Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

[ADO] Tigeria : Island, Units & Vehicles

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for a really cool island. I am trying to set up some simple missions on it, but am not done scouting for good locations. That place has so many nice spots.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the download links in the first mail gave me a CRC error in 7-zip, the Armaholic download did not.

Cheers,

OP

@Icebreakr : I hope there is no harm done ... .

When the project started, at Rellikki request, well a long time ago, it was said that the island will be in the South America area, so Spanish names use was compulsory.

The town in the very heart of the island was obviously called Corazon.

The place with the grass runway in the forest has been called "Northern grass runway" for a while, then "Piste" in French ... and that was a long time before I decided to add "La Coquille" island, Pista name was added in the last 5 or 6 last versions .

Naming places on a map is a very curious process, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not so easy, so I will not claim that playing Lingor with various French teams hasn't have any influence, but it was not done in purpose.

@Nikoforos : here is a screen taken during a fierce C&H in the North West Forests near Rio Blanco ...

Tigeria_jungle-rain_m1s.jpg

Rio Blanco ? Damn ! It seems that I have lost all "Marine" names on the map during the keypoint definition process, too bad ... new version upcoming soon !

Nice work there Old Bear! Is anyone out there planning or already in work on a BE warfare port? If not, I will start work on a 2.070 version when released. It will be slow for me due to illness and the new units will not be included (sorry) but would be nice to see some warfare for this island. Any takers? At any rate, some good stuff man!

Hey no prob Old Bear, like I've said to you on Skype :)

p.s. I took a route on a mudroad below a bridge and got stuck in the water with pickup ;) damn tides heh.

... but let's remember Tigeria is a .... well what short sighted leftist called a "banana republic", so if you aren't thinking that the brother President is always right, you have have to be reduce to bones and ashes ... by a Commando de Fuerzas Especiales under Presidente command a "death squadron" coming from nowhere ...

Well, you hit the nail on the head. I live very near the Eastern coast of Guatemala and when I saw your first screenshots I said to myself 'damn... that could be where I live'. I told my teammates the same, offering RL pictures in/around the area that aside from the density of vegetation could have been made in game (or vice versa?)

Great work!

@Icebreaker : I have been stuck myself in the same ford as I was making pics for the JDSF Mod :(

In fact, previously I had put large beton slabs in order to have a kind of underwater road, and it was possible to get across without killing your 4x4 vehicle, but more than one time during the test, a car get stuck on this beton piece, so I had erased them ... but I forgot to tweak the water level afterward. ATM it's only fordable at low tide, I think I will modified the underwater track level in order not to drowned all the AI in game.

@Gutm@sher : as you can see, some features we had discussed a lot when building Vostok have been built on this island. Thanks mate !

@Westsailor : Thanks for the kind words ...

As I have said in the read-me : "Clutters size and number have been reduced on purpose for the sake of playability, so don't be surprised to find so short grass and ferns on a tropical island."

I am sorry about that, but what matters is that the map is playable ...

Edited by Old Bear

@Westsailor : Thanks for the kind words ...

As I have said in the read-me : "Clutters size and number have been reduced on purpose for the sake of playability, so don't be surprised to find so short grass and ferns on a tropical island."

I am sorry about that, but what matters is that the map is playable ...

Of course... it is completely understandable so no apologies necessary.

Besides, had you made the vegetation as dense as in RL here not only would it tank the frame rate but you wouldn't even be able walk thru it in most places. 90-95% of the island would simply be impassable :)

awesome work Bear...

I've made an Evolution mission for this

to make an easy port I just put the duala version into the island

this version needs a lot of the best mods running - typhoon, duala full, RH weapons, etc

I will make one with your units soon

meanwhile - it's a good way to explore the islands many features and interesting terrain and waterways etc

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2024022

flying the typhoon over it hutning enemy convoys is great fun

good job mate

Old bear, great island mate, I like the atmosphere and the towns.

Is there a way to get ambient civ's module working on it?

