Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

Yeah, that video changes everything. Any modern RTS without that kind of scale can never pretend to be remotely realistic. Even that WiC mod with the lovingly reproduced weapons systems is like a cartoon when you are always engaging with hellfires and MLRS from fifty yards away. With the kind of scale in Wargame, you can actually use ATGMs and artillery as they are meant to be used. Hopefully it can be modded, too.

i did read somewhere that they may add mod tools

Is he french?

eugen systems are french

Some more gameplay:

hl_MQTe18S8

The tracers are waaay overdone. I hope that it will be possible to reduce or disable them.

The tracers are waaay overdone. I hope that it will be possible to reduce or disable them.

I guess it's on purpose, as an helper in the wargame.

Yeah, it's clear that they aren't meant to be tracers so much as player-convenience imaginary spotting rounds, like in Empire Total War.

The problem is that the engine doesn't tone them down when you are zoomed in. They have enormous trails of fire for tank rounds, that don't even align to the barrel.

I just hope infantry combat doesn't suck like in most game like this.

NDA has been lifted. If any of you got questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer them.

For "big gun" projectiles, yes. I think Eugen deliberately put them in as a visual aid/indicator for the player. The closed beta build did not have any options for tweaking that.

Is the infantry combat worth anything or do they just run around take more hits than humans can take?

Infantry combat is rather abstracted. You won't see individual infantrymen doing intricate fire and movement but it's hard to say anything about "taking more hits than humans can take".

I guess what I'm getting at is is the infantry combat believable? Or is it kind of an afterthought like in many games like this.

Edited by GRS

The game is comparable to what? WIC, RUSE, Close Combat...? Looks like WIC on steroids.

Are you enjoying it? How is the MP? Performace?

I guess what I'm getting at is is the infantry combat believable? Or is it kind of an afterthought like in many games like this.

Hard question to answer since the infantry combat doesn't have much granularity since you mostly give orders to whole platoons rather than individual squads. (Compared to games like Combat Mission where it definitely attempts to depict detailed infantry combat).

The game is comparable to what? WIC, RUSE, Close Combat...? Looks like WIC on steroids.

Are you enjoying it? How is the MP? Performace?

Like a larger-scale (and appropriately streamlined due to difference in scale) Close Combat IMO, which I enjoyed. Performance seemed pretty good but the closed beta MP netcode was very shoddy--random disconnects could happen which I hope Eugen has addressed. (e.g. Player 3 has 9999 ping and his units are not moving at all, 5 minutes later he disconnects)

So far I'm liking what I'm hearing. This game has a road network for supplies right? Is that well implemented or is it like in ruse were you have no control over it and your supply trucks will take the shortest path, even if an enemy unit is blocking it? Or do I have this all wrong?

Yes, there is a road network. You have to use the "MOVE FAST" command to have your units use roads to move to their destination. Otherwise right click move will have your units ignore roads. (Important if you want your frontline combat units use as little fuel as possible moving to the frontline)

So do you like the way the road system works? Supply seems to be were so many wargames are lacking. I hope this one does it right.

The road system is fine. I would have liked the units to use dirt roads if the route was shorter instead of just paved roads. The beta only had 1 map though, so I have no idea how the other maps and their road networks are.

But for supply: Supply trucks carry various amounts of "supply points" (usually 1000-1500 each). To resupply you simply need to park the trucks (they can come in platoons of up to 4 vehicles) close to a unit or platoon that needs restocking (ammo and fuel) and said unit will be automatically resupplied as long the trucks have enough supply points.

Replenishment of ammo won't cost the same, so for example replenishing a platoon of M60A3s could cost 500-600 supply points while restocking a flight of 2 AH-64s with their costly Hellfires could be 900. (Being very rough here)

I like it. It demands supply lines but doesn't force the player into a time consuming micro management system like in MoW. Thanks for all your answers. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. :D

New video of the recently-implemented NATO icons (the closed beta used generic diamonds):

zgHFGzNql0s

i guess its the same way as most RTS games for getting units? capture supply points and get money?

i guess its the same way as most RTS games for getting units? capture supply points and get money?

No...you purchase units with a pre-set amount of points. You can gain additional purchase points by placing a command vehicle on marked objective areas when the battle starts.

I get the feeling this game could use some extra advertising.

No...you purchase units with a pre-set amount of points. You can gain additional purchase points by placing a command vehicle on marked objective areas when the battle starts.

oooooooh i like the sound of that :)