Sign in to follow this  
killercam

Will arma 3 have a demo and when will it be released

im not saying this to be annoying i just REALY want to play 3 :bounce3::638:NOTHING CAN STOP ME

demo - most likely AFTER release (if at all)

release - summer 2012

Is it a good idea? Messing around with the demo until my (excessively late, as always with me) order finally arrived, I was immensely put off by the fact that it was:

1) Very buggy and bad frame rates even for the little space it had.

2) Crashed way too frequently (game or system issues doesn't matter).

3) Couldn't even save what I toyed with, made worse by the constant crashing.

4) Was never patched, afaik.

So I sat there with a feeling of "oh dear, what will the new guys think about this". When trying a demo, I think it's important that you are left with a positive feeling. And I guess it doesn't make itself, and take some effort to prepare.

the only demo i would vote for would be ARMA 3 Free route ... the usual demos are waste of resources ...

the only demo i would vote for would be ARMA 3 Free route ... the usual demos are waste of resources ...

So there will be a ArmA3 free-to-play with utter low res texture and LD sound systems, low VD, without mod support and campaign?:rolleyes:

I would be happy with the demo you used at gamescom? :)

... the usual demos are waste of resources ...

I have to disagree with that.

A demo is there to give prospective players a glimpse of the quality of your product. To me, concerning Arma3, that means full hi res graphics and sounds, one or two basic MP missions (I'd say one coop and one PvP), some of the tutorials and some SP content that hints at the campaign quality (perhaps something using the main character, but not an actual mission from the campaign).

You could put in a simplified editor aswell, but I'm not even sure that's necessary. People who want to create and play custom missions should buy the game.

The goal is to give people a feel for Arma3, meaning the visual and audio quality, the controls, the atmosphere and the actual gameplay.

Well I have to agree with MadDogX, you got a new buyer after I tried the Arma 2 Demo, so, I don't think it's just a waste of resources at all.

_neo_

i fully agree with maddogx.

Nowadays its sadly a fact that video games get reduced to their graphics quality. Taking this substantial element out of arma 3 would make it much less attractive for the possible users that are trying to get adressed by it. So it is very important to transport this very high standart of content to the user.

The Operation Arrowhead demo version was doing it very good: The demo should contain the tutorials (!), a limited space of the island, some SP and MP scenarios and a small amount of vehicles and units the player can try in all its glory. No blurry textures just a pure taste of arma 3

$00.02

Ah, you just want to be the first one playing this game, thats all :) Be patient and let them put all theire attention to the full game, so we don`t need to wait for patches for months to make this game a bit more playable (Sry, but you know what I mean).

And at least is bohemia just so nice asking it`s users and fans of what they want included in this game. So for that nice thing, I would say, take all you time and make the next sommer to the best ever mates ;) And yes, don`t waste resources or energy for a demo. We dont need to play a demo of arma3 just to know that this one will be the next top military sim.

Jarhead

I'm for a demo too, but I personally don't have anything against a demo after A3's release. Therefore I agree with you: BI should concentrate on the main game now.

I'm only thinking that a demo (with high quality content, as said by others in this thread) will give BI more people interested in the game and thus more customers.

An Arma 3: Free would be good to, but I think that a demo with high quality content is irreplaceable.

But of course it's up to them to decide.

Edited by Undeceived

Although demo's are a good thing with other games I doubt its good with the Arma series.

If my memory serves me right all demo's actually did not do any of the game justice at all and probably are scaring of people more than inviting them due to bugs and problems?

So, in BIS'/Arma's case to make a good and worthy demo it might actually be a waist of resources indeed and much better to work on a free version instead? That at least is dressed down in a way where it does not conflict with the game, only with the users "eyes and hearing for detail"?

But..........thats just my opinion. :)

I never played the demo, I only answered dozens of topics about it with the same reply hoping to convince those users to buy the full game instead and just believe me it was much better :)

PC Gamer review way back when OFP was released was all I needed to buy it.... ArmA isnt like other games that you can figure 'em out with a demo...

