Sign in to follow this  
cpl_hicks

Will large ships be able to move?

Well

If Maruk or one of BIS developers posts a link to Arma 2 MLODs and they let us use them I would restart inmediately the work on the LHD.

But not a second before

To be fair I am sure they have their reasons, but just out of curiousity I would like to know why..........:confused:

Because he was illegally modifying the models. Ripped models, or cracked, or whatever you want to call them. Because BIS hasn't officially released the ArmA 2 Mlods and because he didn't send an e-mail requesting permission (and get permission), it was considered illegal.

It is their game of course so we have to be respectful, but I am just trying to figure out the logic behind it.

sorry but that is sooo lame! its for the same game not even for another game or whatever!

Sorry but your comment is sooo short sighted.

You ever heard of file format conversion?

yes but the models are being used for this game alone! thus making the LHD better and more fun to play, thus making the game more fun = bigger payday for bohemia!

i am just saying, that as long as it will require the original models or checks for them it should not be an issue!

You ever heard of file format conversion?

Are BIS' ODOL more difficult to unbinarize than an ODOL made by a modder?

yes but the models are being used for this game alone! thus making the LHD better and more fun to play, thus making the game more fun = bigger payday for bohemia!

i am just saying, that as long as it will require the original models or checks for them it should not be an issue!

I did, and I did BAD!!!!

Period!!!!

This is not the movable LHD addon you are looking for!!!! Move Along!!! Move Along!!!

If BI released the MLOD's for ships, modders could potentially make larger movable ships?

I think what mankyle is trying to say (very politely I might add) is quit talking about the MLOD's before they lock this thread on us.

As I said before:

"This is not the Ilegally Unbinarized LHD P3D model you are looking for!!! Move along!!! Move Along!!!"

Now seriously, stop talking about the LHD.

This thread is about "Will large ships be able to move?", nothing to do with your addon specifically. So how about you move along.

Out of the ~100 mentions of "LHD" in this thread, only 2 are made by someone other than you.

Pulverizer. I don't want to start a flame war, sorry

Now, I'm getting a lot of practical experience with the engine's limitations because I'm helping Arremba San Zorzo with his "Progetto Flotta" Mod.

Just today I got ingame the San Giusto LPD and its terrific. BUT, and this is a big BUT, there are some hard limitations with the game engine.

Nowadays, in Arma 2, the main limitations for moving ships are:

- Absence of Physx: because different objects do not move along each other unless they are attached (in Arma 2)

- GEO LOD size limitations: Because the GEO LOD starts behaving very unstably over some sizes.

If BIS solves one of these limitations for Arma 3 I will be very happy, if BIS developers solve both I will die of ecstasy

Being able to walk/land/ store vehicles on board without them falling off would make movable ships actually useful.

Guess BIS could make some Fast Attack Craft, Littoral Combat Ship, Patrol Boat and perhaps something like a modern Zubr class LCAC as non-static ships. Doubt that we will see fully simulated + working aircraft carrier or larger ships in A3 from BIS.

Guess BIS could make some Fast Attack Craft, Littoral Combat Ship, Patrol Boat and perhaps something like a modern Zubr class LCAC as non-static ships. Doubt that we will see fully simulated + working aircraft carrier or larger ships in A3 from BIS.

No problem. BIS gives us the engine. WE do the addons!!!

If BIS solves the GEO limitations and the PHYSX, the modders will make the Aircraft carriers, LHDs, LPDs etc....

No problem. BIS gives us the engine. WE do the addons!!!

If BIS solves the GEO limitations and the PHYSX, the modders will make the Aircraft carriers, LHDs, LPDs etc....

That sounds awesome Kyle, glad your working on this stuff!!

Hopefully this stuff is a priority for BI rather than hands moving with steering wheels and get in get out animations for example....:D

Edited by CPL_HICKS
fix

Just putting in the capability to do it should be important, including working units, not so much as the community will fill the gaps hopefully.

Hopefully this stuff is a priority for BI rather than hands moving with steering wheels

Nothing is more important than hands moving with the steering wheels. Nothing

:cool:

Dan;2072265']Just putting in the capability to do it should be important' date=' including working units, not so much as the community will fill the gaps hopefully.[/quote']

Yea thats what I mean, I dont care if the game comes with it, I just hope that modders will be given the capability and freedom to experiment with larger vehicles just as they can with smaller ones as is possible currently.

:D

You're probably right, but I think you nailed it when you said "from BIS". I think with A3 the "ability" will be there, they just may not do it for us.

Being able to actually pilot massive ships was one of the things that made Battlefield 1942 stand out to me when I first played the demo. ArmA is much more of the simulation that I thought I was getting back then, but I can understand if it's a technological hurdle here. I know that Battlefield's engine had a hard time handling it. Ugh, the rubber-banding! XP