Sign in to follow this  
WallyJas

New Sony HMZ-T1 HMD

I seriously doubt they managed to bring down weight enough to be a non-issue for prolonged use. Wouldn't want to shell out 800 quid just to find I could use it for only like an hour a day before the headaches kick in (and I'm by no means a sissy).

The Sony device will correct any not-so-good eyesight to about-zero eyesight, just like any lump of plastic strapped square across your face will do ;)

gizmag_logo_site.png

Now where I come from that has everything to do with biology and nothing to do with technology. Sorry but I found that extremely funny, and im sorry to go offtopic :)

Looks interesting but I dont like the headphone combination, depending on how good they are of course.

Edited by mrcash2009

If you want realism strap on a helmet to play. :p

Or just join the military. Its free and you get to fire alot of shit.....for FREE!

I did that. And it was. I'll stick to wearing a helmet and not marching 20 miles now.

Think I'll wait for a 1080 version :)

I'd think 1280x720 on a 0.7" screen is pretty pixel dense as is.

No way I'm going to strap this thing to my head.

Well, until they make full eyesight FOV with appropriate resolution and built in headtracking. :bigglasses:

For 300 bucks :rolleyes:

Recently I was using very expensive VR goggles (30kUSD). Two 1280x1024 less than 1†LCD screens, build head tracking and 3D effect. Not sure if all VR devices are like that, but this one wasn’t something mind-blowing. Picture was really bad and it made my eyes and brain hurt. Tech demos shipped with the device were pretty impressive (one of them was virtual apartment, you could walk around and do things and there was a dog sitting next to your feet. First time I saw him I literary jumped away, that’s how real it was); however I had serious problems while playing games. For example everything in ArmA was so tiny I couldn’t play it. I couldn’t tell if thing 100m away is a soldier or a bush. As I kid I always wanted VR helmets, I loved that idea, but I’m really skeptical now after what I experienced with device THAT expensive. I don’t think the tech is ready yet, maybe in ten years.

Recently I was using very expensive VR goggles (30kUSD). Two 1280x1024 less than 1†LCD screens, build head tracking and 3D effect. Not sure if all VR devices are like that, but this one wasn’t something mind-blowing. Picture was really bad and it made my eyes and brain hurt. Tech demos shipped with the device were pretty impressive (one of them was virtual apartment, you could walk around and do things and there was a dog sitting next to your feet. First time I saw him I literary jumped away, that’s how real it was); however I had serious problems while playing games. For example everything in ArmA was so tiny I couldn’t play it. I couldn’t tell if thing 100m away is a soldier or a bush. As I kid I always wanted VR helmets, I loved that idea, but I’m really skeptical now after what I experienced with device THAT expensive. I don’t think the tech is ready yet, maybe in ten years.

Your ingame problems are definitely setup related, if you can get hold of some decent red/cyan glasses, try the free IZ3D drivers and give it a whirl in ArmA2 right in your own home. You'll most likely get a far better gaming experience because you have the ability to set the separation and convergence to your liking, meaning that you will see things the size and distance you feel most beneficial.

I got some good gameplay out of it, but I don't use it permanently, there isn't too much about it that makes it really worth the eyestrain, but you can set the eye separation to only move one "eye", meaning you can use ironsights and holo sights etc just as in real life, one eye through the sight, the other to the left of it. So you actually close one eye to concentrate through the sight :)

Anyone got these yet?

Will they work with arma 2 in 3d?

Also check this out

rnbUsgJpKqs

Anyone got these yet?

Might be fun, but such investment might be soon redundant as 4k resolution takes over :D

Anyone got these yet?

On order.... should be here by the end of the week....

Gonk, I can't wait to hear how you get on with it!

I am very interested in this piece of kit, and have read some very good reviews of it too. I think perhaps if you had the budget and the proper means to implement it, it could be extremely immersive and fun, especially for Arma.

If you're interested in virtual reality, check out this concept vid by some clever guy who uses Kinect-captured body movement to animate his first-person avatar whilst also wearing Vuzix glasses. Doing this with the HMZ-T1 should be even more effective...Imagine being able to look down and see your characters' body moving in exact sync with your own... (you can kind of see why this guy chose a cute anime girl...)

Watch out, you can find part 2 of that video on your favourite 18+ sites soon. I have seen enough *, to know where this is going...

whoops forgot about the thread... anyway...

3d... the range from close to far is too great (depth of field).. i.e. real. Problem is 3d is not true 3d due to collimation of light off of objects, which is not possible to alter. So the range for me is too great and hurts my eyes. I think there is depth adjustment in the Nvidia Drivers I am yet to toy with. I tried BF3... (don't stone me...) and they have a better 3d simulation as it is a narrower depth of field which is easier on the eyes. Maybe younger eyes can handle the range... again subjective.

Comfort... very subjective!!... But very uncomfortable for me. Must be my weird shaped head... lol,... The pressure on the forehead is like torture but I have modified this and currently it is ok.. Google for mods and find one that is good for you.. But for the price I paid I did not want to have to spend time fixing up such a obvious issue..

Missing... Is any sort of Di-optic adjustment so I have to wear my glasses with it ( yes, there is room and my glasses fit)... I read reviews that it had di-optic adjustment but it just highlighted to me how poor our education system is (my spelling still sucks...) It has eye separation adjustment....not di-optic you tools..

Add-Ons. Works great with Track-ir... but I have so many wires connected to my head it scares the local dogs.. :-0

anyway.... lesson learnt... try before you buy as this unit is too subjective as to who likes or dislikes. I hope they address the 2 major short comings.. comfort and di-optic adjustment... If this is not improved I will wait for the close to zero bezel monitors and go down that path instead .

Edited by gonk

One aspect i would like to hear some experience reports from someone who has it and uses it: i ask myself how it works to find the right keys on the keyboard while playing as you can't actually see the keyboard (obviously). Also maybe switching from keyboard (infantry) to joystick (piloting) and back.

Somehow i think this is a major problem with such devices but i would like to hear the opinion from someone who has experience with it.

I seriously doubt they managed to bring down weight enough to be a non-issue for prolonged use. Wouldn't want to shell out 800 quid just to find I could use it for only like an hour a day before the headaches kick in (and I'm by no means a sissy).

Then you have to try the Night Visions we use in the military..........mounted on the kevlar helmet.......you want to take it of after 15 minuets.......but of course you can´t :)

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Well sony is developing a new version with a built in camera for the augmented reality.

But what this puppy can do is gonna be interesting

The google helmet :)

Myke;2137179']One aspect i would like to hear some experience reports from someone who has it and uses it: i ask myself how it works to find the right keys on the keyboard while playing as you can't actually see the keyboard (obviously). Also maybe switching from keyboard (infantry) to joystick (piloting) and back.

Somehow i think this is a major problem with such devices but i would like to hear the opinion from someone who has experience with it.

Voice recognition software coupled with goggles would be a win though, well for everyone except myself and others with a Scottish accent. Any fellow Scots who have used Siri will know where I am coming from. ;)

I already use Arma with a joypad and mouse combination for control and only ever really need my keyboard for text chat in game, as well as ordering my team around.

Anyone who has to wear protective headgear will probably not find the weight a problem, especially if you have to use built in ear defenders also, and those like myself with 20 20 vision who work on sites with enforced safety eye wear rules will probably not feel any more uncomfortable than they do in those situations either.

I don't think I would give up my monitors though, the goggles would be more like my headphones as they wouldn't replace my proper speakers but have their use, then they can come off when I am tired of wearing them.