Sign in to follow this  
*LK1*

POLL: leaning system.

which kind of leaning system you like?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. which kind of leaning system you like?

• i like the current avaible.
    • i like the solution suggested by the thread starter
    • i like another solution (explain with details how should works).

It's not insignificant, it's very important. Sure you can do all kinds of things to corners other than lean like pie, quick peek and go prone but prone is too slow, you crawl up to the corner and around and by that time you're getting shot at so you can't get in quick enough - which tends to lead to a roll, the only quick way to move left or right while prone. Pie'ing normally is mixed in with crouched leaning as you don't want to be normal height. And quick peek normally means leaning having a look and popping back to cover, which usually encompasses leaning. I think it's the angle they lean at, it's very oblique which allows half of the body to be exposed, if it was more upright it would be better.

Like the comment above, maybe there should be a better partial lean system. If BIS work on it or not, meh, it's up to them, it serves the general purpose as of now.

Better lean, cover and general fine movement control would reduce the need for 3rd person views IMO. I use 3rd person because of the inability to really finely move into a position to see around/through stuff that I should be able to.

I'm with kju on this one,

- leaning is not that important and doesnt really need to be 'fixed' (its kinda ok as it is)

- what is really needed would be more objects on maps that provide proper cover

- already existent objects providing cover should be fixed: firing through windows, corners that still block ur bullets in midair and bunkers/other stuff which dont allow proper firing from covered position due to geometry issues

)rStrangelove;2019840']I'm with kju on this one' date='

- leaning is not that important and doesnt really need to be 'fixed' (its kinda ok as it is)

- what is really needed would be more objects on maps that provide proper cover

- already existent objects providing cover should be fixed: firing through windows, corners that still block ur bullets in midair and bunkers/other stuff which dont allow proper firing from covered position due to geometry issues[/quote']

More objects to provide cover isn't really useful unless there's a fluid way to see/aim around them. And the most pragmatic way to provide more appropriate cover for a game that has poor fine control is to make those cover objects conform to precise heights & shapes etc, meaning you'll get maps that are littered with rather obvious shapes. IMO.

If you improve the fine control, you by default make almost every map object more appropriate for cover.

... meaning you'll get maps that are littered with rather obvious shapes. IMO.

If you improve the fine control, you by default make almost every map object more appropriate for cover.

Haha, interesting way to see it. Sometimes i get this in (may i say it?) CoD-like games: an area with full of cover blocks so its easy to see where the next combat will arise in.

Anyway, part of my point was that it doesnt make sense to optimize firing-around-cover-finecontrol if theres no cover object to be seen on the next 1000 meters.

I guess there are 2 sides to that medaillion.

)rStrangelove;2019848']Haha' date=' interesting way to see it. Sometimes i get this in (may i say it?) CoD-like games: an area with full of cover blocks so its easy to see where the next combat will arise in.[/quote']

Heh, I know what you mean :) you turn a corner and see a rather obvious series of easy-to-dash-to perfectly shaped cover opportunities, and you think.... "here is where it will kick off" ;)

Anyway, part of my point was that it doesnt make sense to optimize firing-around-cover-finecontrol if theres no cover object to be seen on the next 1000 meters.

Well, if you don't mind me saying so, that's kind of like saying you don't need a weapon if you sometimes don't see an enemy for ten minutes... :) when you need it, you need it :)

But my main point is that a general improvement in fine movements is needed, for all kinds of situations not just firing around cover. Peeping over grass, peeping over walls, without needing to stand up or use the (shudder) dreaded 3rd person feature ;)

It would make using building windows a lot more fun.

more objects to provide cover isn't really useful unless there's a fluid way to see/aim around them.

* hehe

Hmm maybe just some precise movements/animations that could be adjusted via mousewheel if the player is standing, kneeling or prone? Of course objects/buildings should have a proper shape + floors too.

That's not a bad idea at all NoRailgunner. And I agree with these other comments, a lot of the problems are to do with other bugs like clipping.

Improve collision detection... Also do not allow bodies to go through solid objects.

Also do not allow bodies to go through solid objects.

i guess is a fixed problem.

I can lean around a corner pretty fast as well. If you don't like it, then get a TrackIR 5, which will allow you to lean as little or as much as you like.

I can lean around a corner pretty fast as well. If you don't like it, then get a TrackIR 5, which will allow you to lean as little or as much as you like.

Or Freetrack, which is free... and does the same job, you still need to make a 3 LED serial connection though, which even a kid can do. :yay:

Mouse wheel movement and mouse gradual adjustments are way out of the league at the moment.

Edited by Smookie

unfortunately i cant find a video showing this feature. just open your game

go on the editor and start press QEQEQEQEQE. you'll understand what i mean;)

Yes I know I can just do it, but I wanted to see someone do it while actually fighting against the guy recording the video (or fighting a 3rd guy while being recorded), to see how effective it truly is in actual in-game combat when used by someone who knows how to use it.

As for blind fire, it's already in SMK animations, you can try it. Personally I find it cool but not very useful. Just like leaning it's hard to place yourself in a position where it can be used effectively, not to mention to actually hit something with it. Maybe if we'd have more room-to-room fighting, as mentioned earlier...

might sound wierd but i use my rudder pedal for analog lean :)

That's.....very clever....

quite confortable after a few hours of play, lets me lean just a little bit to shoot under a plank, where full on lean would be too low. Let you lean slowly in bushes to see behind stuff that blocks your view, and much less noticable because of the slowness by the enemy (if its a human player :)

I wish I had some money for rudder pedals. :)

---------

Just keep the current leaning system... Get rudder pedals, free track or trackir if you want more precise movements...

Loads of good ideas...

What about this one?

Maybe implement leaning system with -ALT/SHIFT/CTRL(whichever) modifier (like free headmovement)to be able to lean in set intervalls (shallow, medium and deep lean) and upon release snaps back to normal movement ?

Example:

Walk up to corner, hold "Modifierkey", tap E once to shallow lean right, see nothing, tap E again, still see nothing, tap E a third time, see the enemy, then release the "Modifierkey" and instantly snap back to posture before usage of "Modifierkey".

So even non-TrackIR users had some form of equivalent of incremental leaning available, even if stepped.

Greetings and good hunting, gentlemen.

I'd like to see the current leaning system kept, with the addition of a cover system a-la SMKs mod or other shooters.

I pretty much don't use lean at all in this game.

There are two reasons for this.

One would be that the lean in Arma and Arma 2, is not a particularly useful one. It's too small a movement, I walk up to the corner of a building, press lean, and I'm still left looking at the corner of the building, not around it.

The second is, almost all the fights in ArmA take place over long distances.

There are a shed load of games out there with large open plan maps that simply don't bother with a lean function and I don't miss it when I play them.

So theres a lot of room for improvement here, or equally they could just drop it altogether and free up Q and E for use doing other gimics.

Edited by Baff1