Sign in to follow this  
darkxess

L3DT & Visitor3

Ok, ive a slight problem. What im doing is trying to import my work into L3DT from Visitor3, now this part is ok as ive managed to import it, but...

working on a blank hightfield in L3DT which is a greyish white is difficult! my map is BIG and has rivers, But* I CANT SEE THE RIVERS :(

I am trying to ALSO import my background for my map so that I can see where my rivers are then work on it like that, But I cant...

L3DT isnt letting me import anything else but the Hightfield. How can I get around this? The land is there, the mountains are there, and land where the rivers are ..

just flat! and like I said the map is big, so ive no idea where the rivers are to work on them in L3DT without a guideline or the background image so that I can use it.

Any ideas on how to get around this or get it to work?

Thanks

but you when you import heightfield the map in 3d on L3DT it is flat???

No! everything is fine... I just cant see my map image im working from...

The image:

piccy2.jpg

The map:

piccy.jpg

You see, I cant see what im working with in the 3d window :(

You see the 2nd pic? it is just greyish white! I need the texture background so that I can see

where im working on the river ways! but cause its white with no markings etc... I cant do it! im

wondering if there is a way.

In L3DT...

File / Import / New Map Layer... select your background image...

Another window will pop up...

l3dt_import.png

With these 3 lines you can...

re-select the file you want to use

give it a name

select the type of file you're intending the import to be... in your case a simple RGB custom map layer...

Once it's loaded you can use it as a texture overlay in the 3D view...

NB - I've had "graphics glitches" appear a lot in the 3D view if I try to use a background file bigger than about 8192x8192 - so maybe Reduce your image to that size before importing... it'll look a little chunkier/cruder, but all the features will still be in the right places and it's usually good enough for carving rivers, etc...

PS... see the L3DT pic above? - see the blue "on-line help" link? They're everywhere in L3DT! - almost every option or menu or little control window has one - clicking them takes you to a decent explanation of that particular item... I've started to understand a lot more about L3DT recently by following those links...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

lol man I really do love you! haha... Its working great now, thanks! I did actually think of that and try it, but with a .bmp file instead of .png so obviously it doesnt support png!

Thanks again mate. :)

The L3DT .png import/export routines suffer from a filesize limit...

.bmp is unaffected by that, so it's often a better choice...

Importing 8192x8192's are usually OK, but big export files - like a Texture Layer of 20480x20480 will fail if you try to export as .png - whereas they'll export fine as .bmp...

Just another one of L3DT's many little oddities...

Glad you got it working!... The more I use L3DT the more impressed I become with it... takes a bit of reading though... They have their own Forum... worth going there for a random read anytime you have a spare hour...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

eheheh nice dark, you are genius :) :) :) thumps up

Dark How did you import the map. Png and then to see it in 3D?

Edited by kimmo