Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Full Moon | Bright Nights

I'm trying to make a mission at night during a full moon so the night is bright. I've tried looking up the moon calendars online and adjusting my mission to the exact time of a full moon, but the night is almost pitch-black. I remember OFP had realistic, true to life astronomical cycles. It appears either ArmA 2 does not or I'm just doing something wrong.

On a related note why can we even select the different years, months, and days? I'd think the only thing which matters is the time of day.

arma 2 has realistic day\night cycles aswell, just keep changing the day till' you find one you like

On a related note why can we even select the different years, months, and days? I'd think the only thing which matters is the time of day.

:confused:

arma 2 has realistic day\night cycles aswell, just keep changing the day till' you find one you like

From what I've seen so far I've concluded this is not the case. I even looked up the moon cycles at the naval observatory. When I plug that data into the game I get something way different than what is happening in the real world. Ah well. I guess I'll have to keep wasting my time adjusting my time, pressing "preview", selecting my difficulty, pressing continue on the map screen, waiting for it to load, then finally change it again. :(

Vostok Winter, the Southeastern Island of Zadrovie (I think that’s what its called), Looking across the harbour towards the town, just after midnight Sat Feb 6th beautiful clear moonlit night with just a whisper of small soft clouds, absolutely stunning.

A clear night operation is great if there is that scattering of light cloud to afford you better cover from time to time..

I stick to the end of the month or beginning; 27th through to the 6th or 7th most months.

Weather settings ‘present’ 10 clicks short of fully clear turning to fully clear for ‘forecasted’ weather..

Even feels cold...

Arma2 even has star clusters, tidal changes etc, all are plan-able into your missions..(well the star clusters might not be:rolleyes:)

There are moon cycles in the game. Not completely in line with reality but there are. Keep playing with months, days as ArmAriffic suggested.

I certainly was getting both pitchblack and bright (if you can call that bright but I could distinguish between grass and bushes still) nights with a date tweaking.

The moon's position in the sky depends on the hour as well. It's possible that the moon has already set or has yet to rise at a given moment. You don't need a calendar, you just need to change date and time settings until you get a moonlit night.

Also, a night with some cloud cover will be brighter in arma than a clear sky... and surfaces with a higher albedo (like concrete) will appear brighter, but forests and such wills till appear dark.

What part of the world are you setting your time to? The time you set would have to correspond to the location the island is set in for the correct moon cycle...or at least that is what I have heard. If all else fails check the modules in the editor I think there may be something there to simulate sky colors.

If there is no moon, try advancing time with about 14 days. You know, half a month :) The moon cycles are there, but not matching real world dates. Are they accurate enough so that all that would be needed would be a day offset?