Sign in to follow this  
Col.

Cook. American Big City

Because we already have some nice maps styled that way, one more one less.

It should look and feel like every one would imagine by hearing the word "New York"; huge buildings, yellow taxis, Central Park etc. ;)

Beside there still could be made a map called something like "Part of Bronx"........

I suggest less talk and more work. When you have a design documet post it and you will get feedback. Show ingame screens and you will get feedback, show models of all NY-buildings and you will get feedback. In the end the more you show of your work the more you might get someone also help you out with the New York map.

Good luck with this " trip to the moon project" Me personal would like to see all those building in ruins. Great for Urban combat.

And hope all stick to topic. In all post on this forums. :)

:)

Testing stuff.

-pic temporary down-

You will have harbours, central city (with all the skyscrapers), some neighbourhoods (where people lives, houses, some enterable) and a park.

Edited by Col.

More testing :)

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5041/arma2oa2011091721422383.png

Welcome to the downtown. It's just testing, so calm down, I see the road and house collision, and it's not fully done, just for testing of that lag-with-many-house prob you were talking about earlier, no lag.

Who asked for a warzone?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9968/arma2oa2011091800463002.png

Welcome to the occupied zone.

Forum rule of 100kb image size max.

Edited by Alex72

Crash zone:

-pic temporary down-

Central City:

-pic temporary down-

-pic temporary down-

Not done. 20%.

And yeah, it's just testing still. Need to make clear that Arma 2 can handle skyscrapers and many buildnings + city and war enviroment and units, all combined.

And it will look likethat, just with some fixes. And even more variation buildnings. More streets, more miscs.

Edited by Col.

Those Police officers and SWAT guys look pretty rad, where did you get them? :)

Those Police officers and SWAT guys look pretty rad, where did you get them? :)

The Police officers are from Vilas Police Mod and SWAT are from PedagneMOD. :)

Edited by Col.

I don´t see any space for pedestrians, they can´t set up their hot dog stands on the road! :D

And don´t forget some cuts (backalleys) through the huge building rows, otherwise you´ll have a hard time navigating through the city on foot.

I don´t see any space for pedestrians, they can´t set up their hot dog stands on the road! :D

And don´t forget some cuts (backalleys) through the huge building rows, otherwise you´ll have a hard time navigating through the city on foot.

HAha, was just for testin, u'know. Sidewalks will come!

And backalleys will come too!

Testing of backalley, need more miscs though.

-pics temporary down-

Not a place where you want to be caught by OpForce

Edited by Col.

Not to be that guy or anything, but can we get some sidewalks, that way the buildings dont jut out into the roadway.

Not to be that guy or anything, but can we get some sidewalks, that way the buildings dont jut out into the roadway.

Yep. That will come.

Downtown 5th Avenue, closest neighbourhood to the city:

-pics temporary down-

(Last pic taken under a fight btw)

Still missing sidewalks, but again, that will come. And more variations on houses, or just collectivhouses, you deside.

Normal familyhouses or "collectiv" buildninghouses?

Edited by Col.

Downtown 5th Avenue, closest neighbourhood to the city:

Still missing sidewalks, but again, that will come. And more variations on houses, or just collectivhouses, you deside.

Normal familyhouses or "collectiv" buildninghouses?

a little of both. Add a large park of some kind too. That'd be neat.

You definitely need more room between the buildings, then you can add sidewalks. Try to make sure that none of the actual road piece is obstructed, and then add in roughly 1-2m past that for the sidewalks.

Other than that, it's looking good. A lot of it will just be getting the building placement looking realistic, then you can add the small touches, such as light posts, fire hydrants, childrens playground, etc.

*edit*

ninja'd by antoine on the park thing

You definitely need more room between the buildings, then you can add sidewalks. Try to make sure that none of the actual road piece is obstructed, and then add in roughly 1-2m past that for the sidewalks.

Other than that, it's looking good. A lot of it will just be getting the building placement looking realistic, then you can add the small touches, such as light posts, fire hydrants, childrens playground, etc.

*edit*

ninja'd by antoine on the park thing

1) Exactly what's next to do :P

2) Noted. Same with you Antoine.

Some bad news for you, mates.

My computer got a very shitty crash and needed immidietly recover, so the map work is deleted. I will recreate it as fast as I can, so even because of the problems encountered today, map is going on. Just more time :)

And asked help from the guy behind Fallujah, so maybe he'll help me out and the progress much faster. Because of his exerience with big city making for Arma 2.

Greetings, Col.!

Information, decisions taken:

The map will be a war map, not a civilian map. This is ruins, rubbles and war.

Fictional western American metrocity.

The map will now be two islands, one civilian part, where people lived with a good sight to the main city, and the main city island.

Name of city will be Cook. Or if you guys want another name, I'm up for a contest of best name. (Lack of name imagination)

Lock and load guys. Prepare for WW3, or a single war: US vs. OpforceCountry (Russia, North Korea, China etc).

Edited by Col.