Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Anti-Aliasing, how important is it for you?

I'm rather variable. Sometimes I enable it, sometimes I disable it. I guess I like the differences between enable/disable that makes the game feel different, otherwise I find myself playing on auto-pilot :)

I don't mind jaggies, but looking at things like fences, antennas and other fine details makes my eyes bleed if I don't have AA enabled.

I currently use Medium AA as well as FXAA (shader based AA which makes things even smoother).

most of the time i keep AA off, but 200% render resolution

I have it on most of the time in almost all games. In ArmA 2 it depends if the video card can handle the stress. Currently I can run AA on very high (i have other options afterwards of 5,6,7,8) at the most before the fps drop begins to bother me. I'm still experimenting between AA and 3D res to see if I can find a sweet spot for my hardware.

I usually run it in most other games. But in A2, it's too much of an FPS sacrifice. For some reason, A2, AA, and my video card have never played well together.

most of the time i keep AA off, but 200% render resolution

I never understood this. Every time I tried 200% vs. Normal/High AA, the framerate loss was WAY higher with the 200% render resolution, and it didn't particularly look any better than AA. What hardware are you guys running where 200% render is faster than AA?

Keeping it on-topic, I had been using Normal AA, then switched to no AA but with FXAA shader, and now I'm thinking about using both, at least until (read: IF) the issues with distant rendering get addressed with FXAA. Normal AA is pretty good, but FXAA just makes it that much better, with little to no FPS drop.

How do u enable FXAA? I have Nvidia card can you give me some info about it.

How do u enable FXAA? I have Nvidia card can you give me some info about it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=123121

I never understood this. Every time I tried 200% vs. Normal/High AA, the framerate loss was WAY higher with the 200% render resolution, and it didn't particularly look any better than AA. What hardware are you guys running where 200% render is faster than AA?

For some reason on my 6970, seems the higher render res is no issue for the card. On my 460, i need to tone it down, or use 100% with AA. I still need to test the FXAA

Edited by PuFu

I have it turned off. I can´t stand the artifacts it causes in smoke, for example. And of course the performance loss it causes. The jagged edges, I barely notice anymore.

So if I use FXAA then I dont need the regular AA in the game, correct?

Edited by Nikiforos

Yes correct. Or you can use both together for uber results :D

This is for example just FXAA together with sharpening. Without regular AA. View screenshots in 100% (no resize) or its hard to see the difference.

arma2oa2011081606573004.th.png | arma2oa2011081606572341.th.png

arma2oa2011081607195577.th.png | arma2oa2011081607194923.th.png

screenshot446594.th.png | screenshot445463.th.png

More screenshots & discussion about FXAA and other post processing effects as PuFu linked in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=123121

Edited by Ginger McAle

I can´t stand the artifacts it causes in smoke, for example. And of course the performance loss it causes.

Both problems are resolved by FXAA.

----------

AA is important for me.

In Arma1 & Arma2 I forced 2xAA from the driver, I thought it ran better than In game LOW AA.

In OA I could no longer force it through the driver (never been able to find out why), so I used In game Low AA. I quickly discovered this caused artifacts on some bugged bushes/trees which resulted in distracting, flickering, white pixels on them.

I then gave up using in game AA and switched to running 120% render res.

Then FXAA came out and I have not looked back.

Is FXAA just an nVidia thing then? I tried it with my AMD Radeon HD5970OC and it just seemed to blur things out while knocking off 5-10 fps.

Is FXAA just an nVidia thing then? I tried it with my AMD Radeon HD5970OC and it just seemed to blur things out while knocking off 5-10 fps.

I only tested on NVIDIA with my Custom Shaders ... i know it works on ATI but with some artifacts here and there and you have to adjust the Subpixel and other settings to match the ATI Driver specifics :cool:

No problems here on Radeon 6950. This FXAA thing can look good or bad or something in between Jedra, it depends on the settings you set or that are already set by someone else.

OK fair enough - will have a play with it at the weekend then. Thanks for the responses.

I've tried the FXAA thing on a Geforce Nvidia 9800 and all it really did was blur the trees a lot as well as give me a huge performance hit. Just one guy on Utes it takes upwards of 30 frames from me.

Are there some settings that I need to change or something?

I've tried the FXAA thing on a Geforce Nvidia 9800 and all it really did was blur the trees a lot as well as give me a huge performance hit. Just one guy on Utes it takes upwards of 30 frames from me.

Are there some settings that I need to change or something?

Witch Version ? Mine ? or some_dude ?

and please post you FXAA settings , will have a look at it then

Using standard settings from V0.21 from this link

in the post.h file find this :

// comment these to deaktivate the Functions

//#define USE_SHARPENING

#define USE_TONEMAP

#define USE_BLOOM

#define USE_LIMITER

//#define USE_ADD_SHARPENING

and edit to this :

// comment these to deaktivate the Functions

//#define USE_SHARPENING

//#define USE_TONEMAP

//#define USE_BLOOM

#define USE_LIMITER

//#define USE_ADD_SHARPENING

and in shader.fx find :

0.85, //fxaaQualitySubpix (default: 0.75)

0.120, //fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold

0.0425, //fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin

and edit to :

0.75, //fxaaQualitySubpix (default: 0.75)

0.166, //fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold

0.00745, //fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin

and tell me if your FPS gain with this settings ...:cool:

Just gave it a go, the frame loss is definitely no where near as bad, now only losing 10 frames roughly but trees are still very blurry.