Sign in to follow this  
suma

Patch 1.60 - The Good News and The Bad News

Good news

The good news is we have made very promising progress with multiplayer interpolation, which looks like it could have a huge impact on solving jerkiness and jumping of remote units in multiplayer. The progress was so good we are now inclined to include this in the 1.60 version, as it looks we will be able to finish this a lot faster than we expected a week ago.

Bad news

The bad news is this is likely to delay the 1.60 patch a few weeks - you are already seeing this on the state of the beta patch. While the interpolation is not enabled in it still, it contains some preparation steps which are not well tested yet, and are causing crashes, funny footsteps, visual jerkiness issue.

Please, consider the patches 84391 and newer "highly experimental" again until the situations stabilizes a bit, which we hope should be within a week.

We apologize to those who already expected the 1.60 to be released "anytime" now, we think the improvement we are likely to make within the weeks to come will make the update worth waiting for.

1.60 is going to be so awesome :-). Waiting for it like a child for christmas.

If 1.60 is going to make major improvements to warping issues as you say, then delay it as long as you want.

I dont see any bad news there at all! Good work guys. If that specific issue can be improved or even better, resolved, then as Gossamer says, please take your time.

I always, and especially in this case, like when you take quality as top priority.

Deliever the best work you can. When doesnt matter that much

Thanks a lot! :)

I'm all for delays to a patch release if there's further tweaks/amendments/changes that can be included for the better :)

*thumbs up here*

... we think the improvement we are likely to make within the weeks to come will make the update worth waiting for.

Community thinks the same:icon_eek: :pc:

Very good decision. Hopefully it brings back those players who have already given up ArmA MP :)

Xeno

no need to say I agree with everything has been said so far. More quality is worth more time, unless it's years :)

Thanks for informing us. And thanks for the hard work!

I'm happy BIS finally taking actions to solve an issue that's been plaguing the MP for years . . .

One interesting aspect about the 'warping' is that it seems to only (or mostly) occur to land based vehicles (including Men).

So while Visual State Interpolation can improve the situation, I suppose there are some bugs / issues specific to land vehicles.

Hopefully a delay will help me find my error log so the recent problem I suffered can be fixed :s

Well I was expecting *actual* bad news, but a delay isn't anything to complain about IMO. I'm happy to see great advancements even in this relatively late development stage :)

Screw the multiplayer updates, NEW PISTOL ANIMATIONS FUCKYEAH!

If you are going to make stupid posts, please don't make posts at all.

Yet another person i'm adding to the ignore list.

If you are going to make stupid posts, please don't make posts at all.

Yet another person i'm adding to the ignore list.

+1

Nice to see, that work is going better as planned. Now get back to the battlefield, soldier!

DU DU DU DU DUN DUN, DU DU DU DU DUN DUN

Thank you for sharing this with us. Your candidness is as admirable, if not more so, as your commitment and dedication. Many developers (game industry & outside) would do well to follow your example. Just don't keep us waiting too long ;-)

I was afraid the bad news was going to be that interpolation is not as effective as was hoped. But if it is more time you need, that's fine. If this gets fixed it will be major mile stone for the RV engine.

Thanks for the info.

Suma,

Thanks for the update. Getting genuine updates from you guys is SO much better than "when it's ready".