Sign in to follow this  
bluedrake42

New Action Menu

Hello BIS, I would like to point out that your current action menu could use some updates. I don't like the action list that you currently have, and I suggest you take a look at what PR:ArmA2 has done with it. As I have heard you work closely with the PR team, so I'm sure you know how high the quality of their scripts and addons are.

http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_06/hud_bcd_drills.jpg >100KB

http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_06/hud_cargo.jpg >100KB

http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_06/hud_medical.jpg >100KB

If you could make a action dialogue similar to this, it would make interacting with the environment much easier. I also imagine it would integrate well with your new weapon customization system.

Edited by Franze
3x100+KB images

There is a wish thread set up as a sticky mate :)

Plus they said they are reworking the menus to be more user friendly, if they will look like the PR ones... who knows, but they wont stay the same.

The action menu from the E3 and GC builds is a placeholder.

Edited by Maio

As I have heard you work closely with the PR team, so I'm sure you know how high the quality of their scripts and addons are.

FPDR

Not that i have something against your suggestion, but the bolded underlines a 12year hyped and utopic mind....anyways

I am all for a more visual approach, as well as reducing the amounts of actions one can stack up in the action menu (such as reload - i mean really, does anyone really use action menu for reloading, etc)

Having a menu like in BF2 PR would be ideal.

I don't like commanding in Arma that much but in PR its great. Sometimes nice looking menus with pictures CAN help.

so I'm sure you know how high the quality of their scripts and addons are.

I'm sorry, but we don't allow PR legion here. The PR Dev team decided it wouldn't post info here.

Also, I've looked at the PR scripts, they aren't very high quality at all compared to what other developers have made here.

I don't need 90% of my screen taken up by consoleish radial menus, thanks. A few words off to the side of the screen works just fine.

never tried this mod, but radial menus work nice in general. bit big and consolish though (as someone else said) .

Wait, so you want it to be like Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Red River's command menu?

Please no radial menus that pop up in the middle of the damn screen. The radial menus are easier to use on a console. They work on PC's as well, but why bother when we have enough keys to do it on the side like it is now.

I'd say leave it on the side and control with your mouse scroll as you do now. Only clean it up a bit and have less menus.

Wait, so you want it to be like Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Red River's command menu?

Please no radial menus that pop up in the middle of the damn screen. The radial menus are easier to use on a console. They work on PC's as well, but why bother when we have enough keys to do it on the side like it is now.

I'd say leave it on the side and control with your mouse scroll as you do now. Only clean it up a bit and have less menus.

Mouse wheel scrolling sucks, period. It's clunky and gets in the way. I'm not saying it needs to be radial, but it needs to be easier to use and work better. You should play PR before you criticize. The radial menu makes it much faster and easier to interact with the environment, instead of having a scroll menu that usually overflows and constantly changes. As opposed to mouse scrolling, radial menus stay constant. meaning you always know how to quickly activate certain options.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

FPDR

Not that i have something against your suggestion, but the bolded underlines a 12year hyped and utopic mind....anyways

I am all for a more visual approach, as well as reducing the amounts of actions one can stack up in the action menu (such as reload - i mean really, does anyone really use action menu for reloading, etc)

wtf are you even talking about

BIS just licensed the british DLC to PR for use in their mod

if that isn't working close with them then I don't know what is

I wasn't being a prissy little pre teen bitch, I was stating a fact.

And I'm 21 :mad:

Mouse wheel scrolling sucks, period. It's clunky and gets in the way. I'm not saying it needs to be radial, but it needs to be easier to use and work better. You should play PR before you criticize. The radial menu makes it much faster and easier to interact with the environment, instead of having a scroll menu that usually overflows and constantly changes. As opposed to mouse scrolling, radial menus stay constant. meaning you always know how to quickly activate certain options.

Hello,

I think there is another thread where users was talking about radial menus. You aren't the only one to suggest the idea, However it might of been best for you to search for that thread. Or you've could of post in the Wishlist thread. Sorry if this sound rude.

And might I add that, I highly recommend not responding to users such as PuFu, seeing that he doesn't like to respond to others thoughts in such a nice way, but seeing you've already did, I recommend you change your words. :o

Edited by Haystack15

The menu in PR was made by Dr. Eyeball and a very similar version to it has been available in CBA and used by ACE and ACRE for almost two years now.

It could also be a lot better IMO.

Mouse wheel scrolling sucks, period. It's clunky and gets in the way.

Exactly the opposite happens.I can move and shoot while using scroll menu and from what I see in youtube, radial menus freeze you while you perform your action blocking a big part of the screen.

What do you suggest for airplanes and helis that use the scroll menu for extra actions (gear,flaps,mando missile)?

You should play PR before you criticize. The radial menu makes it much faster and easier to interact with the environment, instead of having a scroll menu that usually overflows and constantly changes. As opposed to mouse scrolling, radial menus stay constant. meaning you always know how to quickly activate certain options.

I fail to see how having a radial menu based on mouse actions while you are locked out from the FPS world makes interacting faster. And key actions are always faster than mouse.

BIS just licensed the british DLC to PR for use in their mod if that isn't working close with them then I don't know what is

Licensing content for use =/= working with. BIS has licensed me to use Oxygen to modify P3D files for ArmA 2; that doesn't mean they are working with me on my projects.

Secondly, Pufu is highlighting the fact that there are a lot of new joiners who speak as if the advent of PR in the Armaverse is the second coming of the Messiah, and that everyone has been playing by mashing their foreheads against their keyboards up until that point.

