Sign in to follow this  
rbb

Heli flying with Keyboard + mouse

Hi guys im new to Arma2 and i love realistic Military Simulator!! :yay: but now im facing problems when flying Helos. You guys mind sharing what is the best configuration for Keyboard and mouse? im having difficulties flying.

Here's my settings, am i using the right settings? having issue landing accurately in LZ :(

Bank left/right = Mouse Left/right

Nose up/down = Mouse up/down

Pedal left/right = A and D

Im using a 5k DPI Logitech G700 wireless laser mouse, does DPI affect flying in this game? i do know flying requires practices, if you guys don't mind explain and teach me how to make land and hover with correct technique.

Edited by RBB

Once you learn, hopefully you can teach me, because frankly I'll kill someone in a helo as I fly....cause I can't fly worth a shit....but from in all actuality, it just takes a lot of practice. Maybe even think about getting yourself a joystick of some sort?

Once you learn, hopefully you can teach me, because frankly I'll kill someone in a helo as I fly....cause I can't fly worth a shit....but from in all actuality, it just takes a lot of practice. Maybe even think about getting yourself a joystick of some sort?

Im practicing daily offline and im hoping i will learn some new tricks, what's the highest speed you ever go? i watched some experience player vids and i saw the way they maneuver the heli to left or right easily, im wondering is it joystick or KB+Mouse?

Im very lousy at maneuver and landing :( i did landed alot times but i always missed the LZ multiple times and keep turning around the LZ :( maybe im flying too high or suck at hovering. I really hope someone will share and teach me.

Edited by RBB

Hi guys im new to Arma2 and i love realistic Military Simulator!! :yay: but now im facing problems when flying Helos. You guys mind sharing what is the best configuration for Keyboard and mouse? im having difficulties flying.

Here's my settings, am i using the right settings? having issue landing accurately in LZ :(

Bank left/right = Mouse Left/right

Nose up/down = Mouse up/down

Pedal left/right = A and D

Im using a 5k DPI Logitech G700 wireless laser mouse, does DPI affect flying in this game? i do know flying requires practices, if you guys don't mind explain and teach me how to make land and hover with correct technique.

For me, like yourself, when I came to PC Arma2 sim (don’t like calling it a game) it was all mind boggling, I have now got a Razer Nostromo to my left, Cyborg V7 keyboard in the middle and Rat5 to my right.. I don’t seem to do too badly now...

Cyborgs V7 is going tho..

Sorry .... I'm no help here except to say ....... there IS no substitute for a Joystick. Cheap or expensive, get one.

Throttle up = Q

Throttle down = key left of Z

Rudder left = Z

Rudder right = X

Pitch and bank = mouse

And I fly like a boss.

First of all, throttle up is the most important control for you on the keyboard. To fly fast and well, you'll have to hold it down most of the time to give power to forward motion and sudden turns. Practice in the editor by placing an MH-6 and flying anywhere as fast and low as possible. To do a fast landing (a very pr0 move), hold throttle down, bank to one side and pull up with the keyboard to do a powerful braking move after which you will be almost still in the air and landing is a matter of gently touching down.

Edited by Celery

For me, like yourself, when I came to PC Arma2 sim (don’t like calling it a game) it was all mind boggling, I have now got a Razer Nostromo to my left, Cyborg V7 keyboard in the middle and Rat5 to my right.. I don’t seem to do too badly now...

Cyborgs V7 is going tho..

Interesting :) what DPI are you using for your mouse when you're flying care to share? i really love arma! gorgeous graphic and most importantly the team based simulation gameplay.

Sorry .... I'm no help here except to say ....... there IS no substitute for a Joystick. Cheap or expensive, get one.

If you just want to say ........ i rather you don't reply haha, i will definitely get a joystick no matter cheap or expensive BUT as the thread title mentioned im talking about keyboard + mouse flying. Thanks for your "Constructive" reply.

Throttle up = Q

Rudder left = Z

Rudder right = X

Pitch and bank = mouse

And I fly like a boss.

First of all, throttle up is the most important control for you on the keyboard. To fly fast and well, you'll have to hold it down most of the time to give power to forward motion and sudden turns. Practice in the editor by placing an MH-6 and flying anywhere as fast and low as possible. To do a fast landing (a very pr0 move), hold throttle down, bank to one side and pull up with the keyboard to do a powerful braking move after which you will be almost still in the air and landing is a matter of gently touching down.

