday already). What are you referring to exactly?

Test 2: AI Warping test on "Hike on the Hills"

FqPYOSiEB3o

Test 1: LOD switching loop for a tree (might be an isolated case)

UpVbPfPJT9M

I don't want to rain on everyones parade and also do love MP improvements, but I am seriously concerned about the recent changes in netcode.

Looks like base netcode components are now rewritten from scratch or something - honestly I'm a bit confused. We seem needing to piece together all possible combinations how setDir and setPos need to transfer information anew right now.

I'm mostly worried that there are other undiscovered bugs sleeping in MP code in the same style, that this is only the tip of the iceberg. Does every script command in the game, which has remote and local influence at the same time now need to be re-verified? Shouldn't BI have a test suite for such?

Suma, what are other potential commands which could be affected? (MP) Eventhandlers? moveIn*/moveOut orders? MP framework?

I just wish to have more insight as to why the myriad of issues with setPos and setDir.

Can the code be somehow whitebox analyzed for other breakages in this fashion, so we don't have to rely on trial-and-error only?

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Oh yeah - just as a heads up and reminder to self:

Crow is also broken:

- dead player isn't transferred into crow immediately but sees the crow from above for about 30 seconds

- crow is going offset in MP

Repro: One client hosts, a second joins (simple two player MP editor mission), player two shoots player on host. Host player flies around in crow and after a short moment the crow is at a different position on the host than on the remote client.

I'll create a ticket tonight, ASAP, gotta jet now.

Looks like base netcode components are now rewritten from scratch or something

It is "or something". It is only position/orientation/speed part of the incoming packets which now gets different handling. Actually there are very little netcode component changes (this can be evidenced by the fact most improvements are client side only).

Does every script command in the game, which has remote and local influence at the same time now need to be re-verified? Shouldn't BI have a test suite for such?

Anything not directly related to position should not be affected at all.

@Brainbug,

I tested only on the warfare server,maybe i should create a DS with last beta on it and check.i wanted to show you what i'm talking about but my ticket got removed.

@Brainbug,

I tested only on the warfare server,maybe i should create a DS with last beta on it and check.i wanted to show you what i'm talking about but my ticket got removed.

This is not true, the ticket was set to duplicate and thus closed. You should have gotten an e-mail about this, there is always a link. Or you can check in Activities and find my change there. Or you can click on the filter on the right, to only display tickets of yourself. Etc.

Btw. thanks for your reply Suma, this clears up a lot to me and makes me look forward, once the issues are done for.