Little do most of these new joiners know that mods of this quality have been coming out for about a decade. ECP for the original Flashpoint still sticks in my mind, and that was, what - July 2005? It predates PR - so don't assume that the old guard have no idea what they are talking about.

Secondly, Pufu is highlighting the fact that there are a lot of new joiners who speak as if the advent of PR in the Armaverse is the second coming of the Messiah, and that everyone has been playing by mashing their foreheads against their keyboards up until that point.

Actually after i tried PR i started to mash my forehead against the keyboard :p

wtf are you even talking about

BIS just licensed the british DLC to PR for use in their mod

if that isn't working close with them then I don't know what is

Exactly...you obviously don't know much. You think that it means BIS is working close with someone? Because i have got a similar agreement with BIS for some human meshes for a 3ds max animation tool, but that is very far from them doing my work, or holding my hand through the process...

I wasn't being a prissy little pre teen bitch, I was stating a fact.

And I'm 21 :mad:

There is no fact, and i never said you were a pre-teen bitch, but that you have a mindset of one. I couldn't care less if you were 21, 41, or 61 for that matter.

You are obviously new to BI community, and way too easily impressed...that was the point i was trying to make: PR content is no better than other around here, even with BI mlods in the use.

You point about a new action menu system still stands though. If that was to be radial or not, well, it is a matter of taste and usability, but i guess most around here would agree that stacking up actions in the right side menu for one to scroll/navigate through is far from beeing the best option as it is.

PS: cheers Cam for trying to translate my otherwise obvious post ;)

I'm just saying, play BF2 PR before you critisize the "arcady" action menu.

I don't remember ever taking over 3 seconds to command someone to move to a position.

Good menus don't annoy users or clutter their screen with funny/colored signs or text. Perhaps BIS devs are working on a much better context-sensitive action menus? Something that is more intuitive (natural) and less mechanic (clicky here, clicky there). :)

Maybe, maybe. I personally love the BF2 PR menu and no its not because I'm a diehard PR fanboy, I'm pretty new to PR myself.

Its just..good. It doesn't clutter your screen that much, the PR ArmA2 one does.

As long it it is not like the rose from the original BF2, I like radial more like Crysis or dare I say OFP: DR admittedly using mouse interaction not keys.(I mean really codemasters) I think the OFP: DR could be stripped out somewhat because it doesn't need to contain all commands like it does in DR; it could also be smaller so it doesn't obscure the whole screen.

Also I loved the convenience of simple hitting the middle mouse when I ran out of rounds very simple.

If I remember correctly BF2 PR had mouse interaction but normal BF2 didn't?

Original BF2 had mouse interaction

Exactly...you obviously don't know much. You think that it means BIS is working close with someone? Because i have got a similar agreement with BIS for some human meshes for a 3ds max animation tool, but that is very far from them doing my work, or holding my hand through the process...

There is no fact, and i never said you were a pre-teen bitch, but that you have a mindset of one. I couldn't care less if you were 21, 41, or 61 for that matter.

You are obviously new to BI community, and way too easily impressed...that was the point i was trying to make: PR content is no better than other around here, even with BI mlods in the use.

You point about a new action menu system still stands though. If that was to be radial or not, well, it is a matter of taste and usability, but i guess most around here would agree that stacking up actions in the right side menu for one to scroll/navigate through is far from beeing the best option as it is.

PS: cheers Cam for trying to translate my otherwise obvious post ;)

Not arguing that with you

Been playing arma and ofp for over 10 years here mate. so you can take your condescension down to hell

And yes, I agree

Exactly the opposite happens.I can move and shoot while using scroll menu and from what I see in youtube, radial menus freeze you while you perform your action blocking a big part of the screen.

What do you suggest for airplanes and helis that use the scroll menu for extra actions (gear,flaps,mando missile)?

I fail to see how having a radial menu based on mouse actions while you are locked out from the FPS world makes interacting faster. And key actions are always faster than mouse.

The radial menus in both PR titles don't lock you in or out of anything. You hold down the "F" or "T" button to bring up the menu, and if you stop holding it down then it goes away. In no way does it keep you from moving around, and if you want to shoot, then remove your finger from the "T" or "F" key. Simple as that. and I personally like having simple simple simple key binds. I would rather have 2 keybinds that access menus that allow me to do everything, then 45 keybinds that do everything from jacking off to tying my shoe.

Edited by Bluedrake42

The radial menus in both PR titles don't lock you in or out of anything. You hold down the "F" or "T" button to bring up the menu, and if you stop holding it down then it goes away. In no way does it keep you from moving around, and if you want to shoot, then remove your finger from the "T" or "F" key. Simple as that.

So I have to take my fingers off my movement keys and move my mouse away from my target to do anything? Again, much easier to simply flick the mousewheel and click the mousewheel button thanks.

So I have to take my fingers off my movement keys and move my mouse away from my target to do anything? Again, much easier to simply flick the mousewheel and click the mousewheel button thanks.

Then you got nearby a vehicle and a friend unit while trying to swith to the AT weapon and end blowing a satchel killing everyone. This action menu and the F for cycle throught weapons are things that MUST go. Or make an option to use "the old way".

You don´t even have to take your fingers off nor move your sights from your target. After some hours in BF2 you don´t even see the commo rose anymore cause you do everything fast.

Im up for a commo rose (for most used things: move to\form on, cover\watch,weapons cold\hot, contextual etc) with an advanced button that opens all options.