Sign in to follow this  
jcmomo

Arma 2 Performance and FPS

I'm new to the Arma community, first I would like to thank Bohemia for such a great game and simulator. I can't believe I was missing out on this experience! Anyways I have two questions to ask actually.

One, I heard that disabling page file (I have 8gb of ram and I have 4gb of old ram that I could always use incase 8 is not enough but its slower. Can I or should I disable the page file? I have Windows 7 64-bit operating system. And should I disable superfetch/prefetch? Apparently this increases FPS and texture loading. Also does ramdisk and page file disabled do same thing?

Two, I would like to ask the viewers AND Bohemia admins how to maintain and manage your computer. (I.E. how to clean it out of junk, make it faster like tweaking it, optimizing it, and keep it running fast as I am not too good with this and just keep computer at default. Thanks for all your help, jcmomo.

P.S. I do have a ramdisk installed and I put in my 12gb and i CAN fit Arma 2 steam folder inside I just need to ask you if I should.

Yes Ramdisk gives u smoother experience, allthough u shouldn´t use all 12gb of ram on a ramdisk. Leave about 4gb´s of ram for the rest of the system to run on.

If u can fit the whole folder in the ramdisk that´s cool, if not copy what u can form the addons folder.

Use the search function, there is a whole thread somewhere about using a Ramdisk and what files to put in it. Also search for SSD's as this might be interesting for you aswell.

What about disabling the page file? I did that just now and disabled superfetch/prefetch and its running fine! Oh and i have 12 gb of ram so i can fit the 8.21gb arma 2 file in it if i make it 9gbs and 3gb for system ;)

I used to have pretty abysmal performance on my old rig; then I upgraded everything but my GPU (a 8600 GT 256 MB - yeah, I know) - NO noticeable improvement. But once I upped my GPU to a 8800 GT, everything is running much smoother. So despite what people say about CPU and RamDisks and whatnot, my suggestion is to look at your graphics card. Is it at least on the level of a 8800? Preferably better? If so, and it still runs like crap (even on low settings), there might be something else wrong with it. (mind, I'm not exactly getting 40+ FPS here, but compared to my previous 10-15, I ain't complaining!)

Regards,

Wolfrug

Well, the 8600 was a GPU that could barely run this game. If you have a recent GPU and you still lag, it's time to look at the CPU, RAM, etc.

Yeah, I just bought a EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB card...and I see no improvement over my 9800 gt...SO, like you said RangerPL...I'm looking into getting a new cpu. But I'm wondering if it's my RAM, and maybe something else also.

Current Specs:

GPU: "mentioned above"

CPU: 2.2 GHZ Amd Phenom Quad Core (my thought on the bottleneck, was looking at this)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-103-894&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

(I know it's not an I5-2500K, which I heard is the best for gaming)...but I'm on a budget...and I'd have to buy an Intel supported Mobo.

6 G.B DDR2 Memory

Windows Vista x64

Gateway Mobo (can support my new card, and that amd cpu...so I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with it)

BUT: Would bumping from DDR2 to DDR3 make a difference in gaming? or should I just get a new cpu, Since that 2.2 GHZ one is OLD and slow?