Sign in to follow this  
Robster

sat map color

Hey dudes!

I've been told that apps like Photoshop works with some adjusting color parameters to display a better color ingame, i.e., sat map and color textures...

Once I heard sometihing about RGB ICCs, color management and PBC (something)...

Does anynone knows which is the best config to work with color just to be sure that it will look fine ingame?

The idea is to keep accurate colors ingame, since my last projects lack of "vibrance" when imported to game... looking a bit desaturated and never the same...

I know this is going beyond mere map making but, for all of aus, ArmA map makers is important... i.e.: to get a satout pic which tones and colors really matches the sat pic... hope someone can help...

Salutes compadritous!!!

Good question Robster!

It's the "conversion to .paa" - plus to a lesser extent, the lighting in-game that makes texture colours - whether its a ground texture tile, or your whole Sat Layer - look sortof... lighter / paler/ more desaturated / ...

You can see this easy when making ground textures... You get a texture the way you want it - drag it into Texview to convert to .paa and suddenly it looks quite different! Especially noticable if you still have photoshop open with the original texture so you're seeing them both at once...!

I've just basically learned to allow for that through trial and error... When making my sat layer I have several layers piled up in Photoshop anyway, so what I do is - right at the top of the layers stack I create a couple of "Adjustment layers" - one for Hue/saturation, and one for Brightness/contrast... these are like "overall Final Shaders" for all the layers below... Like ".paa compensators" even :D

Then I tweak those - save - import and take a look... until it looks the way I want it in-game...

Changing Photoshop's actual "colourspace" sounds like a clever idea though... especially if you could just switch back and forth between "normal" and "balanced for Arma 2".... no idea how to do that though, I'm afraid...

B

B

Good question Robster!

Changing Photoshop's actual "colourspace" sounds like a clever idea though... especially if you could just switch back and forth between "normal" and "balanced for Arma 2".... no idea how to do that though, I'm afraid...

B

We know that PS can manage color according its source, i.e., RAW cameras...

and ArmA2 manage color according hour and climate settings...

As you mentioned, it should be possible to get some "frame" that works the best for game... I mean best possible choices dealing with contrast, tone and color... so far I've discovered that is better to set some min and specially max values for colors when applying into sat pic... i mean pure white and specially pure black should be avoided almost everytime... this way the whole tonal range is "clipped" and thus hard transitions of colors on grounds should stay fixed... but getting a good overall looking pic it's often tricky since pic turns too grayish, darkened or desaturated... you know what i mean...

That's our life... so, I guess we should keep trying just by mere "instinct" ;)

just like an artist!!! hahahahah