Sign in to follow this  
Militant1006

Functioning Co-Pilots

I wanted to mention something that makes sense, having a working co-pilot seat, being able to take over from the actual pilot if he is either killed, wounded, or he accepts to hand over controls, what do you guys think?

Yeah I would like to see this... Maybe some other features can be added..Co-pilot related I mean.. Extra things like great one liners and an awesome tache...

Edited by wolfbite

On the vehicles which allows this scheme - sure, would be nice

alternitivly, make the co-pilot the vehicles "commander". its not realistic, but if you hand over the navigating, target acquisition, and other duties to him it frees up the pilot for, you know, flying

I think everyone agrees that it should be included, but lets discuss it in more detail. Say the player was copiloting a transport helicopter. What would he do? What functions are at his disposal?

I highly support the addition of this feature. It certainly would be nice for those times when the pilots' connection inevitably times out and the infantrymen in the back can't do anything but watch hopelessly as they ride the chopper to their fiery demise.

I think everyone agrees that it should be included, but lets discuss it in more detail. Say the player was copiloting a transport helicopter. What would he do? What functions are at his disposal?

If a helo were to have a co-pilot, he would be the only one with access to the map? Just an idea :)

yeeeeeeeah. And same for AI. If AI chopper pilot is shot, and there is AI Co-pilot available, the controls would be relayed to him.

I would love to see this. It could possibly save more lives in the game.

Also would like to request some kind of icon that pops up in your HUD when your VC is dead. Like a flashing red circle with an exclamation point. Just in case your not able to see your VC.

If a helo were to have a co-pilot, he would be the only one with access to the map? Just an idea :)

It's a start. but I don't see Co-Pilots lining up just for map controls. I can't come up with any Ideas.

----Added 2 Minutes later:----

I did like that "Observer" feature that was on the UH-1Y, Maybe have that same kind of feature on the transport aircraft?

Edited by Haystack15

totally yes, would be cool if it would work like microsoft fsx.

copilot and pilot basicly can access all the same thingeys, and also switch controls.

Example: Pilot needs to go afk for a minute, he can handle the controls over to his copilot.

Yes, This is one of my biggest complaints with Arma2 that I wish they would fix. If you cannot control the AI pilots better such as in auto-hover you should be able to command pilot to turn chopper L,R,UP, or dn to line up target when you play as gunner. Or the ability to tell Pilot to engage a target with hydra missiles while you are gunner. More powerful Hellfires that actually kill nearby people. Using BigDawgs Hellfire addon that uses topdown hellfire strikes i lasered a hellfire right near an enemy soldier and he ran away, Ridiculous! But tanks and cars are toast. I wish they would patch for this and certainly address this in Arma3. Also, I wish the animations, like in real life, would show disintegration of enemies when hit by 20mm or bigger and not just throw them a few yards away. Just animate a splattery mess which looks great under Thermalvision.This is a simulator by the way. Kids don't play this game like COD. Give us some real destruction and carnage. http://www.youtube.com/user/CokemanChatt?feature=mhee

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Yes, This is one of my biggest complaints with Arma2 that I wish they would fix. If you cannot control the AI pilots better such as in auto-hover you should be able to command pilot to turn chopper L,R,UP, or dn to line up target when you play as gunner. Or the ability to tell Pilot to engage a target with hydra missiles while you are gunner. More powerful Hellfires that actually kill nearby people. Using BigDawgs Hellfire addon that uses topdown hellfire strikes i lasered a hellfire right near an enemy soldier and he ran away, Ridiculous! But tanks and cars are toast. I wish they would patch for this and certainly address this in Arma3. Also, I wish the animations, like in real life, would show disintegration of enemies when hit by 20mm or bigger and not just throw them a few yards away. Just animate a splattery mess which looks great under Thermalvision.This is a simulator by the way. Kids don't play this game like COD. Give us some real destruction and carnage.

Edited by Bobby2

Sounds ok. I like this idea, I'm just trying to hash out the details. I don't think you should propose something with no idea where its headed. So what if the player is the pilot? What does the AI copilot do?

Does the player/pilot have no access to the map? So would the copilot give left/right/forward/halt commands like a tank commander?

Imho there should be some restrictions or this will end up in stupid + unreal shooter gameplay. Something along the line "its too difficult to engage/attack while flying". There must be and stay a good reason to fly with a gunner/weapon systems officer or co-pilot.

At the moment at least the gunner aims the gun... wether he uses it is another question.. Yeah the only thing I can think of the co-pilot doing is taking control when the pilot is incapacitated... wich would be good... But it should only be doiable in choppers that have dual controls.

The Hind doesnt have dual controls so the gunner is just a gunner.. dunno about the apache..

I'm dubious about giving over any map reading or key features to others... Having the co tell me where targets are and give me a warning about objects when landing (Along with the door gunners) and having the ability to take over from pilot are at it really needs....

Many modern helicopters are able to be piloted by both pilot and co pilot, apache is one of them yes and have been since desert storm.

Well I see the issue of battle helos as less of an issue, they already have a purpose for the second slot. It's the cargo & other helos that are problematic. Not problematic exactly, but unrealistic in that the second seat is treated as a cargo seat.

Maybe the pilot seat should be for ONLY flying, and the second seat be for all other functions? Like the aforementioned map, but also the radar info etc?

I don't know how this would affect SP play with an AI in the second slot, so maybe have that as an MP feature only?

I think this would be a nice feature, but IMO it also has a few drawbacks.

In MP (non AI) missions you would always need to get an extra pilot slot for

the same tasks that one pilot can complete at this moment.

This is no problem with bigger missions but this can pose a problem in the smaller (-CO20) missions.

It wouldnt bother me too much as long as vehicles had the full crew onboard so things like radio seats and co pilot seats dont get taken up by passengers.. just let aircraft have their full compliment.. but yeah.. I dont like having empty crew seats either...

I think this would be a nice feature, but IMO it also has a few drawbacks.

In MP (non AI) missions you would always need to get an extra pilot slot for

the same tasks that one pilot can complete at this moment.

This is no problem with bigger missions but this can pose a problem in the smaller (-CO20) missions.

Well in a pragmatic sense the "lone" pilot can still effectively pilot a helo, he just wouldn't have the necessary extra info he might need. It wouldn't restrict the gameplay much, if the pilot already knows where he's going he might not need a co-pilot. Just trying to think of ways to make the co-pilot seat a non-cargo seat.