@all : thanks, nice to know you enjoy the map <:D

@eggbeast :thanks for building an Evo. I will be quite glad if you build up an Evo using the "Armée Tigérianne" units !

@sv5000 : I will have a look at Civilian module.

At the moment, I am building up an updated version, intermediate versions are tested among my game team : Clan ADO.

I have tweaked some objects placement, added again the "Marine" names missing on the public release, changed the depth of the ford near broken bridge.

Having some problems while testing JSDF seaplanes on Bassas da Tigeria, I have change slope and length of the incline.

My main concern ATM is AI having weird behavior with bridges ... they do not hesitate to cross but stop dead at the other end of the bridge.

I am going to add a ford crossing near all bridges ...

In the same time, on team mate request, I have built a private [ADO] Tigeria Special Edition with "normal" clutters height and density. As I already know, I got around 10 FPS loss, ... and +10° Celsius on my 6970. If you are interested in such less playable version I will release it publicly.

Hello,

first let me Thank you for that gread Addon set!

And is it possible to get the map grid system to 8?

It is hard to work correct with an 6 grid system, in due to DAGR and GPS.

Would be great if you can get it in there!

greetings Donny

the strikers jump onto their ass every time at tigeria north west bridge - but otherwise its working fantastic - this is more of a bug with the stock striker though methinks

@sv5000 : I will have a look at Civilian module.

My main concern ATM is AI having weird behavior with bridges ... they do not hesitate to cross but stop dead at the other end of the bridge.

I am going to add a ford crossing near all bridges ...

you did notice that some of the bridges are not lined up properly ? and most cars stop dead on that ?

i like the island alot (large enough for some fights, nice jungle theme, nice for insurgency / couinter insurgency missions :) )

if only the map was a bit clearer so you can realy see the runway on the map instead of a dark grey spot (etc) it would help setting up template bases etc.

Must say...I absolutely love the terrain.

Yesterday I found a patch of land that was below sea level. I know this because I have a script that spawns a Zodiac if the player ends up deep enough in water.

Well I was walking along and "poof".... there was my Zodiac!!...I could also hear the sound of waves!

Cannot find the spot again easily...I've been trying. When I do I will update the post with the location.

It might be intentional that some land locked areas are below sea level....If it is disregard the post. I can adjust my script.

More:-

If this has been mentioned already I apologies for not reading the whole thread.... but I found this "over road cables (vee)" just hanging in the sky. Zero gravity! It's over the back wall of those buildings South West of Laguna. The pix should help.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/b65a771a5c7a905b59a53ca03ab57a8d56209ee7cd30c6fbd47bb96640aa58b76g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/8fd0c2b073ce875036fca9399de1e1b6c85efbf02818699a40da2a6be3cbc8e16g.jpg

Edited by twirly

[ADO] Tigeria v0.96 beta island released :

v0.94 - 0.95 Clan ADO test versions.

v0.96 Changelog :

- Changed ford depth near broken bridge.

- Added fords nearby all bridges.

- Added paths.

- Added poppy fields

- Corrected placement for objects,rocks, bushes and trees.

- Added marine and river names missing in 1st released version.

DOWNLOAD - Tigeria v0.96 beta

@twirly : - some "flying" objects have been cleared from the map, such as the one you show ...thanks.

- to get rivers in Arma 2 you have only 2 ways. Those two have been used on Tigeria :

1° Dig the terrain so the level will be under sea level, so all depressed places are filled with "sea" water. That way is used on most of the so called rivers on Tigeria. A wrong side effect is that those "rivers" are subjected to tides up to their sources ... so you must be careful when you ford a vehicle at certain hours ... and don't try to cross a ford with civilian vehicle, that due to a compromise between rivers beeing navigable nearly up to their springs.

But when I have made the terrain in Visitor3, some parts were not dug enough... so there were parts separate from the river main body, populated by river vegetation but sometimes with water, sometimes dry with water holes. In this last 0.96 version I had tried to correct this a bit.

