Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Vehicle Cargo Bays and Passenger Realism

One of my biggest pet peeves with the current engine is that there are no realistic moving doors/cargo bays on ARMA vehicles.

Yes, they can be done with mods and using some AttachTo and what not, but even then it is limited by the engine.

Currently if you try to put a Vehicle/Soldier in the back of a chinook or C130 that isn't physically seated through the vehicle, they usually die or fly out at about 20m or so.

This limits jumping platforms to only the C130 Static for a realistic approach to a HALO jump and also with the lack of moveable doors/inside cargo makes a realistic static line jump nearly impossible. Furthermore, Air dropping vehicles and supplies to the battlefield is not something that can really be done with great success in Vanilla.

Do you guys think this is something BIS should focus their time on to make moveable cargo doors/passenger doors and allow soldiers and items to freely move around in them?

One of my biggest pet peeves with the current engine is that there are no realistic moving doors/cargo bays on ARMA vehicles.

Yes, they can be done with mods and using some AttachTo and what not, but even then it is limited by the engine.

Currently if you try to put a Vehicle/Soldier in the back of a chinook or C130 that isn't physically seated through the vehicle, they usually die or fly out at about 20m or so.

This limits jumping platforms to only the C130 Static for a realistic approach to a HALO jump and also with the lack of moveable doors/inside cargo makes a realistic static line jump nearly impossible. Furthermore, Air dropping vehicles and supplies to the battlefield is not something that can really be done with great success in Vanilla.

Do you guys think this is something BIS should focus their time on to make moveable cargo doors/passenger doors and allow soldiers and items to freely move around in them?

YES!!! They should definitely make soldier to be able to freely move inside vehicles such as Chinook and make Russian Mi-8 or Mi-17 to have their back door open. So they serve as a Russian Chinook :D :yay:

The CV-22 that has been shown recently in the screenshots would also be a good candidate.

yes i aculy made a post on that XD

Being able to move about the aircraft would be great. And I don't think it's wasted development either, the same technology would make realistic boat/ship uses too.

Also, the seating numbers need to be planned too. Try loading up a Chinhook in ArmA2, and if you only have half the maximum passengers, they all sit on the same side of the aircraft. Any pilot/loadmaster will frown heavily upon that :) so seat numbers should be arranged to spread the load, not only across both sides of the aircraft, but laterally as well.

Being able to move about the aircraft would be great. And I don't think it's wasted development either, the same technology would make realistic boat/ship uses too.

Ivan, queen bless his soul, has said that it's on their wishlist, but they can't really say if this will make it in their final game in this stage of the development.

Also, the seating numbers need to be planned too. Try loading up a Chinhook in ArmA2, and if you only have half the maximum passengers, they all sit on the same side of the aircraft. Any pilot/loadmaster will frown heavily upon that :) so seat numbers should be arranged to spread the load, not only across both sides of the aircraft, but laterally as well.

That is an easy fix, even for A2 ;) They just need to change the proxy's names/order :P

That is an easy fix, even for A2 ;) They just need to change the proxy's names/order :P

Yes, but have they? :) ;) the problem with a product such as the ArmA series is the sheer amount of such small fixes, easy enough but just a sheer wall of them. Particularly when such a fix is almost a purely aesthetic one, is it worth a ticket?

The Merlin in the BAF expansion for example, most times hovers just a little too high for AI passengers to board, and also just a little too high for injury-free disembarkation. Also an easy fix, but exactly the sort of fix that gets lost in a swamp of other needs.

Yes, but have they? the problem with a product such as the ArmA series is the sheer amount of such small fixes, easy enough but just a sheer wall of them.

Tell me about it. :(

Thing is I don't think it's a very large fix for them. There are a lot of user made mods that have working cargo bays etc, so its easily done. BIS would just need to figure out a system to all everyone to not die when they go into it and start flying off.

Thing is I don't think it's a very large fix for them. There are a lot of user made mods that have working cargo bays etc, so its easily done. BIS would just need to figure out a system to all everyone to not die when they go into it and start flying off.

...which is a pretty damned large "fix." :581:

The doors moving is not a limit of the engine at all. This can easily be done for a vehicle without any special tricks. To be done for all vehicles, however, that's a time and effort question that must be measured vs. many other factors.

I remember Joint Operations had a rather nice vehicle engine that allowed fluid & apparently error-free vehicle wandering. It was so fluid that I suspect there was some clever trickery going on, like maybe the player world changed to just the vehicle, and the outside world was handled separately. I guess the big problem for vehicle-wandering is the lag induced between player, vehicle, server, back to player etc. But if the "player world" was swapped out for just the vehicle, with the only non-vehicle clients playing catch-up, then you'd get a smoother experience yes?

I also seem to remember Joint Ops had a pretty intuitive seat-swap mechanism too. Been a long time since I played it though.

I was just about to say!

In Joint operations (Loved that game to death) u could move freely in helicopters, boats and maybe more but dunno.

