Sign in to follow this  
G-LOC

hot key to control chopper

hot key to control chopper

When I play as a tank commander I can use keys to comand the driver (left, right, stop, fast etc):

commander00.jpg

I want to do the same with the chopper pilots. I need a menu to "comand the pilot" then I can use the keys to sendo orders:

- "left" (one hit = turn 5 degree left). I am telling the pilot to turn 5 degree left and not turning the chopper myself.

- pick left = circle left

- stand up (fly 50 meters higher)

- advance, back - back, stop, fast, flank

- Need keys to jink left and right

The printscreen will look like this:

comander01a.jpg

I "command" the piloto to fly fast, higher and circle left (around my target area).

We will need to start the command mode (start commander mode/exit commander mode):

commander01.jpg

The pilot will fly a terrain follow mode.

Keybinding:

commander02.jpg

With this menu I can:

- use the choppers to move my squad where I want. I will land where I want.

- hoover the chopper above a building to rappel using the keyboard

- circle around the target and attack with the doors gunner

- command UAVs with the keyboard and the FLIR with the mouse

- circle the AC-130 around the target

- the gunner off a attack helicopter can stalk the target flying very low and slow or use tactics like stop-pop up-fire-hide-move

- The backseater can "fly" the plane to drop laser guided bombs.

- Every vehicle, boat and plane can use this idea.

AH-6X have the same concept. I can fly very low and comand the UAV to fly higher to avoid colide with the terrain or buildings:

commander03.jpg

Bugs.

- What the pilot will do after drop the cargo (return do base)

G-LOC

Mando's missles has this. Not as fluid as the tank commanding hot keys, but more useful IMO. MMA uses a map waypoint system where you open the mma map in the chopper, click it, and the pilot flies there. And there are hotkeys to control the altitude as well.

Would be nice, those AI helo pilots do love to hover with their tail rotor facing the threat.

Yes, This is one of my biggest complaints with Arma2 that I wish they would fix. If you cannot control the AI pilots better such as in auto-hover you should be able to command pilot to turn chopper L,R,UP, or dn to line up target when you play as gunner. Or the ability to tell Pilot to engage a target with hydra missiles while you are gunner. More powerful Hellfires that actually kill nearby people. Using BigDawgs Hellfire addon that uses topdown hellfire strikes i lasered a hellfire right near an enemy soldier and he ran away, Ridiculous! But tanks and cars are toast. I wish they would patch for this and certainly address this in Arma3. Also, I wish the animations, like in real life, would show disintegration of enemies when hit by 20mm or bigger and not just throw them a few yards away. Just animate a splattery mess which looks great under Thermalvision.This is a simulator by the way. Kids don't play this game like COD. Give us some real destruction and carnage. http://www.youtube.com/user/CokemanChatt?feature=mhee

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Would be nice, those AI helo pilots do love to hover with their tail rotor facing the threat.

Right ON. Happens all the time. I actually ejected out of the chopper in disgust.:butbut:

Well I've seen enough real life FLIR to know that people do run away from what are near direct Hellfire strikes. No complaints about that in ARMA but I always use ACE, seems to knock them dead.

Does the Ace system address this problem? Do Hellfires do more damage with ACE? The real problem is still the AI control in the chopper.

I know the AI problem still exists in ACE. I honestly can't say if ACE Hellfires do more or less damage because I've never tried without ACE. lol

Right, I just played with ACE, the same mission. Getting the AI pilot to go to a position on the map and then hover and face the enemy target is a challenge.

Even ignored stop commands. Horribly flies past the position and when stops is always facing away from target. Needs tweeking and a better way IMO. Sometimes you get him to stop correctly and its great. He hovers indefinitely but when you need to adjust position for around buildings is when trouble starts.

You have to stop far short of any targets or the AI pilot will maneuver if he feels any threat. That's another part of the pain.