Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Thoughts on using enemy uniforms

The taliban are civilians if you take it by the book. Partisans are nothing else than armed civilians in in 2014 you cant even call them partisans anymore because they will be the ruling party again, without changing any clothes.

Yes, which would mean they ARE dressing like the Taliban/civilians/Afghanis/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. They are dressing in accordance with the COE (Current Operating Environment, for those of you who don't know)

I just thought, do you think we will be able to dress as civilians? And aliens... how do we dress like them? Ed gein style? ;)

Am thinking this feature could be used for custom uniforms, squad/clan patches and badges, flags.

A Scotish clan in Kilts anyone? Or Gurkas? I could see this in multiplay.

Or "Attack of the Killer Clowns"? --oh, the humanity!

Am thinking this feature could be used for custom uniforms, squad/clan patches and badges, flags.

A Scotish clan in Kilts anyone? Or Gurkas? I could see this in multiplay.

Or "Attack of the Killer Clowns"? --oh, the humanity!

This is a joke, right?

What I bet it'll be used for is squads using the same uniform/gear. And of course squad patches/flags/etc. What would be cool is if we are able to make a custom camo pattern (kinda like the custom faces now work). It'd be a simple texture change just like the custom faces, and it'd use the default NATO, and hopefully, Iranian uniforms as the base models. THAT would be awesome.

This is a joke, right?

What I bet it'll be used for is squads using the same uniform/gear. And of course squad patches/flags/etc. What would be cool is if we are able to make a custom camo pattern (kinda like the custom faces now work). It'd be a simple texture change just like the custom faces, and it'd use the default NATO, and hopefully, Iranian uniforms as the base models. THAT would be awesome.

I believe something like this is in ArmA 3 right now actually, I seem to have noticed some obscure uniform changes:

NATO Multicam:

http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1108_07.jpg

NATO Grey/Blue

http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1202_22.jpg

Iran Brown:

http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1105_12.jpg

Iran Grey:

http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1107_018.jpg

The nato grey/blue is kinda hard to tell if it's a completely different uniform, but I can see it. But I never recognized till now that those Iranian screens showed two different camouflages. Wow. Well, that's really good! Hopefully they actually are texture changes and not two different models, two different uniforms. It'd be really awesome to be able to customize camouflages the way faces are customized in ArmA2.

I think of it this way:

If you kill an enemy, there's blood on his uniform. Good luck blending in.

Also, soldiers operate as teams/squads/etc. They arent strangers to themselves.

Changing the uniform is pointless.

I think dressing up as the enemy would violate the Geneva Convention Accords. Still, they might have dismissed those by 2030.

I think of it this way:

If you kill an enemy, there's blood on his uniform. Good luck blending in.

Also, soldiers operate as teams/squads/etc. They arent strangers to themselves.

That would be an unnecessary gameplay feature, and BIS is probably not going to add bloody uniforms and whatnot.

Both of the Hezbollah fighters that were killed were wearing IDF uniforms.

AE7TE7mOGr0

What if player can steal uniforms from the drawer/clothes line or ambush a convoy and "surprisingly" find some clean uniforms in the trunk? We can hope that BIS will implement such features as only temporary working. Guess there are simple methods to reveal someone - just watch "Ronin" or "Inglourious Basterds" ;)

I wonder - why people wish to see such far-fetched features in Arma instead of playing some arcade games?

Oh wait, even those do not include them...

How about size? Not every uniform would fit. How about time to change clothes? A few minutes.

Guys, the paradox of your wishes is incredible. I thought you wanted Arma to be realistic.

If you want to do something good for arma - start a campaign against tall grass, similar to that in Arma2.

Let's make this prone animation a bit more useful, shall we?

Guys you do know that you will be able to change the uniform in only one Campaign mission, right? It´s really no big deal.

It's probably going to be module-based anyway.

Even if it's not module based, it's an optional feature :) So I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Where did you see that?

One of the Devs said it somewhere

Of course it will be optional for mission makers. It's ArmA FFS! :p

I think this feature is getting blown out of proportion by some. I think BIS are a bit smarter than to just throw in a brand new feature and not allow us to enable/disable it. And if what Tonci87 said is true then it's probably just a script like FEINT's 'Sniper Camo Changer' script.

Both of the Hezbollah fighters that were killed were wearing IDF uniforms.

AE7TE7mOGr0

Hezbollah... greeaaat example

Hezbollah... greeaaat example

Iraqi Insurgents did it during the Iraq War. (Said to have been trained by Iranian SF)

Even though the media-code is to look down on terrorist groups in terms of tactical consciousness, there are subunits who know their shit.

Iraqi Insurgents did it during the Iraq War. (Said to have been trained by Iranian SF)

Even though the media-code is to look down on terrorist groups in terms of tactical consciousness, there are subunits who know their shit.

Because ignoring the Geneva Convention's Law of War is "knowing their shit". Right... Regardless, we are talking about NATO, who's forces would be abiding by the Law of Land Warfare. By the way, that's actually an ethical issue. I got no problem with it in game as it's BIS's game and all, but it's a much larger issue than limiting a feature in-game. Now, yeah, stealing an enemy vehicle in an enemy uniform is fine. But fighting in that uniform is not. BUT, it might as well be in there, not because NATO would do it (they wouldn't), but Iranian proxies might (hopefully some modder makes Hezbollah). But that said, I think that Hezbollah is not a good example because they don't act ethically. The laws of land warfare were established for a reason, and I have no respect for those who disregard such laws or who terrorize, attack, and kill civilians. So I have no respect for these Islamist militants and factions, and I think it's terrible to use them as examples of groups who "know their shit". I'm sorry, but what they do is just wrong. Just like what that sergeant did in Afghanistan, killing those 16 civilians, was ethically wrong.

As I said, they should not take the feature out. I mean, you can kill civilians, and that's ethically wrong. My only issue is using terrorists and militants, not as examples of those who use their enemies uniforms (although I don't like that), but as examples of something that's "right" or "smart". They do it, it gives them an advantage, but doesn't make it right.

That's morales, we're talking War - and tactics - moral tactics are to win over a populace (That isn't everyones goal). Sure, the modern age is changing around the War's we are fighting and potential repercussions but when you're on the back foot, you'll do anything. And if it works, it's God damn smart, it's the business of deception and killing. IED's and EFP's in Iraq, cost-effective, easy to make and train people to make, manuals all over the internet, that's not morally right but it worked. Fighting in the uniform is not? So add a feature to steal and use vehicles/uniforms but not be able to use them? Dirty war fighting is there for a reason, to ignore all the moral code, 'laws of land warfare'.

I didn't say what they did is right - I said they did it. And it works for them in some circumstances. I also didn't say it was right, I said it worked and therefore was smart, outside of the box thinking.

...Now, yeah, stealing an enemy vehicle in an enemy uniform is fine. But fighting in that uniform is not. BUT, it might as well be in there, not because NATO would do it (they wouldn't)...

I might be a bit sketchy on my SF knowledge, but isn't that the exact reason the Tier One designation exists for operators? I guess your not likely to see a general infantryman going undercover, but if we're speaking about the NATO umbrella I think it's absolutely something they (NATO/JSOC) would/have done when the circumstance calls for it.

...we're talking War... it's the business of deception and killing...

Exactly... And if NATO is on the back foot who's to stop their soldiers, trapped behind enemy lines, with no official support, from wearing civilian clothing and planting IED's to take out Iranian troops.

@Whirly: This is a good read mate, thanks for the link.:)

Edited by Clarkey1