Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

WW4 Modpack 2.5

I knew i forgot something, i wanted to add a secondary ammo for the launchers that allowed the AI to target aircraft and another ammo that allowed them to target everything, if there's a patch 2 someday this will be in.

I really like the addition of the jump/vaulting ability, picket fences will no longer hold me back!

I was wondering however if it is possible to shorten the animation so that it stops in mid-air rather than finishing once your feet hit the ground on the other side. This might allow it to be used to climb on top of crates etc. At the moment you can "fall through" the top of something if you try to climb on top of it with vaulting.

If the time is available, an Arma style vaulting animation would also be really useful for getting through windows, there are spare fastB's available in crouchActions and combatActions that could be used for this.

Also I noticed that WW4_AKABGP25 is using the wrong muzzle (AK74).

That's something i tried, but it didn't lead into the result i was expecting, the soldier instead of ending in the air and so falling naturally on the ground is "teleported" on the ground directly, so even when you think you could move on a crate, the soldier is not going to land on top of it for some reason.

Probably something to do with how it is configured, but i don't know how to prevent the "stick" to ground result at the end.

You can try the experimental jumpover.rtm from inside the .rar archive, it's cut in the mid air, there's not landing on the ground frames.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rewwkr

(replace the jumpover.rtm from inside ww4_modanim.pbo by the new one) if you want to give a try in solving the "teleport to ground" problem that occurs if it's used.

For the muzzle, i'll fix that for patch 2

Suggestion: Wouldn't you like to make the ammo of the side-machinegun(Or the machinegun itself for the cars) from the vehicles a little bit more realistic? Like 100 round mag and some extra mags there instead of one big mag of 500 rounds?

PS: The FAV for the independent side is a work of art, excelent job Sanc!

Regarding the 'long range' magazines.

I don't know if you've done this for purpose, but now, all marksman weapons use WLR or ELR mags, including 9mm Para MP5, 9x39mm Groza and VSS, 7.62mm AK-47 and 7.62x51mm FAL. If LR mags are made upon 5.56 and 5.45 calibres (it looks so in-game, haven't checked the config though), then using it in VSS or FAL is very un-realistic - Vintorez effective range is even smaller than normal AK-74 in real life, so it shouldn't be equal to 'AI-friendly' marksman AK, which have higher range.

Or am I wrong? :confused:

Edited by krzychuzokecia
typo

Hopefully patch 2 will get things rolling there, without breaking the balance i've established.

Another suggestion that wouldn't need much work.

You could expand the WW4 BI vehicles to include versions of the BI gunships with no gunner position (i.e. hasgunner = 0), allowing the pilot direct control of the chain gun, I found this makes for excellent dogfights in MP. Gunnerless versions of the ww4 cars and JeepMG would also be a cool addition.

Great improvements from 2.5, interesting to see the simulation of body armor. Adds a lot to the firefights.

There are three things that I personally would have done differently (/added).

Firstly, right now all West and East troops that are auto-riflemen use the M249 SAW, RPK-74 and the machine gunners the M240 and PKM. I know that this is a fantasy mod, but I think that giving the more special units, Recon, Spec Ops, Shadow Ops and Anti Terror, better versions of these weapons would differentiate them more from the regular units, and make them more effective. Like adding the following:

-M249 Para or PIP with an Eotech;

-M240 with an M145;

-PKM with a Kobra and aimpoint.

Secondly the AN-94 being used by the East Recon troops. The East Spec Ops troops use the AK-74M, a limited production weapon like that would seem more logical being in the hands of special forces troops than elite recon troops. Besides logic, that's mainly a gripe because I like shooting with the AN-94 :p

And finally, tracers. I am not sure how much it would impact on performance, since even in large fights the framerate doesn't drop that much which I very much appreciate, but the laser tracers really detract from the immersion factor that the fighting offers. Tracers like those use in SLX, FFSX and I44 would make it look much more realistic imo.

My original plan was to make each corps having completely different weapons, but because it takes lot of time to model something i couldn't do it in the time i was devoting to the mod, so i pushed back this idea.

It will certainly make it in WW4 Modpack 3.0

For tracers, it will not be integrated to the mod, i don't want the troops to use built-in eventhandlers, this kind of thing are a problem for mission making in which mission makers giving by scripts eventhandlers to troops can conflict with eventhandlers built in a config.

I had problems like this with some addons that had several eventhandlers in their config when i was using scripted ones.

I believe it's a much better idea to leave the tracer being setup by the mission makers , using his prefered addon ( by example BN880 tracers )

@zeewolf

I didn't thought about it, but it could be fun indeed, i'll try experimenting to see how it's going to be ingame and for the AI.

They're not empty.

