falcon_565

ARMA 3 Engine and Fighting Positions, Trenches and Prepared Positions

could be a paint in the ass for tankers.

Combined arms tactics would be essential, infantry would be needed to winkle out hidden enemy AT gunners. Sounds fun.

Combined arms tactics would be essential, infantry would be needed to winkle out hidden enemy AT gunners. Sounds fun.

to me too ;)

But this VBS version uses Xaitment for AI movement, where this tech is not in Arma3. Just try giving orders to an AI placed on the LDA, and it becomes obvious how much work is needed just for that. And that is a terrain placed object.

As much as I like it, AI have to be able to use it as well.

I know that buildings have AI LODs that aid in path finding and cover. I don't see how these would be any different (Other than the whole being in the ground bit).

I do think that there should be mantle and jump actions though, especially if trenches are going to be introduced. I would hate to have to find an exit to get out; and having to drop down only to crawl out again would be really inconvenient, especially under fire and you need to get to point B really fast.

They would be annoying to defeat with just small arms unless grenades were given a new system of throwing and balance. Otherwise they'd just be camping pits with gun slits, though a good idea and that's their purpose, I don't discredit the idea.

They would be annoying to defeat with just small arms unless grenades were given a new system of throwing and balance. Otherwise they'd just be camping pits with gun slits, though a good idea and that's their purpose, I don't discredit the idea.

Adapt and overcome. That's all I have to say about that. ;)

Enemy trenched in?? They wont be going anywhere, call in some air-burst arty/mortars, job done.

Enemy trenched in?? They wont be going anywhere, call in some air-burst arty/mortars, job done.

And that's why you dig in with overhead cover. All of Nou's artillery fuses will finally have a reason to exist!

Addressing the issue of AI using it I think its good to reiterate that AI functionality can always be improved through scripting and other tricks and its more important for players and static AI to be able to use the system than it is for it to be perfect. I'd rather see it incorporated instead of shelved because its not perfect.

We would need ACE's shaped charge after-armor damage effects.

But this VBS version uses Xaitment for AI movement, where this tech is not in Arma3. Just try giving orders to an AI placed on the LDA, and it becomes obvious how much work is needed just for that. And that is a terrain placed object.

As much as I like it, AI have to be able to use it as well.

I made an inquiry into buying vbs and they told me that Xaitment wasn't implemented yet until 1.60 IIRC.

They could significantly improve our ability to adapt AI on our own to things like this if they gave us some of the features available in VBS2 in regards to commands like disableAI.

In VBS2 you can disable AI pathfinding and implement your own (they just respond to moving to positions in a very basic way, with no regards to whats in the way).

As there's no deformable terrain, how about placing craters?

Someone, made something very simple with crates in arma 2. Can't remember what it was called. But the mod Basically lowered that part of the ground where the satchel or grenade landed (as in it looked like a crater).