Sign in to follow this  
Baraka

Dune RTS for ArmA2

Hi there!

I have a dream since a long time. Porting the awesome Dune II game into the Armaverse.

My scripting skills are really bad, so it never started to work with it, because nothing sucks more than getting stopped by own fail on the half way.

But now Mondkalb released his magnificent "Window of opportunity". With tears of joy in my eyes i realized that there is a way to do it :yay:

Sadly i won´t bring out that stuff alone. It´s to much stuff and there is to much Reallife. So i decide to ask for help, maybe there is someone out there who likes the Dune Theme like me.

What can i do: Modelling, Texturing, Import the stuff into Game in an limited way (means i can do some basic configs, no advanced stuff)

What can i not do: Scripting, Animations, Sound, create worlds

What is the idea: A RTS-Addon based on the Dune games\film, mainly Dune II. That means units for 2 or 3 factions, with 2-3 Soldier-units, some vehicles and some aircraft, Buildings like a refinery, factorys and gun-towers. All the units will also be great for sci-fi Missions imo.

Here is an overview from the DuneII-Homepage: click

If you think "Hey, that´s a good idea, let´s sit together and make a plan." feel free to answer.

Thank´s for reading that bunch of broken dreams,

Baraka

Man, Emperor: BFD was one of the first games I ever played on PC. What I'd give haha... unfortunately I have no time to help with my own projects and school starting back up in 2 weeks, but definitely wishing best of luck for this. Need Devastators in ArmA :D

Man, that would be GREAT to see and play !

Can I have a wierding module? Muad'Dib!

I Could Probably Rip the Sounds Off the Dune Game if you want, Pretty Simple

Just need to extract the MIX Files and convert the audio Format

Thanks for the nice words.

@JDog: Dune II was years before Emperor. It was one of the first RTS. It was a great time for Games, nearly every release was an unique piece of art. swimming in the big lake of memories

Bringing all the units from Emperor BfD is madness, cause there are way to much different Models.Also there are flametrowers and other stuff which the engine don´t like.Dune II was more basic. All factions had similar units and one or two special-units, less buildings and so on.

@JakeWed: Thanks for the offer. Sound ripping won´t be a problem. But i don´t know howto add voices to units. But that´s the last thing that worry me.

Maybe i do one unit the next days to motivate me and others.

As someone who's been here a long time, there's just one piece of advice I can give you.

When you start a project, always start with the idea that you will be doing it alone. If you can see the end product being worth it, then it won't matter to you that you've had to work hard and long hours to achieve it.

Some people may come by to help you, and at that point you should always graciously accept. They may come through, they may not, but either way you will know that you can still see it through. If they do come through and you both are passionate about the project it will be fun.

Start with your one unit to motivate yourself. Then see if you want to proceed.

Abs

pgxkPRT8AjA

Definitely possible
STGN

@Baraka:

I would prototype some stuff and see how it works. That way you can do some work dedicated to something you're very interested in. If it works out, that might be a good advertisement to find other people to work with you.

Didn´t know that there was a similar projekt for ofp.

Was it released? Google shows only the youtube video and some forum-talk.

I would love to have a look at it.

You guys spoke words of wisdom. I´ll start for my own.