Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

Camera recommendations

We have a lot of people interested in photography here, myself included and now I'm finally making a transition into system cameras. So I am trying to get oriented.

My current camera is a 6MP hybrid with a big built-in Carl-Zeiss lens that lets in a lot of light. It has 12x optical zoom (which I am very happy about) and is operated easily. But I want to have swift manual control of focus and zoom. Processing times as well as startup-time is important. I'm valuing the ability of taking spontaneous pictures. For example if I see a bird I want to minimize the time it takes to take the first picture, or the moment might be lost.

So what cameras are out there, that you know of, that are good?

Additionally, what kind of lenses would you recommend? A zoom lens is a must, but what else?

for non-pro usage, I used a Canon EOS 350D, but that sort of had it's life (sold the canon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses).

I recently bought a Nikon D5100 together with a 18-105 DX VR lens, which i am pretty happy with (no more carrying 2 lens with me all the time, etc)

What i will buy when i'll get some more cash is a fixed 35mm(or lower) lens with low F

The main difference between cannon and nikon is that the lower range nikons are constrained to DX lens, and cannot fit the FX ones, while for cannon, you can swap them between any sort of camera (7D to 350D etc).

On the other hand the pro lenses (for both Canon and Nikon) can cost as much as a lower range DSR, which sort of defeats the purpose.

It is obviously a matter of preference and needs

I have Nikon D80 (old by now I guess), and happy with picture quality, menu logics, and how it "feels" (hand placement, weight, and button placement). I would go for one of the main ones, like Nikon/Canon, but I would try them out in the store and simply go for the one that feels most right for you. I don't think either brand is "better" than the other, both produce awesome images, and limited mostly by the imagination of the user.

What lenses? Well, I can only speak for the Nikon side of things. I don't have many:

* 18-70 that came with it. Good enough for cheap quality but lacks the versatility

* 18-200VR for the zoom range. Has complex distortions if you look for them. Everything else under control. Cheap build quality, often suffering from crawling (mine does). Probably my most used lens. Not a "pro" lens, but good value for money, even if you think it's expensive. Ring is 72mm though, not much uses this afaik.

* 12-24 f/4 wide angle lens. Very good build, but a bit expensive. Not too "bright", and 77mm ring puts it in the "pro" range, with added expenses to getting filters. Very good landscape photography entry lens.

* Classic 50mm f/1.8. Very cheap, and very good in low light, but of course no zoom.

What you want to consider is not only the lens, but how to get enough light for acceptable ISO levels. My old D80 isn't the best "low lighter", and ISO800 is about the highest I use.

For spontaneous shots I would go with the following lenses:

18-200VR for unmatched flexibility in well lit indoor or outdoor scenes.

35 or 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 fixed zoom lens with unmatched indoor uses in sparse light.

If you can affort it, a more pro solution (light wise, and require more lens changing) is:

28-70 f/2.8 for outstanding quality, and

70-200 f/2.8 for more zoom. Not a superzoom, but covers many uses and is very pro.

And then, pretty much whatever suits you on the fixed zooms but good very low lighters.

For moving subjects indoors, just do yourself a favor and grab a decent flash. Power, tilt, and turn are the important keywords here, ignore the hype unless you plan to buy lots of flashes and go very creative.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

That's not a zoom lens.

thats right, prime means non zoom (=better image quality /needing less light etc)

I stand corrected. I did say "nice zoom" (like "lot's of it") though, not "zoom lens". Erhm. You buying that? Nah, me neither :D Just got a bit excited.

I recently bought a Nikon D5100 together with a 18-105 DX VR lens, which i am pretty happy with

I've also used this and it's certainly a pretty good camera like pufu says!

Personally I've used my old Nikon D60 more than anything, reasonably light and small compared to more professional Nikon's (D3 etc) and, for me at least, I'm more happy to take it places where it might get damaged/dirty.

Have also played around with a D700 but they are damn expensive (was told they can use both DX and FX lenses though)

I recently bought a D7000 body after I wrecked my D40, which was my first proper camera and served me well. Can't say a bad word about it, it's really easy to get the most out of it and all the settings are at your finger tips. Only thing now is that it's making my old lenses looks a bit crap...

Nikon D40, excellent photos but isn't cumbersome. The only thing is you should spend a bit on a good lens in the future, it makes all the difference. I personally use a canon eos 20d though.

Nikon D40' date=' excellent photos but isn't cumbersome. The only thing is you should spend a bit on a good lens in the future, it makes all the difference. I personally use a canon eos 20d though.[/quote']

D40 (or rather Nikon D3000 these days, D40 was discontinued) is a nice camera but it lacks the in-built motor needed for auto-focus in some lenses. I'd still recommend the D40 and D3000 as excellent entry level DSLRs.

Edited by Daniel

I am still waiting for D400(if there will be one...), D7000 is a good D3100/5100 replacement I wouldn't switch into it if I were using D90 through.

Also if you were only starting to use DSLR, its better to choose some entry level (Nikon D5100 or upcoming Cannon 600D) body first to get a hand on how it feels

I personally have been a D70s user and have experence on professional body like Nikon D300 and Cannon 6D, so I would only choose D400 once it comes out as there isn't much point to go backwards. Normally using Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, enought for most use. But I am think about buying a 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II as well

With all that said, the buttom line is that you will most likely stick with the either Cannon or Nikon as you will build your lens collection after those bodys

A little tip here: if you go for Cannon, you might find that the lens focal length range is better then that of Nikon(the Hell of RED "L" as I like to refer to:p)

60 MP or that type of camera really isn't for normal day to day use, it is good, however, if you used to take 6X7 with 120 films

Edited by 4 IN 1