Sign in to follow this  
randomdude

4000 map size to 8000

Hello

The current limit is 4096 for map size, would it be possible for BIS to scale this up to 8000. I have this program that can create ultra realistic maps and it has the option of 8000+. I would like to create a map with 0.5m height data, but it seems impossible currently.

Best i have gotten is 4kmx4km map with 1m resolution. It looks pretty nice, but there are possibilities to go further. Surely, you would need a nasa computer to run these things, but we must remember that there are some users that might have a very powerful pc. Why not give us the option to create incredible maps?

I might be misinformed about the subject, but this is just a suggestion. Anyone else have any opinions about this?

how are u suppose to get a satalite image of that quality in.

u might be able to download such huge images, i once made a 8gb image but its hard to save it as .png.

.png can only be saved up to 2gb at most or u have a 1000 gb harddrive u might be able to convert it to that size but again your hardware cant handle so much resource.

I recommend you to watch for those tiny projects with micro maps and then get your own conclusions... I am running on six cores 1 GB NvGPU DDR5 and believe me... those are pretty heavy stuff...

On the other hand, why do you need such resolution? I already enjoy the most these 4x4m grid maps with 10 m DEMs... IMO it's enough... remember that these vertices are stored in a matrix format (x,y,z), so the computer already has to do a lot of calcs related to the net display... in fact, with a >1m resolution most of the time we would be talking about objects placement since all those calcs I mentioned would become useless... anyway, it could be a different approach to map making... but any math-molded-brain guy would conclude that it isn't efficient, I mean, to display a wide net of points it would become useless when working with certain amount of data... precisely when calcs come between centimeters, even milimeters, microns... for a 3d map? no joking, but it sounds like a joke... saludeins! ;)

EDIT: Indeed it would probably help when researching misteries of quantum mechanics...

Edited by Robster

this software is called ?

It's not yet released, i got a copy of it from a friend. (Aramis)

terragen?

No

how are u suppose to get a satalite image of that quality in.

u might be able to download such huge images, i once made a 8gb image but its hard to save it as .png.

.png can only be saved up to 2gb at most or u have a 1000 gb harddrive u might be able to convert it to that size but again your hardware cant handle so much resource.

Satellite images aint the problem, you can easily make exteremely detailed and good satellite maps, best approach is to download 20res map from google and then heavily modify it in ps. With good machine is doable.

I recommend you to watch for those tiny projects with micro maps and then get your own conclusions... I am running on six cores 1 GB NvGPU DDR5 and believe me... those are pretty heavy stuff...

On the other hand, why do you need such resolution? I already enjoy the most these 4x4m grid maps with 10 m DEMs... IMO it's enough... remember that these vertices are stored in a matrix format (x,y,z), so the computer already has to do a lot of calcs related to the net display... in fact, with a >1m resolution most of the time we would be talking about objects placement since all those calcs I mentioned would become useless... anyway, it could be a different approach to map making... but any math-molded-brain guy would conclude that it isn't efficient, I mean, to display a wide net of points it would become useless when working with certain amount of data... precisely when calcs come between centimeters, even milimeters, microns... for a 3d map? no joking, but it sounds like a joke... saludeins! ;)

EDIT: Indeed it would probably help when researching misteries of quantum mechanics...

Compareing 10m map vs 1m is like night and day. If you throw in realistic and varied terrain the difference is HUGE! I have done lot of testing and i have no performance issues with sandy bridge i5 2500k OC:d with maximum detail arma 2 can produce and max map size it can handle (not sure about your build or the maps you have tested). Sure, slow machines wount handle this at all, but i'm not creating this for slow machines.

My conclusion is that with 1m dem data, arma maps look incredible, absolutely incredible. I will make some screenshots later on from my projects and you will see just how big the difference is.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Also, i think those micro terrains are 5m res, not sure tho.

ok random you can just post some pictures:)

@Random...

yeah. yeah... i play with 10000m view distance and all video settings on highest available settings... I like to push hw and still may play nicely...

I will take a piece of Andes Mountains (my everyday landscape) and reduce them to backyard size, just to see how that 1 m dem could look like... maybe download some 1m dem from some usa sites... just to try... and we -ARMA2LA.COM- usually play on 4x4m multiplayer with no issues at all (and not everyone has an updated machine), so when i say micro map i mean precisely 1x1m grid size... look for some Deanos Beanos attempts on that size... you'll see trenches, fox holes and stuff like that...

... and some pics coming from you would help me to realize the difference between "night and day" hahahaha

Saludines papucho!

EDIT: Reducing the Great Canyon, instead Andes, would be great for a nasty trenches firefight ;)

Edited by Robster

Interesting conversation guys!

Yeah - my little "microterrains" series - if that's what you were referring to - were all 5m cell... I called them "micro" since 5x5km terrains are pretty small, and 5m cell size seemed pretty daring at the time...

1m terrains though! - they're nanoterrains :D

I've seen a couple of DeanosBeanos experiment vids too - pretty impressive... It's certainly possible to use such sizes... Visitors inbuilt 4096x4096 maximum overall mesh size means as you reduce the cell size you're being reduced in overall area to "compensate", so such terrains should at least work in-game.

Prowler.wolf has successfully managed a 2m terrain - working as a full-scale release... he kept the overall size small though, and that certainly helps make it a superbly playable terrain.

I vaguely remember Icebreakr saying something about AI and Roads on small cell-terrains... I haven't actually tried a roadnet and some driving AI on my 5m cell terrains yet... must give that a try sometime...

It's easy enough to make small cellsize heightmaps... reducing largescale realworld DEMs will work, though remember to scale heights or it'll look a bit... strange... If you're building from scratch of course, you're starting with smaller scales in mind anyway...

If anyone wants to experiment a little, here's a readymade (vaguely Afghan-looking) heightmap...

BushTest - 4096x1m...

Here's a quick screengrab...

4096x1m_pic.jpg

... you'll need to make up your own "dummy" sat & mask if you want to fool around with it in Visitor...

As the name suggests, it's 4096x4096 - 1m res...

Have fun

B

Edited by Bushlurker