2° use "pond" object to feature some river in height parts some rocks or dams hiding the height difference between each parts, you can have a look at such way, on the East of Hope Ruins.

@Donny : I have been convinced by my fellow map-makers to use the somewhat standard 6 figures grid for my map and I have complied for it help people playing vanilla Arma 2 game.

Before this my own way was to build an exact geo location system so you can get the real location of the places on the in-game map, I have achieved this work for a Brik map version -not publickly release- ... as you know Brikby is 55°40'14.31"N and 8°11'6.13"E ... it was a lot of works but I was looking for realism ...

I assume that the ACE feature you are speaking of is useful, and perhaps a needed item for high precision intelligent weaponry but unless it became a standard vanilla piece of equipment, I will not change the map .cfg, so the coordinates can be easily readable on the standard GPS.

@eggbeast : You are quite right about those vehicle jumps. There is a combination of 2 factors, Stryker vehicle instability and issues due to the object (bridge)/terrain junction ... nothing I can really tweak, I will only suggest to cross bridges at low speed ... I will add some sign on next release ;)

@supergruntsb78 : I have made an attempt to get a better bridge placement on this version ... and because I have exhausted options when it comes to bridge crossing by AI, I have added nearby ford ...

Edited by Old Bear

Very nice suprise thank you Old Bear :)

I noticed that the size of this latest beta is 102 mb and the previous was almost 170. How did you manage to resize the island and to save so many mb ?

@Nikiforos : whoops ... I believe the size is around 100 MB, but if you add the needed Ibr plant addon and Berghoff's African foliage it sums up to more than 250 MB, but of course, you have them already on you addons if you play Duala

I you get the whole Tigeria pack, I mean "Armée Tigérianne" units and vehicles, you must add 31 MB and 25 MB, so without the needed addon the Tigeria pack sums up to around 170 MB :cool:

So there is no magical way to downsize a large map/terrain featuring a lot of items ... and I will add that Tigeria Special Edition -not publicly released- featuring more clutters and an enhanced _Sat, size is 130 MB.

Edited by Old Bear

Lol then I did something stupid , deleted the old map with Armee Tigerianne inside :(

Oh well downloading again :) thank you for your time Old Bear.

Just made a couple of missions for ‘Tigeria’, I have to say its very well optimised if that is the word, it runs better than ever with higher fps, but seems to have more vegetation, tree’s etc..

River/streams are really great..

Really great island..

Thanks again..

As I have previously said and because I have been asked to, today, I will present Tigeria Special edition v0.96.

This version has been built at my team mate [ADO] Drooper request. It features "normal" clutters size and density and high density tropical forest.

From my point of view this map is more or less unplayable, it comes with clutter values and forest density I was using in very early alpha versions.

I have lowered all those values for the sake of playability.

Two major issues are to be found here

- you will be killed by unseen AI hidden in high grass/fern/tropical forest cover (in the forest you are moving with vegetation up to your chest ...)

- unless you are having a powerfull PC with topnotch CPU and GPU, you will get a FPS so low you will play in slow motion ...

By playing this map, you accept to have a f*** off FPS and to be killed by cheating AIs.

I take no responsibility for possible damage to your game/system, to your mood, your health condition and your social life without speaking about what we can speak about here ….

Download: Tigeria Special Edition v0.96 beta

Berghoff's African Foliage and Icebreakr's Ibr_plants addons still needed

On a more serious mood ^^, I am working on Tigeria next version :

- Flattening some hill crests in order to make Gutmasher's ports of Benny Warfare more easy.

- Tweaking some objects and buildings placements

- Adding some suburbs to Tigeria town.

- Adding more military building in order to get a real airbase in Aeroporto

- Modifying electric grid in order to get a more realistic one and what will be need to use Loyalgard's AEG on the map.

After having released this more "standard" version, I will released a Special edition with special vegetation features a bit more playable so [ADO]Drooper, my team mate will be able to play again his "The Unsung" missions.

Edited by Old Bear