Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 83780

I actually don't understand what's your problem in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoEzSKR-NQ

AI came to you nearly point blank (less than 2m) and spotted you which is completely realistic (and it says current beta)

Call of Duty and Real Life are two completely opposite things.

Edited by metalcraze

I actually don't understand what's your problem in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoEzSKR-NQ

AI came to you nearly point blank (less than 2m) and spotted you which is completely realistic (and it says current beta)

Call of Duty and Real Life are two completely opposite things.

In ARMA2, how to take advantage of ghillie suit?

In the two videos below, I will show what happens in Utes in official version and 83780 beta. Of course this in official version is ridiculous which I must confirm it is a bug and issue in 1.59 official version. But this indicates a question-- What is the difference between normal suit and ghille suit in the game? What benefit will the ghille suit brings to you in ARMA2?

This is official 79384 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cVOHqFHEgY

(Yes it is a bug about hiding in the grass. )

This is 83780 beta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YihPjTN0XD8

Edited by msy
Sorry for composing.

I don't think the ghillie suit itself has any functional effect in game. However default units that are wearing it do have their camo rating adjusted to be lower (i think? better in any case) than other units.

It's also designed to make you blend with vegetation at range, not at someone's feet. :)

Lying in a golden field with a green ghillie.... that looked pretty good.

I agree the scene in COD was awsome when i played it first time, but real it is not.

Im not sure if ghillie suit differs from any other suits, though i asume that the knowsabout level to identify it as unknown is higher than for non ghillies..

Lying in a golden field with a green ghillie.... that looked pretty good.

I agree the scene in COD was awsome when i played it first time, but real it is not.

Im not sure if ghillie suit differs from any other suits, though i asume that the knowsabout level to identify it as unknown is higher than for non ghillies..

I have chose the sniper in US faction not USMC (the later is greener). And maybe color for AI means nothing different?

Edited by msy

In ARMA2, how to take advantage of ghillie suit?

In the two videos below, I will show what happens in Utes in official version and 83780 beta. Of course this in official version is ridiculous which I must confirm it is a bug and issue in 1.59 official version. But this indicates a question-- What is the difference between normal suit and ghille suit in the game? What benefit will the ghille suit brings to you in ARMA2?

This is official 79384 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cVOHqFHEgY

(Yes it is a bug about hiding in the grass. )

This is 83780 beta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YihPjTN0XD8

So you are complaining that a bug with a blind AI was fixed? Wow.

Dude ghillie suit does not make you invisible. It makes you less visible on greater distances - is all. 'Less visible'

Forget about COD ffs. A reaction to a dude dressed like a grass monster with a huge M110 in his hands lying down in a wheat when you spot it nearly point blank is the same ghillie suit or not.

Every step you take in COD has nothing to do with reality, seriously forget about recreating any of it.

Edited by metalcraze

So you are complaining that a bug with a blind AI was fixed? Wow.

Dude ghillie suit does not make you invisible. It makes you less visible on greater distances - is all. 'Less visible'

Forget about COD ffs.

I acknowledge the high but not dense grass can hide person without exposing is a bug. But if to say the grass in 83780 is so called fine, because the grass only can stops you finding AI but can't stop AI finding you, it will lose its value to exist in the screen. In some degree I want the grass can affect AI much more than player.

Another is, yes, I have forget COD. In fact I wanted to introduce the movie Shooter (2007) at that time. In the second half of the movie, the opfor SF team move from the hill to the house to kill the leading role, and they walk near to and past the FBI agent who is wearing a ghillie suit hiding in the grass. They don't detect him.

Edited by msy

I acknowledge the high but not dense grass can hide person without exposing is a bug. But if to say the grass in 83780 is so called fine, because the grass only can stops you finding AI but can't stop AI finding you, it will lose its value to exist in the screen. In some degree I want the grass can affect AI much more than player.

What stops you from spotting AI under the same conditions? The AI was walking with his head far above wheat level - anything below his eyes is perfectly seen less than 2m away.

I'm actually surprised AI didn't spot you earlier since I totally would.

In fact I want to introduce the movie Shooter (2007) at that time. In the second half of the movie, the opfor SF team move from the hill to the house to kill the leading role, and they walk near to and past the FBI agent who is wearing a ghile suit hiding in the grass. They don't detect him.

Is it a documentary movie or a Hollywood movie?

It may shock you but in 99.9% of cases movies have nothing to do with reality as well. Otherwise they would be too boring to watch.

What stops you from spotting AI under the same conditions? The AI was walking with his head far above wheat level - anything below his eyes is perfectly seen less than 2m away.

I'm actually surprised AI didn't spot you earlier since I totally would.

Is it a documentary movie or a Hollywood movie?

It may shock you but in 99.9% of cases movies have nothing to do with reality as well. Otherwise they would be too boring to watch.

But ARMA2 is also just a game not a training program. Scince in ARMA2 it is not able to provide real effect and function of ghillie suit for you, it can't give you a real camouflage in the field. Through AI's eyes you are so exposing and conspicuous. To get a tie between player and AI, you must give something advanced to plyer or give some disadvantage to AI, to achieve a balance.

But a balance during 1.57 beta -1.59 official version, to hide in the high grass can make you invisible, though it is not real and logical, is lost in 83780, maybe won't never exist in the futhure version. This balance has been broken, what will fill the vacancy?

