Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tabs1000

Dead Trees should be obstacles

Guest Tabs1000

Dead trees and shot down objects (bins, walls), should remain to be solid

obstacles instead of activating a ghosting mode which allows the player

to pass through.

while nice in theory, i can foresee AI pathfinding well broke if this was the case

That is unless there is a way to define the object to the AI as an obstacle that is low enough to use the climb over function and if certain vehicles such as say tanks could go over (But not wheels vehicles)

or if the AI in A3 would use the upcoming VBS pathfinding...which i think is able to take into account changes of environments on the fly (might be wrong though)

Cool idea, if you knock down a tree with explosives as of now, they just roll straight through the tree.

currently dead trees arent even view blocks when i remember correctly.

this must be fixed.

it will create lot of problems for AI pathing,

especially if you have lot of AI and lot of trees falling around them

yet i agree something done would be nice

for the AI one of solutions could be they can climb over/ crawl under the fallen trees

falling tress should cause damage (wounds, light vehicles)

Dwarden: not to mention buildings collapsing when tree falls on them.

First you need to teach AI to crawl into a hole under the fence, not walk through the fence, Dwarden.

We are waiting for 2 years now.

Dwarden: not to mention buildings collapsing when tree falls on them.

i would avoid that, most buildings would survive it...

unless you want ultra detailed damage model which means tons of details/work ...

Agree fallen trees should be an obstacle for AIs view (blocked LOS) and path. Maybe it would help if AI can crush and move bigger trees with certain vehicles eg tracked (armored) vehicles? Don't forget to make a better cracking and splitter sound for trees/wooden stuff! :)

I can understand the pathfinding issue. But for the AI to be able to view through the fallen trees... This really needs a fix. We should be able to use them as hard cover also.

AFAIK the viewblock lod is falling with tree, so it should already block AI view in OA

First the trees have to fall in a dynamic direction, otherwise a tank that topples over a tree may get damaged just because the tree was set to fall its way.

Not to mention that damage should depend on mass/size of the object.

AFAIK the viewblock lod is falling with tree, so it should already block AI view in OA

Hmm... I remember it being an issue in ArmA 2. Did it get fixed in OA? I don't see many trees on Takistan :p

I'd like for them to be more like dynamic objects that AI and friendlies can't just walk through, but as long as AI can't simply see through them I'll be satisfied.

Is there a write-up somewhere on the relationship between BIS and the VBS team(BIA?) so us ArmA players can get an idea of the kinds of stuff BIS is allowed to use from VBS and what it's not allowed to use, and maybe why? I think a lot of ArmA players have played VBS Lite and are curious why there's not more VBS features in ArmA.

A2 had some objects with bad fire geometry, in that you would hit something invisible when you could see it. Many of the WF objects was like this, and some of the trees (when upright). In A1 fallen trees had no fire geometry. For OA I may be mistaken this bug for something else that could have been going on (like vehicle 360° vision or whatever).

Trees do have AI viewblock when fallen, but they don't have collision geometry, I don't know about fire geometry.

I don't know what the issue is with collision geometry & AI pathfinding, how is it more difficult than if there were a wreck on the road?

Sorry, I meant viewblock wrt AI, although the WF objects and still standing trees were fire geometry related.

Sorry, I meant viewblock wrt AI, although the WF objects and still standing trees were fire geometry related.

I also meant viewblock wrt AI :)

First you need to teach AI to crawl into a hole under the fence, not walk through the fence, Dwarden.

We are waiting for 2 years now.

LOL but true :p

It seems not. Here a repro.