Keep in mind they are ammo boxes, not weapon ones, in OFP terms it means that you'll see the ammo only fitting the rifle you have (you'll see the "take nameoftheammo" action when you approach one), meaning if you go with a M4, you will not see the M249 ammo that are in the ammo box, only the one fitting your M4 depsite there is ammo for M249 in there too.

Or if you approach an ammo crate that has western ammo, while you're carrying an eastern rifle, you'll have access to nothing.

Edited by Sanctuary

They're not empty.

Keep in mind they are ammo boxes, not weapon ones, in OFP terms it means that you'll see the ammo only fitting the rifle you have (you'll see the "take nameoftheammo" action when you approach one), meaning if you go with a M4, you will not see the M249 ammo that are in the ammo box, only the one fitting your M4 depsite there is ammo for M249 in there too.

Or if you approach an ammo crate that has western ammo, while you're carrying an eastern rifle, you'll have access to nothing.

You could make weapon boxes additionally to the ammo boxes; you could make for example a "rifle box", a "MG box" and perhaps an "AT-Launcher box".

I've been using gunnerless versions of the BI vehicles for ages in the mod set my clan plays (basically vanilla OFP with extra anims, ability to carry two rifles, swimming, gunnerless vehicles, flashbangs, Javelins and AN94s in a mod we refer to as FP++).

The gunnerless helicopters make for great MP dogfights, not having to rely on picking up a gunner is really handy. The AI can handle them fine, you'll struggle to notice the difference between a normal AI chopper and a gunnerless one. Shilkas, Vulcans, BMP 2s and Bradleys are also great as gunnerless vehicles. Tanks are not really effective for players because there is a huge parallax error when using 3rd person to aim, but they are useful for reducing the number of AI units in a mission.

I've always wondered if the BI models could be tweaked to put the driver's view onto the main gun axis, allowing a BF2 style one man tank. It's a shame there isn't a mod offering low poly MP optimised vehicles to complement WW4's excellent infantry.

Gun wise I'd really like to see the assault rifle grenade launchers given red dot sights, otherwise I think the range offered by WW4 is very comprehensive.

Edited by *Zeewolf*

You could make weapon boxes additionally to the ammo boxes; you could make for example a "rifle box", a "MG box" and perhaps an "AT-Launcher box".

I knew someone would suggest me that someday :D

I'll have to get other my lazyness and try to adds a few weapons crates too.

I'll see if i can improve the GL sight.

ok I added the Lamusoft weapons and default weapons replacement config and now, the ability for you to peak over a hill prone is gone. now when you press turbo and back you just move backwards... what did i screw up? lmao

Unless i missed something, i think the weapon replaced config you're using was for WW4 2.1 , some things have changed in the class CfgMovesMC for WW4 2.5.

So open the config.cpp of WW4 Modpack 2.5 with a text editor and copy the whole CfgMovesMC section, as instructed there :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2014539&postcount=23

Then select the same whole section on your edited config.cpp with the weapon replacement, delete it, and paste the one from WW4 2.5

Save the changes, and you should have the new anims working with your config

now when you press turbo and back you just move backwards... what did i screw up? lmao

arn't u forgot put the weapon to ur back before try climb?

Edited by Incubus

arn't u forgot put the weapon to ur back before try climb?

Actually not climbing. In 2.5 you can now peak over the crest of hills using turbo.. I mean I used to be able to lol.fixing it soon here.

There's still some little faults in the animations:

When crouching and strafing right, if you push the backwards key, the character first takes a step left before doing so.

The character's stance also gets reset to standing if you go backwards during left or right crouch strafing, unlike it is with left-back, back, and right-back strafing. Same case with crouch sprinting forward.

Animations are also missing correct transitions when a rocket launcher is equiped and the character puts the weapon on pack, both with pistol and rifle animations.

Correct transition also missing when you throw a grenade and put the weapon on back while standing.

Edited by Rellikki

Thanks for the reports, i'll see what i can do with this.

For the desert islands, i'm building a mosque building (very inspired by the Dome of the Rock, used a photo of it for the side texture) that should come nicely with the scenery, and it's using a single 512*512 texture so it should not have much impact on performance once i'll finish the lods.

KNVgMs.jpg

Just noticed the memorial object in the editor. Nice tribute. I like the model itself too and that new mosque building looks very nice too. What program do you use to make the models?

I'm using Blender, with Vektorboson import/export scripts, it's extremely good for working on OFP models and once finished, exporting them into P3D for O2 minor finalisation.

Nice work Sanc.

I'm using Blender, with Vektorboson import/export scripts, it's extremely good for working on OFP models

And once you get used to it,it's very difficult to go back.In fact,for me personally,

there's no way I'd use O2 for anything other than finalizing the models. :)