Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

The worldcup 2002, who wins

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ June 07 2002,21:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn that was some match.

I never saw a team play so defensive.

Pathetic, England!

I thought you liked the game mad.gif

Argentina looked much more like a World Champion, and England should take the first plane home.

Just goes to show, that football is not fair.

And poor little Beckham, whose life is so tough, he almost cried when he scored that penalty  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL biased much? smile.gif

England only played defensively in the last 15-20 minutes, saying that Argentina played liked world champions is sheer nonsense. First half and up until midway through the second half England were constantly on the counter attack and could easily have been 2 or 3 goals in the lead, I guess you missed the 17 pass move leading up to Sheringham's stunning right footed volley? Or the superbly struck Scholes volley from 35 yards which again took a good save from their keeper? Or perhaps the move which ended up with Beckham running the length of the pitch and just dragging his shot wide? Or the Sinclair run and shot? I could go on.

As for football not being fair, no it's not, if it were then Argentina would have been down to ten men, Batistuta made at least 4 challenges worthy of a yellow card.

If Argentina were so great how come they barely managed a shot on target? Other than the Batistuta header in the first half and the header from a corner in the second half Seaman was barely troubled, while the Argentina keeper had to make at least half a dozen quality saves, not including the superb Owen dribble and shot that came back off the inside of the post, Argentina had a fair few shots but most of them went a long long way over the goal.

As for Beckham nearly crying, perhaps if you knew anything about football and the significance of that goal, the events of the last 4 years, the events of the last 8 weeks, then perhaps you'd understand, but clearly all that escaped you smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pukko @ June 07 2002,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">we have to get that bloody Ljungberg in particular to take some defensive resposibility<span id='postcolor'>

I heavily disagree with that, you should do the complete opposite, find a role for him where he has zero defensive duties to worry about and completely freeing him up to make the kind of powerful surging forward runs he makes for Arsenal (17 goals last season for Arsenal, 2 in total for Sweden and not a one in three years, says a lot). He's also a good creator of goals, I'd suggest playing him behind the front two or changing to Larsson up front on his own with Ljungberg in the "hole" behind him. The Swedish side has some good strong tacklers with good engines, you need to free the quality players to do the job they're best at.

You could even play 4-5-1 with Larsson up front, and Ljungberg and Anders Svensson in free roles behind him, have the 3 other midfielders pressing the opposing team and then releasing the ball to Ljungberg and Svensson as soon as they win it, from what I've seen it would be your best attacking option smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 08 2002,00:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL biased much? smile.gif

England only played defensively in the last 15-20 minutes, saying that Argentina played liked world champions is sheer nonsense. First half and up until midway through the second half England were constantly on the counter attack and could easily have been 2 or 3 goals in the lead, I guess you missed the 17 pass move leading up to Sheringham's stunning right footed volley? Or the superbly struck Scholes volley from 35 yards which again took a good save from their keeper? Or perhaps the move which ended up with Beckham running the length of the pitch and just dragging his shot wide? Or the Sinclair run and shot? I could go on.

As for football not being fair, no it's not, if it were then Argentina would have been down to ten men, Batistuta made at least 4 challenges worthy of a yellow card.

If Argentina were so great how come they barely managed a shot on target? Other than the Batistuta header in the first half and the header from a corner in the second half Seaman was barely troubled, while the Argentina keeper had to make at least half a dozen quality saves, not including the superb Owen dribble and shot that came back off the inside of the post, Argentina had a fair few shots but most of them went a long long way over the goal.

As for Beckham nearly crying, perhaps if you knew anything about football and the significance of that goal, the events of the last 4 years, the events of the last 8 weeks, then perhaps you'd understand, but clearly all that escaped you smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hehe, hit a sore spot?

You should just be happy you won.

Maybe, if we're really lucky, youll get to meet Denmark in the next round, and you can beat us also.

I understand the significance of football, the mythology of England vs. Argentina and all the other crap.

Why do you imagine Beckham cried?

Because football is no longer a sport but a buisness?

nah...

He's a great player b.t.w. no doubt about it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ June 07 2002,23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe, hit a sore spot?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope just felt the urge to point out your complete inaccuracy smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if we're really lucky, youll get to meet Denmark in the next round, and you can beat us also.<span id='postcolor'>

I hope not, when we have matches that "on paper" we should win we tend to play shit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do you imagine Beckham cried?<span id='postcolor'>

I explained that smile.gif

Ok, a friend of mine placed a $100 bet on this game, he betted on Mexico while I betted on Italy. Who do you guy think will win this game? Please help!

And England vs Nigeria-- Who is gonna win? England or nigeria?? Again, I was betted $100 on this game. I chose England. Who is gonna kick who?

Italy will beat Mexico, although Italy are already through I think? So it's possible they may rest most of their star players, their reserves should be of the quality to still win though.

England "should" beat Nigeria, however depending on Nigeria's mood it will either be a 1 goal game if Nigeria are fighting for some pride, or if Nigeria simply don't care England could well win by a couple of clear goals, it's also possible that England may freeze with the "what if" as they did against Greece in the qualifiers, in which case it could be a dour tense 0-0, but my hunch is England to win a tight game.

As for England-Argentina. Really great for all the English fans here!!

Though as a neutral viewer I didn't really enjoy the match. Don't get me wrong, it contained really great quality of individual players, and the defensive half hour of England was errorless. But I was hoping for a more open game, one which would really show these teams can be counted as two of the favorites, and why this poule was called "The poule of death". Now only Owen showed some really impressive stuff, but there was loads of more great talent on the field not expressed (mostly on Argentina's side).