Nice settings :) so how many degree do i need to pitch my heli nose down in order to gain a fast speed? so when i do a sharp quick turns i need to always point downwards and keep the throttle at full? maybe the technique im using is wrong haha!

Ok for landing, would u might why i need to bank to one side and bank by a little or by alot? what do you mean by pull up with the keyboard or do you mean pitch the nose up to decrease the speed until 0 to hover and land?? sorry if im asking some noob questions.

Edited by RBB

Pull up = S key

Oh Nose up aka pitch up, sorry was confused :D i changed my settings

This is my settings:

Throttle up (ascend)= W

Throttle down (descend) = S

Pedal left (rudder) = A

Pedal Right(rudder) = D

Nose up(pitch up) = mouse up

Nose down(pitch up) = mouse down

Bank Left = left mouse

Bank Right = right mouse

This is what im using :)

Here's a video that kinda shows the "pull up and bank" method of landing:

jvfop6XZmwc

WoW cool maneuvers! by the way guys, do i need to patch arma2 original to latest before i install Arma: OA? iirc Arma2 original version is 1.09? how about OA? i saw a patch 1.59 included reinforcements patch, is that the latest patch for OA?

Interesting :) what DPI are you using for your mouse when you're flying care to share? i really love arma! gorgeous graphic and most importantly the team based simulation gameplay.

The rat5 allows four settings, I have it set to 750, 1500, 2250 & 3375 at present, I use 1500 & 2250 for flying although any seem to be ok, just a wee bit smoother using one of those two settings. I have the Sensitivity set to high on the mouse and the in-game smoothing on high also, haven't really played around with those settings to much yet.

On the ground however, I’m just playing around with the Aiming Deadzone setting at the mo, makes it more realistic to be able to twist the body slightly to scan the area with your weapon instead of the whole body, although I find this can give the eye an odd motion effect onscreen (in first person, never play in third). Also using the freelook feature works well attached to one of the side buttons on the mouse for quick looks around on the ground or in the air...

The rat5 allows four settings, I have it set to 750, 1500, 2250 & 3375 at present, I use 1500 & 2250 for flying although any seem to be ok, just a wee bit smoother using one of those two settings. I have the Sensitivity set to high on the mouse and the in-game smoothing on high also, haven't really played around with those settings to much yet.

On the ground however, I’m just playing around with the Aiming Deadzone setting at the mo, makes it more realistic to be able to twist the body slightly to scan the area with your weapon instead of the whole body, although I find this can give the eye an odd motion effect onscreen (in first person, never play in third). Also using the freelook feature works well attached to one of the side buttons on the mouse for quick looks around on the ground or in the air...

Nice settings :yay: im using Logitech G700, my settings are 200, 400, 900, 2000 and 5700 haha. the 200 dpi i use it when i play infantry and i find the mouse too sensitive in Arma, currently im trying out 1500dpi for flying.

What is your in-game Mouse X/Y Axis? your lowest dpi 750 do you find it very sensitive when you play as infantry? i notice when i max mouse smoothing setting, my mouse will become very sensitive and i dislike it when playing infantry :( as for piloting Heli im fine but not jets! i tried flying jets with my mouse and its so sensitive i can do barrel roll 324356778 times :butbut:

Throttle up = Q

Rudder left = Z

Rudder right = X

Pitch and bank = mouse

And I fly like a boss.

Haha, that's a nice move. Fairly easy to do with the Little Bird if you have enough altitude, but I first tried it with the Blackhawk and...didn't work as well... :p

WoW cool maneuvers! by the way guys, do i need to patch arma2 original to latest before i install Arma: OA? iirc Arma2 original version is 1.09? how about OA? i saw a patch 1.59 included reinforcements patch, is that the latest patch for OA?

I find it better to patch Arma 2 to 1.10 before running the OA patch 1.59.

Nice settings :yay: im using Logitech G700, my settings are 200, 400, 900, 2000 and 5700 haha. the 200 dpi i use it when i play infantry and i find the mouse too sensitive in Arma, currently im trying out 1500dpi for flying.

Logitech G700 nice mouse.. I have used the lower settings for the mouse down to 500 but not really much lower than that. I think you have to stick with it a while when your settings are higher especially above 1000, infantry can be tempting to use the lower settings, but it can be much smoother I think with less mouse movement required if you choose the higher setting say 1500, I use 750 if I’m sniping or want slow really careful movement, I have a sniper button on the side of the mouse that you can adjust down from 100% to 0% , I use it set at between 15% to 5% as it is really accurate and steady at such a low setting.