Edited by msy

But ARMA2 is also just a game not a training program.

Even in the most arcadey of games AI is not oblivious to an enemy 2m away. Are you suggesting AI in a game that tries to look real should be completely retarded?

Scince in ARMA2 it is not able to provide real effect and function of ghillie suit for you, it can't give you a real camouflage in the field.

Judging by your video of this beta - it does provide an effect very close to real. And it isn't just "ghillie suit" - it's also your huge weapon and body form.

Through AI's eyes you are so exposing and conspicuous. To get a tie between player and AI, you must give something advanced to plyer or give some disadvantage to AI, to achieve a balance.

I don't see any advantages or disadvantages in your situation.

You are being spotted from less than 2 meters. What's your problem? Why shouldn't you be spotted? AI directly looks at you and sees you - what's the problem?

But a balance during 1.57 beta -1.59 official version, to hide in the high grass can make you invisible, though it is not real and logical, is lost in 83780, maybe won't never exist in the futhure version. This balance has been broken, what will fill the vacancy?

Nothing. It wasn't a balance - it was a bug with a blind AI that had it at a complete disadvantage compared to human players. Now it's fixed. You should be happy, not complain.

Even in the most arcadey of games AI is not oblivious to an enemy 2m away. Are you suggesting AI in a game that tries to look real should be completely retarded?

Judging by your video of this beta - it does provide an effect very close to real. And it isn't just "ghillie suit" - it's also your huge weapon and body form.

I don't see any advantages or disadvantages in your situation.

You are being spotted from less than 2 meters. What's your problem? Why shouldn't you be spotted? AI directly looks at you and sees you - what's the problem?

Nothing. It wasn't a balance - it was a bug with a blind AI that had it at a complete disadvantage compared to human players. Now it's fixed. You should be happy, not complain.

Well, I think I have to adapt the fixed feature. At least I'd not like to disable grass in the game as some old ofp players like to do.

You just need to stop thinking that movies and games created to look effective and use unrealistic stuff for a dramatic effect have something to do with reality

That said - in a wheat field with a ghillie suit you were spotted only less than 2m away - remember that a standing guy sees all ~2m of your body lying down from that distance + ~1m of a weapon in a pushed down grass - and it really looks like a ghillie suit does work as it should because you weren't spotted earlier (I mean you can see yourself with a 3rd person camera which looks at you almost from the same angle and distance)

Standing guys always have a better view in such conditions.

Man, the AI really get more lethal with every Beta. :) Many thanks for that.

So I suppose the 100. of kills in Domination shouldn't be possible in the future. :)

I have tried the window AI fix in the gas station and it worked great. The only problem was that AI doesn't seem to open closed doors. So I still can hide from them even though they know where I am.

The zombies of The Undead mod are actually able to open doors. It was really funny in the map Namalsk Zombies I tried to exploit the Zombie stupidity to survive but it wasn't possible, they opened the door of the outpost. :)

Btw. can anyone confirm this little bug that after resuming a saved game the screen is all blurry like the player getting unconscious until you press Escape?

Afterwards everything is clear again.

This isn't a real problem but looks weird and should be very easy to fix.

Two bugs confirmed, one new, the other not so new.

1 - Created missiles (probably bombs too) pass through anything except ground without colliding/exploding (created with createVehicle).

2 - fireAtTarget command (useWeapon action aswell) cause the weapons to be switching pilons in airplanes as they are fired.

Small mission demostrating both bugs (check init.sqf)

And mission's recording.

dSMFHMsKGEU

Edited by Mandoble

The effect shown in zGUBAs video goes for the SHILKA too.

(And i thought i was drunk that night ...pfff...)

I also spotted that created missiles bug that Mandoble mentioned. I havent yet seen AI issues, but the game have crashed 3 times now in short time (I sent dumbs to Dwarden). I can play only about an hour, then it may crash.

Comp: HD6870 (latest driver), Q6600 3,4GHz, 4gt memory, Vista 64bit, X-Fi Audio. (malloc 3)

1 - Created missiles (probably bombs too) pass through anything except ground without colliding/exploding (created with createVehicle).

2 - fireAtTarget command (useWeapon action aswell) cause the weapons to be switching pilons in airplanes as they are fired.

As you mentioned a problem with useweapon it may be worth pointing out this problem which may or may not be related.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/20459

noticed the sliding AI last night - it was on a mountain in takistan and instead of walking they slid about 5m downhill then took a few steps then slid again.

noticed the sliding AI last night - it was on a mountain in takistan and instead of walking they slid about 5m downhill then took a few steps then slid again.

Yeah, that's the Visual State Interpolation...still work-in-progress for MP.

Yeah, that's the Visual State Interpolation...still work-in-progress for MP.

i hear you. This was in SP. I don't use beta for MP.

Also wanted to point out that the vertical surface was causing it for me. on horizontal surfaces i do not notice it at all.

hitting the AI during their slide was really tricky (pkp at 400m)

Did they slide or teleport? Because if they did slide and it was a steep slope - it's a usual thing.

Red Harvest campaign is bugged with the beta. It is not possible to complete mission 3 "Into the Storm". Reconing the village does not produce visual confirmation of the enemy communications vehicle, preventing further progress.

Small mission demostrating both bugs (check init.sqf)

And mission's recording.

dSMFHMsKGEU

Ticketed @ http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23754