Well, here is my testimony... A friend of my brother brought over a magazine showcasing the original OFP... Might have been PC gamer or something and I was not impressed by the article or its photographs of the game. But I found a demo released for OFP and it was very interesting. What appealed to me was the demo mission I played and the atmosphere and it seemed to reflect actual military operations to a certain extent.

I liked that the Sgt was driving the jeep to the crossroads and then we met up with more members of our squad and that made it seem kinda realistic to me since we had to regroup and ready our forces for the attack.

Then we switched drivers of the jeep and I drove over to where there was a 5 Ton truck and some more of our troops. So, we get out and the Sgt drives the jeep back as we board the 5 Ton truck. Then we ride the truck over towards the outskirts of a town and hop out and start to advance on foot at small village above the main town.

As we approach the small village on foot after coming over an incline you can start to see a UAZ and some foot troops so we engage them and then all hell breaks loose as a BMP 2 comes up the road and starts to cut our forces up while droping off more foot troops. Well an AT soldier sometimes takes him out and then we assault the main town

then board a blackhawk for extract and it gets shot down and thats it.

Well anyways, after playing that I bought the game... If it wasn't for the demo and the experience I had from it... The combat and pre combat environment, and the ability to use vehicles and get your ass kicked every now and then I wouldn't have bought the game. And every now and then that BMP 2 would cut up the US assault pretty good, which is exactly what should happen with that type of senario

Demos are good but in Arma's case they really should be made to be patchable.

Buggy demo's do more harm then good when it comes to trying to sell to people who

aren't aware of Bohemia's dedication to fixing problems.

Arma 3 Free would bring it's own problems just like Arma 2 free has. Idiots who just download the game to cause shit which is plaguing vanilla Arma right now.

Arma 3 just needs alot of good press, great reviews from established media sites.

And a collaberation with community machinama makers for adverstising campaign.

The demo wouldnt be needed for a couple months after release.

Again I think BI are going for the Free-to-play route, which if done right will be even better then a normal demo.

If it goes the free route I foresee a lot of locked down servers.

Arma 2 vanilla is barely playable nowadays on public servers because of a minority of free tards.

Demos are good but in Arma's case they really should be made to be patchable.

Damn right.

Its this or dont really bother with it. I have never seen people really advising "go get the demo" most say "Try the demo, but its not a good example as its been patched and fixed far more since".

I have to disagree with that.

A demo is there to give prospective players a glimpse of the quality of your product. To me, concerning Arma3, that means full hi res graphics and sounds, one or two basic MP missions (I'd say one coop and one PvP), some of the tutorials and some SP content that hints at the campaign quality (perhaps something using the main character, but not an actual mission from the campaign).

You could put in a simplified editor aswell, but I'm not even sure that's necessary. People who want to create and play custom missions should buy the game.

The goal is to give people a feel for Arma3, meaning the visual and audio quality, the controls, the atmosphere and the actual gameplay.

in that case the demo would need to FULL HD content locked only for SinglePlayer content and Lite Free2Play style for MultiPlayer content

happy? cause that's best of both worlds

unified patch may then work even with the Demo&F2P version (or in worst case need standalone patch just for the Demo&F2P)

I'm hoping you guys go with just a demo over Free 2 play.

If you guys get some time, check out the vanilla Arma 2 servers.

it's almost impossible now to find a server that doesn't have someone

mass TK'ing and or blowing up team assets.

The majority of Free players are great and willing to learn

but with a game like Arma it only takes 1 or 2 people make

a server virtually unplayable.

Maybe a server side switch that allows admins to choose wether or not free players can join so they don't have to password protect the server or use addons to keep them out.

when will that come out and even if for the demo its one mission idc oen scenerio ANY THING just use the games con demo or what ever that is

Edited by killercam

whats free route

http://www.arma2.com/free

and when will that come out and even if for the demo its one mission idc oen scenerio ANY THING

if at all, after A3 release (summer 2012)...

With arma I always try the demo to make sure it doesnt run like shit. I dont know how much work it is to make a demo but the only games I've bought that dont have a demo were ones with a massive steam summersale discount. Only exception was starcraft 2, but I had acces to the beta, so thats sortof a demo, and now it has an actual demo.