My only complaint is I can’t find anything to use with my thumb scroll...

What is your in-game Mouse X/Y Axis? your lowest dpi 750 do you find it very sensitive when you play as infantry? i notice when i max mouse smoothing setting, my mouse will become very sensitive and i dislike it when playing infantry :( as for piloting Heli im fine but not jets! i tried flying jets with my mouse and its so sensitive i can do barrel roll 324356778 times :butbut:

X/Y axis set at default, never moved them..

Overall I think its how you use your mouse, some people like to move the mouse around a lot some don’t. Helicopters are really easy to fly at higher settings, you might want to reduce the setting a little nearer to landing but you soon get the hang of it. I also use the Glide 7 mouse mat which, believe it or believe it not, does help, when I use my other PC and the standard mat I can really tell the difference between the surfaces, but I think now we could be getting into anorak territory so I will leave it there...

Have you ever tried the DeadZone setting, if so where do you set the slider, lower end or higher end ? I would imagine it disables when flying or driving ? With infantry it gives a deeper immersive feeling to the sim, but I can’t help feeling its headache territory because the screen effect takes some getting use to, when looking around through an optic the surrounding screen does not move until the setting kicks out, whereas if you don’t use it the whole screen moves. I want to use it but I know I’m going to take some time to get use to it.

Not wondering off topic here as I’m sure the DeadZone would have to be auto disabled when flying heli’s etc ??

Logitech G700 nice mouse.. I have used the lower settings for the mouse down to 500 but not really much lower than that. I think you have to stick with it a while when your settings are higher especially above 1000, infantry can be tempting to use the lower settings, but it can be much smoother I think with less mouse movement required if you choose the higher setting say 1500, I use 750 if I’m sniping or want slow really careful movement, I have a sniper button on the side of the mouse that you can adjust down from 100% to 0% , I use it set at between 15% to 5% as it is really accurate and steady at such a low setting.

My only complaint is I can’t find anything to use with my thumb scroll...

X/Y axis set at default, never moved them..

Overall I think its how you use your mouse, some people like to move the mouse around a lot some don’t. Helicopters are really easy to fly at higher settings, you might want to reduce the setting a little nearer to landing but you soon get the hang of it. I also use the Glide 7 mouse mat which, believe it or believe it not, does help, when I use my other PC and the standard mat I can really tell the difference between the surfaces, but I think now we could be getting into anorak territory so I will leave it there...

Have you ever tried the DeadZone setting, if so where do you set the slider, lower end or higher end ? I would imagine it disables when flying or driving ? With infantry it gives a deeper immersive feeling to the sim, but I can’t help feeling its headache territory because the screen effect takes some getting use to, when looking around through an optic the surrounding screen does not move until the setting kicks out, whereas if you don’t use it the whole screen moves. I want to use it but I know I’m going to take some time to get use to it.

Not wondering off topic here as I’m sure the DeadZone would have to be auto disabled when flying heli’s etc ??

Ya i love the Logitech G700 alot and its wireless. So your Axis X/Y are all in default hmmm, i think the problem with my over sensitive movement is because of my Axis X/Y maxed out haha! i lowered it to default and done some reconfiguration already, i use 200, 400 and 800 when i play infantry and depends on what role im playing and i will lower of increase the dpi for accurate or quick reflex cqc. Which thumb scroll are you talking about? the side buttons or the middle mouse wheel?

As for deadzone i don't use it at all because i really cannot get used to the deadzone effects :eek: it makes me feel really giddy and i never on it, same goes for head bobbing i lowered it down alot to prevent my head from spinning rofl.

I find it better to patch Arma 2 to 1.10 before running the OA patch 1.59.

Okay :) mine was already patched when i downloaded it from Sprocket, digital version are all updated which i just recall it :yay: thank you for the info.

Edited by RBB

Which thumb scroll are you talking about? the side buttons or the middle mouse wheel?

The Rat5 has a thumb scroll wheel, three side buttons, a layout button choice of three different layouts for the mouse to change while on the go and the button to alter the DPI setting on the go, as well as the standard scroll wheel. When I first got it I thought I thought the second scroll wheel would be handy for using with the zoom, but it would need to be a better set up zoom feature in Arma2 I think for it to work well, defined progressive zoom or something like that... Still its weight adjustable, size adjustable and built on a steel chassis so I’ll hang onto it for a while or should a say a wheel....:)