Sign in to follow this  
Garrad3

Is there a big difference between arma 1 and 2 in gameplay and all that?

I have been playing arma 2 f2p (please no f2p abuse) and i have trouble running on my computer (Pentium D 3.0 ghz dual core 2 gb ram Radeon 5450 1GB DDR3) And the game does run ok, its just my cpu at the moment. But i was wondering if arma 1 worth buying while i wait to get a new cpu. What i want to know is that, is there a big difference between arma 1 and 2 in gameplay and all that (NOT GRPAHICS IM NOT WORRIED WHEN IT COMES TO THAT) For example is the ai as good and the overall gameplay. :confused:

Edited by Foxhound
title changed, topic moved.

AI wise ArmA1 is a step backwards as most of the fancy functions like sticking to buildings for cover or supression was just added in ArmA2 .. but then again ArmA1 will perform the hell out of your rig - last time i played it it ran flawlessly with maxed out settings (including 10km VD) :turn:

In Armed Assault all feels very sterile and robotic. ArmA II is simply much nore lifelike.

Although A1 is not "as good" (very subjective)as a2/oa, you'll still have a blast with A1.

If your rig cant handle a2 get a1 installed, there's a VAST amount off mods/missions etc which can make the game amazing.

I stayed with A1 until enough mods came out to make A2 play the way I wanted.

Come to A2/3 when your rig is up to it. Dont ruin your game experience with low fps stutter etc.

Rgds

LoK

If you gave a little more info regards the problems you have running A2 with your set-up (graphics, fps, lag etc) someone on here might be able to point you in a direction that gets it working a little better for you, rather than going down the A1 route....

With respect, Gotta say, dont ignore the a1 route, a2 and especially ao is better but a1 cant be sniffed at :)

i could never go back to A1 really. the AI improvements from A1 to A2 are just too large.

but to answer your question better, the "gameplay" is pretty much the same. you walk around, and you shoot dudes, avoiding being shot. its in the finer and underlying details that makes A2 so much better and richer experience

Better play OFP (or CWA in current speak) instead.

OFP at least has good campaigns. AA1 is... meh.

i could never go back to A1 really. the AI improvements from A1 to A2 are just too large.

Exactly! I still play OFP from time to time, but didn't even install ArmA1 after my last rig upgrade.

And not just AI. Vehicle handling, thermal sights, secondary sights, improved damage system for vehicles (HP are not even half as important like it was in OFP/ArmA1) and troopers (medic modules). And a lot of other small things improving gameplay.

And I don't even mention new/improved things avaliable with mods.

Same here, when I got my new rig I installed ofp and CO, and never got around to putting A1 on. Sure, its a good game, you will have fun. OFP is just more fun to me, personally, than A1.

This.

Thanks to CAA1 I can skip the ARMA install. All I need is the island.

Must agree, although i never played the A1 campaigns, nor the Arma2 ones, or the OA ones, shit i missed them all except for all of OFP Campaigns ;)

But Arma1, i wont play it without WarMod

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8565

its a real blast, I'd say get Arma1 its worth the time but I'd mod it.

AA1 campaign had interesting ideas like there was a main campaign line and secondary missions that you could select which affected the main campaign by giving more forces to your side and less to enemies if you've completed secondary missions successfully.

The problem is that it fell short of completely linear CWC campaign in mission design.

OFP had a lot of variety and missions were long and some had different ways of completing them. In AA1 you were usually dropped straight into the action almost without any freedom of approach and missions were considerably shorter (not mentioning that there are ~20 of them compared to 40 in CWC). It felt like BIS tried to make it more action packed, sacrificing freedom.

And the following campaigns went even more downhill (I consider AA2 and PMC to be the worst ones)

Edited by metalcraze

AA1 campaign had interesting ideas like there was a main campaign line and secondary missions that you could select which affected the main campaign by giving more forces to your side and less to enemies if you've completed secondary missions successfully.

The problem is that it fell short of completely linear CWC campaign in mission design.

OFP had a lot of variety and missions were long and some had different ways of completing them. In AA1 you were usually dropped straight into the action almost without any freedom of approach and missions were considerably shorter (not mentioning that there are ~20 of them compared to 40 in CWC). It felt like BIS tried to make it more action packed, sacrificing freedom.

And the following campaigns went even more downhill (I consider AA2 and PMC to be the worst ones)

Agreed on all points.