Sign in to follow this  
FredTche

(My) problems with editing...

Hey,

Its been a while since I am trying to start editing with my Windows 7. I have been following this tutorial- http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial - and got to step "Extract BI addons to P:". This is where (again) I got very confused. To start, I cant find ArmA2 main directory/Addons and thus, cant find, nor unpack, the required folders. Also, although I did manage (after having to post a thread here, since the link did'nt work, even after I created an account for it) to download DePbo and ExtractPbo, I didnt understand where to extract or move them. I hope someone can help me so I can create the awesome islands I dream of creating.

Also, I havent thanked all the people who have helped with my other problems, but I am very grateful.

Arma2 main directory is wherever your arma2 is installed to, most likely in your program files, so if you have ever installed a mod, you should know where it is. A folder called addons is in there, but you can use arma2p 2.5.1 which will do all the pbo's for you.

@[Evo] Dan, I dont have an addons folder in my arma2 folder and the arma2p 2.5.1 thing only confused me more :/

1. Download arma2p 2.5.1

2. extract arma2p 2.5.1 + included rar archives into P:\Arma2p

3. doubleclick arma2p 2.5.1.cmd and let the magic happen ;-)

4. when everything is extracted create and folder P:\YOURTAG

5. Arma2p creates an WRP_PROJECTS folder, go there and copy the ca folder and paste it inside YOURTAG folder.

6. Inside YOURTAG folder you can now create YOURISLANDFOLDER

7. dont delete stuff inside the ca folders.^^

correct me if I'm wrong.:rolleyes:

You want to extract the file. pbo if I understood well:

1 download this : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1434

2 Extract PboView on your desktop

3 Open PboView and press CTRL + U

4 Search C:\Programs File\Bohemia\Arma2\Addons

5 Select buildings.pbo for exemple and extract in P:\Ca

Sorry for my bad english

Kimmo

Hmmmm...

I dont have an addons folder in my arma2 folder

Yes you do - or something is deeply wrong...

arma2p 2.5.1 is part of the BIS Tools 2.5.1 release

No, it isn't... Arma2P.2.5.1a (current latest version) is one of Mikero's Tools - designed to complement the new 2.5.1 BIS Tools package and automate the total unpacking of your game files to that all-important P:\CA folder...

A few brief words on this whole thing...

Firstly - Sgt Ace's tutorial "initial setup" part is now becoming a little out of date - I'm currently writing a replacement for that bit - though NOT for the tutorial itself - which still remains the best basic introduction around... That'll be finished soon - or if this current flood of New Terrain Guys continues, I might panic-release just the setup section, since so many people seem to be doing that right now...

Anyway - on a more general note.....

Arma 2 & Arrowhead were created by Teams - probably several Teams... that means that - internally - it's a little less "organised" than you'd think.....

You unpack "Buildings2.pbo" and put it on your P:\CA folder - you could be forgiven for thinking that all the data, textures, configs - everything required by the objects in "Buildings2" is inside "Buildings2" - They May Not Be!

Occasionally, objects in one .pbo require things from other .pbos - sometimes unexpected ones you'd think you really didn't need to unpack to your P:\CA folder..... If they're missing - errors appear... usually non-critical errors right enough, but errors just the same....

The Only way to be sure that Everything is available is to unpack the Whole Game - All of it - and put it in P:\CA.....

That would be a Massive Chore to do by hand... and that's exactly what Arma2P does...

It detects your installed games - steam, disc - it'll find them - DLC, even Betas - it'll find them all, then unpack them in a strict order - derapify all the config.bin's to config.cpps, then arrange them all the way they should be in your P:\CA folder..... then as a bonus, it'll create that "little configs-only CA folder" you need to have inside your "tag" or "namespace" folder if you use one.....

For now - once you've installed the Tools and rebooted so you have a P:\ drive - Fogu's procedure above should work fine.....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

@Bushlurker, I cant find the addons folder. I think I accidentaly deleted them a while ago while messing with some mods. Back then i used CD arma CO. I then bought OA, BAF and PMC on steam and thought they would return :S. Please help.

Hmmm...

It sounds like basic Arma 2 itself is missing from your setup at the moment and you're actually running OA, BAF & PMC by themselves...

Unless you tried to go play on Chernarus or use original Arma 2 units you wouldn't really notice I guess...

Check by going into the editor - if Chernarus isn't on your list of terrains then Arma 2 is definitely missing... it sure sounds like it...

I'm not actually familiar with the Arma 2 CO disc package - I'm pretty sure it's essentially Arma 2 plus OA "lite"... maybe someone else will confirm that...

You certainly have all the appropriate stuff, it's just a matter of reinstalling CO I suppose - that'll get you Arma 2 installed again with all its files... You could then combine that with your existing steam stuff for a "Full" CO setup + DLC...

There's threads easewhere that talk about installing all the different versions, and getting them to all add up to a "full CO experience"... I'll post a link if I find one...

Get that sorted then come back and maybe read the basic temporary "beginners install guide" I just posted earlier... once all the Game Assets are installed correctly, using them to set up a development drive will definitely be easier!

B

@Bushlurker,

Sh*t

I tried restarting arma 2 and, instead of getting a brand-new arma2 folder with the addons, the arma2 folder didnt show up at all. I did; however, find an option in steam under properties>local called backup game files. Maybe the steam OA Arma2 folder shows-up and maybe even with the addons folder. Of course, Im only guessing. I know u understand a lot about this, so please dont give up on me and thanks for all the advice so far.

Edited by FredTche
Additional Information

You need to get all your game packages properly installed FredTche... That's the number one priority... Once that's done you can worry about getting the tools installed properly, and Arma2P should find all your game assets properly and unpack them...

I've just published a temporary "chapter 1" of a guide I'm currently writing specially because that first chapter covers all that beginners tools setup procedure... that should help a lot... but first you need the game installed properly....

the Experts in that sort of thing don't really hang out here in the Mapmaking section, and I'm no expert myself...

You need to do a bit of reading and/or asking over in the Main section I think...

Here's a couple of suggested threads to start with.....

Steam installation & troubleshooting

How to combine Arma 2 and OA and use together as CO

Once you're all properly installed - come back to this section again and maybe take a look here....

interim beginners setup tutorial

good luck

B

Thanks a lot, Bushlurker,

Im already reinstalling all Armas.

Best regards