Really gave that immersive feeling to it.

I can remember a awesome moment i had in JO

I got shot down with my little chopper and crashed in the water, i survived and swimmer back to the shore were the enemy base was. A chinook with his back directly pointin to the beach was standing there and i rushed to it. I walked inside the chinook and noticed some enemy players were going to fly it. So before i knew we were in mid air, me and 3 enemy players. I shot the first, walked to the cockpit and killed the other 2. And then to take over the chopper.

Mmmh nostalgia

I was just about to say!

In Joint operations (Loved that game to death) u could move freely in helicopters, boats and maybe more but dunno.

Really gave that immersive feeling to it.

I can remember a awesome moment i had in JO

I got shot down with my little chopper and crashed in the water, i survived and swimmer back to the shore were the enemy base was. A chinook with his back directly pointin to the beach was standing there and i rushed to it. I walked inside the chinook and noticed some enemy players were going to fly it. So before i knew we were in mid air, me and 3 enemy players. I shot the first, walked to the cockpit and killed the other 2. And then to take over the chopper.

Mmmh nostalgia

It is an amazing game. I really really hope the developers check it out, and learn from what they did with vehicles and the cargo bay....

and vehicles automatically blow up once ditch on the water...

in reality passengers in helicopter ditched have good chance to survive if they were able to escape before it sinks...

^^Escaping a ditched helicopter isn't easy, but its certainly doable with some training. After you do a couple rounds in the dunk trainer (forget the acronym right now) you get past the "automatic freak-out" response and start thinking about how to survive. Finding the escape hatch in the dark, upside down can still be kind of a bitch, though.

This may go some way to answering the OP

Of course there is a possibility something got lost in translation as this is quoted from the recent gamestar interview with Ivan and was originaly german.

'In addition to the better implementation of elements that are already in the game, the PhysX engine is also completely new possibilities for us. We can now load tanks on transport vehicles, we can slip vehicles in a mess and are abseiling soldiers. Lots of cool stuff, according to which the fans have often asked.'

This may go some way to answering the OP

Of course there is a possibility something got lost in translation as this is quoted from the recent gamestar interview with Ivan and was originaly german.

'In addition to the better implementation of elements that are already in the game, the PhysX engine is also completely new possibilities for us. We can now load tanks on transport vehicles, we can slip vehicles in a mess and are abseiling soldiers. Lots of cool stuff, according to which the fans have often asked.'

This:

YifGESd0o0A

Please, no discussion about VBS2 here!

This:

YifGESd0o0A

Please, no discussion about VBS2 here!

Is that done with an attachto command, or is it done more like Joint Operations? Because the attachto command works for vehicles, although is somewhat tedious to do, but it doesn't work for allowing me to walk around the platform whilst it is moving.

^^Escaping a ditched helicopter isn't easy, but its certainly doable with some training. After you do a couple rounds in the dunk trainer (forget the acronym right now) you get past the "automatic freak-out" response and start thinking about how to survive. Finding the escape hatch in the dark, upside down can still be kind of a bitch, though.

Been there, done that, hated it, won't do it again. Also in real life there are additional dangers. In the dark, you won't know which way is up, but a survival suit will tend to guide you of course. There is also the problem of swallowing water filled with fuel, leading to internal chemical burns (iirc). Then of course you have to survive the elements as well for a while - high seas makes you sick, finding and entering a raft may not be easy, and then there is the "pine" (electrical static discharge thingy) to worry about when rescue comes - you don't want to grab that :p

Edited by CarlGustaffa

CarlGustaffa said:
Been there, done that, hated it, won't do it again. Also in real life there are additional dangers. In the dark, you won't know which way is up, but a survival suit will tend to guide you of course. There is also the problem of swallowing water filled with fuel, leading to internal chemical burns (iirc). Then of course you have to survive the elements as well for a while - high seas makes you sick, finding and entering a raft may not be easy, and then there is the "pine" (electrical static discharge thingy) to worry about when rescue comes - you don't want to grab that :

I think the VBS2 video used attachto to keep the vehicles on the platform, but now that we will have PhysX we won't have to worry about that... You'd probably still want attachto on the long haul transporters, but for the short stuff just a flatbed trailer (preferably with sides on it, or at least some rails or something, so you won't slide off on a turn) would work, if I understand what I've read about it correctly. PhysX should allow you to walk inside vehicles as well, I think. You'd have to ask somebody who has experience with it to be sure.

Taken from this page:

One of the major improvements of Arma 3 is the introduction of PhysX which gives the developpers and the player a whole new horizon of possibilities. PhysX will be used for every vehicle, water simulation and other ingame interactions. PhysX gives the ability to simulate the slickness of surfaces, simulating ropes ( fastroping will be supported) and loading vehicles onto trailers and much more

Hopefully this means I'll be able to load my hmmvs or hovercrafts (trollol) into a C130 or spaceship and drop them out to the battlefield.