Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

The machine gun on top of a tank is an anti-aircraft gun ;)

problem is that helis have NO armour

It's only an AA gun if they can get that close. Once again, I was referring to people literally sending tanks, which have "AA guns" that are far out-ranged by helis, out to take down tank killer helis. It's stupid to do no matter how one looks at it.

Edited by GRS

It's only an AA gun if they can get that close. Once again, I was referring to people literally sending tanks, which have "AA guns" that are far out-ranged by helis, out to take down tank killer helis. It's stupid to do no matter how one looks at it.

ooooh ok i thought you hated the fact it can do that

I beat that one a few days ago. I had something like two Leopard 1A4s, four Leo 1A3s and four AMX-10 (with the missiles). Aside from that I had a Kiowa for recon purposes and two Chapparals for air defense. It's not that hard if you maneuver your armored/mechanized forces and pay attention to what the Soviets are throwing at you. There's an FOB to the right side of the map that you can use to replenish your Chinooks and trucks.

I got tank rushed near the end and was facing over a dozen T-64s but fortunately the peace treaty was signed before they got to the bridge.

Unfortunately I only have access to Leo1A1s and A2s, Chieftain Mk2 and Mk5 (though only one of each? :/ ), as well as M60, AMX-30 and AMX-30 Valorisé, which, unfortunately (apart from the Chieftains) are quite mediocre MBTs :(

I place 4 Marder A1s with MILAN F1 teams in the treelines surrounding the bridge, covering all sides, along with 2 flakpanzers (the better one), either a Striker or the German equivalent, 1 chapparal and usually around 6 MBTs also evenly spaced, covering all the flanks. However, I get rushed and overwhelmed nearly every time. The Chinooks can't keep up with resupplying my units and eventually the Soviets break through and destroy my command jeep.

Also, how do I take control of the French and US units?

ooooh ok i thought you hated the fact it can do that

No I think giving tanks any "AA" defense at all is a good idea to put strains on heli-spammers. :P I just hate when people think very limited "AA capability" = "AA unit". That's all I was getting at. :)

Unfortunately I only have access to Leo1A1s and A2s, Chieftain Mk2 and Mk5 (though only one of each? :/ ), as well as M60, AMX-30 and AMX-30 Valorisé, which, unfortunately (apart from the Chieftains) are quite mediocre MBTs :(

I place 4 Marder A1s with MILAN F1 teams in the treelines surrounding the bridge, covering all sides, along with 2 flakpanzers (the better one), either a Striker or the German equivalent, 1 chapparal and usually around 6 MBTs also evenly spaced, covering all the flanks. However, I get rushed and overwhelmed nearly every time. The Chinooks can't keep up with resupplying my units and eventually the Soviets break through and destroy my command jeep.

Also, how do I take control of the French and US units?

you cant take control of the allied units

what i did was push out and make some fall back lines, push your tanks our as far as you dare and keep some recon units out to see them coming. put some infantry and lighter vehicles in tree lines and as your tanks/recon start getting hit hard fall back to the infantry..make a stand there and then fall back to the bridge

the trick is not holding at the bridge but pushing out and delaying the russians further out

Don't overlook recon either. I remember having an umbrella of recce units out there so I could shift my lines accordingly. That way I wouldn't be desperately defending with a small force and then again when the rest of my units arrived to support. Instead they'd all be there to form one solid line, instead of two weak ones.

Admittedly, I don't use recon assets much, apart from the gazelle SNEB every now and again. They're just so lightly armoured and armed that they just end up being wasted deployment points.

I wouldn't have thought pushing out would be a wise move, because when (not 'if') that advanced force gets overwhelmed and obliterated, I'm left with lesser quality units to defend the bridge which is the actual mission objective. You don't get that many deployment points to start off with so surely it would make more sense deploying stronger units in an advantageous defensive position (treelines surrounding the bridge), than sending them out just to probe the enemy? Another problem is logistics: These probing attacks you suggest will require resupply, and I can't really afford to send out the pitiful supply trucks for that. I need all the supplies I can possibly get for my defensive positions back at the bridge

All about the recce. Just need to keep them out of fights. Then you know when the big attacks are coming and when to fall back so your advance force doesn't get wiped out by surprise.

I'm such a n00b.

Only last night (after 3 or 4 MP games) did I realise that I could add units to my starting deck :a:

Wheeey my 'long'est and first win streak in MP.

2 whole games :P

(only played 6 and the first 3 or4 were with/against ridiculously level'd players)

We should get some BI forum games going :)

My computer will be done in 3 days, so I'm in. Don't worry too much about level. Once you get past level eight or so its not very significant. By then you have enough stars to unlock a variety of units that can compete well, so long as you choose wisely and play one side. It is pretty unforgiving for newer players though.

I can't wait to play again. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing this new content.

Edited by GRS

Hell yeah, expensive though, gotta be careful ;)

My PC is being built tomorrow. Assuming all goes well I should be down for a game the day or night after.

Just unlocked the Challenger 1 and... Just wow!

got the M1 in one of the able archer missions

fucking amazing :D

Well, apparently copying your files to a new PC doesn't work. Bye-bye stars, level 30 and all decks.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely pissed. Powering through SP again to get what I can back.

Just play lots of coop, should get your stars back faster :)

I'm curious to know your opinions on infantry in this game. How do you guys employ them?

Efficiently :P

Best in woods and towns. They cannot take much damage but are easy to hide and can deal much more than they take. You can pull off some sneaky stuff with infantry.

I'm curious to know your opinions on infantry in this game. How do you guys employ them?

if i need to clear out a forest or build up area i send in my motorstrelki or panzergrenadiers :D and have my VDV/SAS flying behind enemy lines for recon

they are useful if you use them right

Yes, if concealed well in treelines, especially when armed with good ATGMs (Milan 2, Dragon II), they're pretty decent for defense, but very vulnerable.

Yes, if concealed well in treelines, especially when armed with good ATGMs (Milan 2, Dragon II), they're pretty decent for defense, but very vulnerable.

the motorstrelki are pretty darn effective with the rpg-7 in forests/towns ;)

I use motostrelci like there is no tomorrow. Deployed in basic Skots, sure, the basic Skot isn't worth anything really, but it's fast and then full vet infantry only costs 20 points. I like to own the woods. :P