Sign in to follow this  
gareththomasnz

Take on helicopter environments for ARMA 3 ?

Here you can clearly see that it's indeed 30kmx30km:

Well I have to concede that looks to be ~30km by 30km on screen with the island looking to be ~26.5km at its widest point (east/west) :)

However, that in its self throws up some problems: :D

If they have scaled the GIS data in the X & Y planes in order to fit a ~35km width island down to ~26.5km then any point on the island will have a steeper slope between its self and another point (as they are closer together now)

If they have scaled Z in addition to X & Y planes to make slope better then any point on the island will be lower relative to MSL than in real life.

projectile’s will travel ~32% further than they should or have higher down range energy than they really would, blast radius will be ~32% bigger than it should, and vehicles will travel ~32% faster than they should relative to the real world unless they scale “1m†by the same amount which is a bit late now all the houses etc are placed on the island

or

we ultimately concede that BIS haven’t made Lemnos but have just made "an island" that’s about ~26.5km at its widest point in order to preserve the 1m to 1m scale and all the physics that go along with it vs. the real world.

Which then just begs the question why did they just not pick a slightly smaller Greek island etc that fitted in with their ~26.5km remit in the first place! :rolleyes:

Which then just begs the question why did they just not pick a slightly smaller Greek island etc that fitted in with their ~26.5km remit in the first place! :rolleyes:

I am actually very worried about BIS. Something wrong happening: first it's strange helicopter mockups in TakOH (reason of this kept in secret), then they decide to put Arma III in future with railguns, lazorz and underwear, and now they compress real life island ("for accessibility", yeah sure..).

Oh, and remember all that TakOH social media pics? Half of BIS staff wears socks with sandals!

I demand answers.

Slightly steeper slopes doesn't have that much of an impact in games. My worry is that most movement will be in the open for a chopper. Oh, and just be happy it's Bohemia and not Bethesda that compresses the island :p

Well I have to concede that looks to be ~30km by 30km on screen with the island looking to be ~26.5km at its widest point (east/west) :)

However, that in its self throws up some problems: :D

If they have scaled the GIS data in the X & Y planes in order to fit a ~35km width island down to ~26.5km then any point on the island will have a steeper slope between its self and another point (as they are closer together now)

If they have scaled Z in addition to X & Y planes to make slope better then any point on the island will be lower relative to MSL than in real life.

projectile’s will travel ~32% further than they should or have higher down range energy than they really would, blast radius will be ~32% bigger than it should, and vehicles will travel ~32% faster than they should relative to the real world unless they scale “1m†by the same amount which is a bit late now all the houses etc are placed on the island

or

we ultimately concede that BIS haven’t made Lemnos but have just made "an island" that’s about ~26.5km at its widest point in order to preserve the 1m to 1m scale and all the physics that go along with it vs. the real world.

A bit overcooking it there I think.

Bullets will still travel at the same speed, they will just hit the same spot sooner on the BIS Lemnos compared to what would happen on the real one.

Vehicles will still travel at the same speed, only get there sooner on the BIS Lemnos.

Just because they scaled the island does not mean the who game engine needs scaled to suit.

Lemnos was chosen, like the Commanche, because they liked it and it already has the military infrastucture on the real one.

A bit overcooking it there I think.

Bullets will still travel at the same speed, they will just hit the same spot sooner on the BIS Lemnos compared to what would happen on the real one.

Vehicles will still travel at the same speed, only get there sooner on the BIS Lemnos.

Just because they scaled the island does not mean the who game engine needs scaled to suit.

Lemnos was chosen, like the Commanche, because they liked it and it already has the military infrastucture on the real one.

But you have the paradox of real world distance vs. game world distance ware 1m is one is not <1m in the other and thus time is compressed so things thus happen faster and travel further in the same unit of time.

i.e. if something arrives sooner than it should vs. the real world then it has to be going faster than in the real world or it would arrive at the same time. ;)

If we forget about the real island then yes the game will still give accurate range so a 1000m shot will be a 1000m shot however relative to the real world that would be a ~1320m shot and not a 1000m shot.

But you have the paradox of real world distance vs. game world distance ware 1m is one is not <1m in the other and thus time is compressed so things thus happen faster and travel further in the same unit of time.

i.e. if something arrives sooner than it should vs. the real world then it has to be going faster than in the real world or it would arrive at the same time. ;)

If we forget about the real island then yes the game will still give accurate range so a 1000m shot will be a 1000m shot however relative to the real world that would be a ~1320m shot and not a 1000m shot.

I get your paradox, but in the game I would think 1 metre still = 1 metre. Or then everything would be smaller negating the speed difference.

Housing and buidling structures should still be unscaled or we won't fit through the doors, runways too short etc.

As it stands though, if someone made a scale island everything would still be correct.

It was also said that Limnos was chosen due to its very high diversity in geographical features - it has basically everything. And who compares what he can do on real Limnos wrt distances with what he can do in game? I don't think it compares well with Sahrani, where in some cases you had to walk for 30 seconds to get to another "location". Great map, but far too condensed in certain areas (south) to be really believable.

Well I'm kinda hoping they will put them in there. Including conifer forests. With enough (non tree based) cover to support some close quarter forest combat. Units hide extremely well in the tree shadow and undergrowth. It's camo at its best (for Chernarus), and the cool thing is that it's my own spotting abilities that makes the difference, not how well they are hidden behind shrubs where I wouldn't see them no matter what.

As long as there are no clipping or gap issues... I want to play Arma in Seattle.

That can easily be achieved,

Just find a house or an apartment in Seattle, then move into the building you've found. Bring your computer along with you. Pop in your Arma CD. Then Bam! Your playing arma in Seattle.

If you want, I can help you look for a house. :p

That can easily be achieved,

Just find a house or an apartment in Seattle, then move into the building you've found. Bring your computer along with you. Pop in your Arma CD. Then Bam! Your playing arma in Seattle.

If you want, I can help you look for a house. :p

Yea... but who in their right mind would want to move to Seattle??

I dropped by there for a few days, and I almost puked. Seattle sux.

Now Boston... there's a place I'd like to play ARMA 2... kind o expensive for an apartment, tho.