But the outcome will promise the last two matches in this poule to be extremely interesting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 08 2002,02:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">England "should" beat Nigeria<span id='postcolor'>

This is hard to tell.

On a good day Nigeria can beat anyone, but on a bad day they can be beaten by anyone.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hasharajima @ June 07 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, a friend of mine placed a $100 bet on this game, he betted on Mexico while I betted on Italy. Who do you guy think will win this game? Please help!

And England vs Nigeria-- Who is gonna win? England or nigeria?? Again, I was betted $100 on this game. I chose England. Who is gonna kick who?<span id='postcolor'>

Do you even have $100 to bet? Aren't you in high school? All the highschoolers I know would buy $100 worth of pot if they had $100. I'd rather bet my money on the NBA or NHL playoffs, at least then you don't have to wake up in the ungodly hours of the night/monring to watch the game.

-=Die Alive=-

Is it just me or are the Japanese boring spectators? The atmosphere in Korean stadiums is much better IMO.

I lost my first bet of the world cup (england 1- argies.....). Oh well, i just bet for the fun of it, it helps me really get in the mood for yelling (profanities biggrin.gif ) and cheering. So far this world cup has been really good to me ($wink.gifbiggrin.gif

b.t.w. I agree that spain had the better second half.

wohooo  80 minutes gone and Croatia are beating Italy by 2-1 biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

last minute equiliser is disallowed

Full time score Croatia 2 Italy 1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 08 2002,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wohooo  80 minutes gone and Croatia are beating Italy by 2-1 biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

last minute equiliser is disallowed  

Full time score   Croatia 2  Italy 1<span id='postcolor'>

that sux confused.gif

It was a good game, even if Italy deserved to win for the part of the match (and 2 goals disallowed)

still well done Croatia for the two goals

Italy defeated !!! wow.gif

Is there ANY favourite who hasnt been defeated now?

tounge.gif

i think of the big favourites to win only Brazil is left undefeated

then Germany (who had a draw with Ireland)

and England (who drew with Sweden)

France under great pressure(might go out)

Argentina under pressure (must beat Sweden)

now Italy under pressure

Portugal beaten by the USA

etc

Hehe... Go Croatia! They are my favourites (second after Sweden of course!wink.gif. And they were good, especially the first half - although they didnt make any goals they were dominating. The second half was great. The Italians got their shit togeather and scored. Then Croatia scored, twice within three minutes.

The goals that were disallowed - the first one because of offside (questionable actually) and the second one was because the referee had raised the flag before the goal. The croatian players were aware of it, so they didn't try to defend the goal. Some of the Italian players didn't see the flag so they continued playing. So that disallowement was ok.

The first Italian goal was very nice indeed, but the second Croatian goal was utterly cool.

What was interesting that neither Suker (top scorer last WC) and Prosinecki wern't playing. This shows that the third place they came in last WC was not an accident. They are a very competent football nation and I wish them the best of luck. Unless they meet Sweden, that is smile.gif

im afraid sweden wouldnt have a chance against croatia i watched their last two games and sweden cant control the forward counter attacks of other teams, Nigeria should have had a couple of goals against them if they had decent finishers like what croatia have I was expecting more from sweden sad.gif

I know sad.gif

Our problem is that the major Swedish organizer and captain of the team Patrik Andersson is injured. We were horrible against Nigeria. They tore right through our defences.

I am telling you - give the African nations German coaches and they will kick all our European asses.

so far it's 4-0 to brazil against china!

The brazilians are playing bad in passin everything but are doing really well in the forwards.

I was just watching the italy vs. crotia match in this french cafe on a projector. It was quite funny for all because one second one side of the crowd is up in the air then the next moment it was the other. I wasn't supporting anybody (maybe italy, but that's because i was surronded by them) but the last disallowed goal by italy which the same linesman was definitely a goal. If anything the the goal should be disallowed because the italian nicked the goalie with his boots. You can see clearly that he was onside when the pass was made so??? Although i wasn't particularly fussed over it anyway. It was quite funny to see the croatian (olic?) couldn't put his shirt back on after scoring his goal.

i thought it was disallowed due to something happening with the last defender rather than the goalkeeper the linesman had called it by that time

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 08 2002,14:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">im afraid sweden wouldnt have a chance against croatia   i watched their last two games and sweden cant control the forward counter attacks of other teams,  Nigeria should have had a couple of goals against them if they had decent finishers   like what croatia have      I was expecting more from sweden  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, I might not be a great football analyser, but I really thought it was mostly a midfield ball possesion and pressure problem against Nigeria, like I have said earlier.

But I remember that the former Norwegian coach "Drillo" (who comments the WC on Swedish TV) thought the Swedish defence against England was completely perfect. Not once did we let one English player pass the defenders during normal play according to him; and I think he is right about that.

Normally the defence is Swedens best part, and it was real nice to see that not even an injured Patrik Andersson (captain, central defender) replaced by a very (in the naitional team) green Jakobsson would make the defence weaker against England.

I think they will take the bad defence against Nigeria with them for the best agaist Argentina.

The question is how important Patrik Andersson really is... Maybe he is not really injured at all now; they might use it as an official reason to keep him of - he might very well be in a too bad 'match shape' (only one or two matches in 2 months if I recall it right) to be a safe choise...

The game against Argentina will be tough. On the other hand, this is football, anything can happen. This has been true especially this year.

And we still have Henke Larsson, Henke! Henke! smile.gif

I can't understand why our coach doesnt give Zlatan Ibrahimovic the chance to play. Sure he us young, but he is one of Swedens most creative and promising players.

Japan the RISING SUN vs Russia. My heart is with JAPAN ALL THE WAY!! The RISING SUN OF ASIA WILL SHINE BRIGHT AND STRONG!