Sign in to follow this  
cpl_hicks

Will large ships be able to move?

Well call me greedy what I ultimately want to see some kind of Galactica like or user designed star ship hovering over an island and being able to land and takeoff from it and pilot it.........:D

Ask not what the ship can do for you...... But what you can do for the ship?

Whilst I do not hope for the very large ships (super carriers, destroyers, frigates, cruisers) to be drivable, which would not be realistic AFAIK, because these ships operate over the horizon IRL and would never come close to shores due to land based threats. What I hope for is smaller ships, which are yet capable of transporting troops and equipment. Namely the LCAC, LST, LSI, etc. So in short, ships which operate closer to shores and are designed support ongoing (mostly amphibious) operations from the sea.

This is true however there are certain things we do in this simulator that are not realistic but we love having the option to do anyways such as being a pilot getting shot down and continuing the fight on foot or stealing a tank which would pretty much never happen in real life but its fun in a sim......

Add PhysX to the mix and you should be able to walk around on said ship, right?

I think thats a whole seperate matter, I dont think walking on moving vehicles we be allowed in arma 3.

I think that's a whole separate matter

Not really. It's already been said that PhysX will allow for vehicle transporters etc. to work as they should. If they were right when they said that, then theoretically the same would apply to characters. You wouldn't fall out of the back of a truck if you were standing inside it, you might (hopefully) be able to walk around inside helicopters, and you should be able to walk on a moving ship without your feet locking up and you sliding (while standing up) off the deck, at least if I understand it correctly.

*Edit*

Apparently I misinterpreted it. Being able to walk inside vehicles is a separate issue. Walking on an object like a ship may or may not be. Will edit shortly.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

This is true however there are certain things we do in this simulator that are not realistic but we love having the option to do anyways such as being a pilot getting shot down and continuing the fight on foot or stealing a tank which would pretty much never happen in real life but its fun in a sim......

I agree that driving around a Nimitz class super carrier would be a very nice option but it is simply not feasible. I am not saying that I do not want that feature but we oughta keep it real, if ya know what I mean.

Smaller ships can do the job just as good and their are still able to satisfy all of us bathtub captains.

As for the pilot stealing a tank, well it's:

a) a very poorly made mission you got there, if you are able to do that

<sarcasm>

b) a very skilled pilot. I mean being able to pilot a plane, jump out of it, steal a tank from the AI or real players and then using it all by himself... so real

</sarcasm>

Edited by TheBlessedPig

isn't ArmA 3 going to be based around a single island? Where are you going to go in that mighty carrier? What would be the point? i'd rather BIS stayed in scope and focused on small boats and the infantry diving mechanics necessary to begin implementing some interesting shoreline operations.

Don' worry. The community will ensure that we have big assed moving ships.

Don' worry. The community will ensure that we have big assed moving ships.

I am sure the community would make some interesting uses out of it, I just hope that engine gives them the option or ability to do this. As of yet this has not really been available before......

As for the pilot stealing a tank, well it's:

a) a very poorly made mission you got there, if you are able to do that

<sarcasm>

b) a very skilled pilot. I mean being able to pilot a plane, jump out of it, steal a tank from the AI or real players and then using it all by himself... so real

</sarcasm>

Most armored vehicles these days are so clearly labelled a teenager can drive one after studying the controls for a minute or two man.

:D

Most armored vehicles these days are so clearly labelled a teenager can drive one after studying the controls for a minute or two man.

:D

Cool, where can I get one?

Whilst I do not hope for the very large ships (super carriers, destroyers, frigates, cruisers) to be drivable, which would not be realistic AFAIK, because these ships operate over the horizon IRL and would never come close to shores due to land based threats.

I hope there will be drivable super carriers etc. because the community can make a sea only map and then youll get a whole new experience ^^

We dont need them included... But we want the ability so that mod makers can do it.... 3 games so far and still no moving on ships wich is a shame... There's just some limits that would be nice to sort out...

do you guys remember the project to, for arma 1 or 2 (cant remember now),

implement fully usable ships and submarines? never heard about it again, i saw just a couple of spotlights on armaholic. a couple of years ago :(

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=5385&d=0

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4648

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Hi all

One can cheat by using the attach command. You just create a wheel house addon object that is a version of a ship class. Then attach the static ship parts to it.

Kind Regards walker

One can cheat by using the attach command. You just create a wheel house addon object that is a version of a ship class. Then attach the static ship parts to it.

Its not bad but still not quite the same...

AFAIK there are some serious limitations with this method.

Yes, there are

But it is the best we can achieve with Arma 2 engine

I'm pretty sure that when Arma 3 comes there will be people that will use the existing Astute model as a basis for a movable submarine.

And as previous engine models can be imported to Arma 3 the LHD and ANZAC frigate will have a new life in the new engine.

And, in stealth mode, at a slow but sure pace, projetto flotta is steaming to completion.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=116845&highlight=flotta

I would pay to see those models in Arma 3 with a movable, landable Comte di Cavour STOVL aircraft carrier

do you guys remember the project to, for arma 1 or 2 (cant remember now),

implement fully usable ships and submarines? never heard about it again, i saw just a couple of spotlights on armaholic. a couple of years ago :(

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=5385&d=0

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4648

No point in this if Arma3 maintains no large moving ships :(

Large ships are doable, you just can't walk around on them...

They are very doable. Check ANZAC & others for examples.

I'd really like to see large, movable ships. While Nimitz carriers do operate beyond the horizon for most of the time, you could do a mission where you can see large ships leaving or entering port, or a sea battle with Nimitz battlegroup maneuvering, for instance in an island cluster.

Large ships are doable, you just can't walk around on them...

They are very doable. Check ANZAC & others for examples.

I agree. With the right mix of clever configs, good scripts and some modelling tricks you can do a very functional large ship.

The only thing that we cannot do in Arma 2 is walking on moving vehicles.It can be done in VBS2 with the physx versions of some vehicles, but not in Arma 2.

In Arma 3? We will see