Sign in to follow this  
gravyface

Bit overwhelmed

Just bought the Steam pack with ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead (think it was the Combined Arms deal).

Having played multiplayer shooters (tactical as well as action shooters) since Doom dial-up days, I figured I could jump right in to the public servers after going through the tutorials and... wow, what is going on?

First of all, all the servers seem to be coop. Secondly, I have no idea what's going on in game as far as who's who, what the objectives are, who's my squad leader, and so on. Seems to be a giant clusterf*ck.

Is there a good MP FAQ I should be reading? Where should I start? Single player? I usually skip the single player, but perhaps I shouldn't?

In Arma 2, SP and MP are technically the same with the style of missions being the only difference, so you should perhaps learn to play offline first. To filter out coop games, double-click "type" in the MP browser to sort the missions and see the other game modes at the top.

I find a good thing to do as well is to go into the Editor, get on a blank island (Utes works nicely because it's small and fast to load) and load various weapons/vehicles to test them out and see how they work.

I find a good thing to do as well is to go into the Editor, get on a blank island (Utes works nicely because it's small and fast to load) and load various weapons/vehicles to test them out and see how they work.

Great idea, thanks.

Any idea why everyone seems to be playing coop only? Coming from Project Reality where team-based (and highly-coordinated command/squad structure) "take and hold" objectives style multiplayer is the norm, I found the one or two coop games pretty underwhelming.

I recall at one point I had grabbed an SUV solo, drove around aimlessly and at point blank range, mowed down a platoon of guerillas that crept up on my while I was in the drivers seat looking the wrong way. It just seemed like if that was a real squad of players, let alone a platoon, I wouldn't been hosed at that distance.

In general i give every newbie the advice to start with the editor after successfully completing the tutorials and then grab a friend and get into Co-op

Any idea why everyone seems to be playing coop only?

This is now a really wild guess but...could it be they like playing coop and this is why they play it?

The good thing on ArmA 2 is, if you don't like what you have at hand now, you can go and make what you like to have.

Missing TvT/PvP maps? Open the editor and create some.

No server playing such maps? Well, there is a dedicated server included, feel free to create your own server playing the maps you like.

Please don't go into arguing like "but PvP/TvT is better than coop..." because it is all about personal preferences....some like this, others like that. ArmA 2 is open enough to let you do what you like, altough it might need some effort from your side.

Myke;2002118']This is now a really wild guess but...could it be they like playing coop and this is why they play it?

The good thing on ArmA 2 is' date=' if you don't like what you have at hand now, you can go and make what you like to have.

Missing TvT/PvP maps? Open the editor and create some.

No server playing such maps? Well, there is a dedicated server included, feel free to create your own server playing the maps you like.

Please don't go into arguing like "but PvP/TvT is better than coop..." because it is all about personal preferences....some like this, others like that. ArmA 2 is open enough to let you do what you like, altough it might need some effort from your side.[/quote']

Fair enough.

What is it about coop that makes it the most dominate type of game to play? Is there a technical reason why, i.e. buggy/laggy with team-based maps? What do the clans play typically? I have nothing against coop (if the AI is good), but honestly, just really surprised that multiplayer seems to be so lopsided towards coop.

Well, i can't speak for others (obviously) but for myself.

With 41 years i just feel too old for anything else than coop. IMHO in TvT/PvP fast reflexes are imminent and with raising age...well, i just feel slow some times. ;)

I just think that playing coop is more for me, chit-chatting before we go ingame over TS, discuss the strategy we will try to fulfill the objectives, having some fun inbetween enemy encounters...this is where i feel comfortable.

Also Coop (exclude ranked missions) is less about kills but more about objectives. I don't mind having zero kills at the end of a session simply because i was flying the transport chopper, moving my lads around so they can fulfill their tasks.

As said, this is why i do play coop, i'm sure a lot will agree with my points and even more will disagree. For me it works, i have a great time playing online and this is what counts for me.

Fair enough.

What is it about coop that makes it the most dominate type of game to play? Is there a technical reason why, i.e. buggy/laggy with team-based maps?

Basically the pvp scene has withered away during the span of the series because of some unwanted changes brought by Armed Assault later fixed in Arma 2, and the numbers spiraled downwards in Arma 2 because the numbers were too small to begin with. In OFP there was an equal amount of coop and pvp, the latter being very organized with multiple leagues for different styles of play.

Fair enough.

What is it about coop that makes it the most dominate type of game to play? Is there a technical reason why, i.e. buggy/laggy with team-based maps? What do the clans play typically? I have nothing against coop (if the AI is good), but honestly, just really surprised that multiplayer seems to be so lopsided towards coop.

AS stated by others here there is just NOT enough players on average for a good PvP/TvT play. So hence coop. Which is pretty rewarding IF you give it a chance.

As far as I know three of the most popular coops (and there are many others) are Domination, Insurgancey & Evolution. Each have their own angle at coop.

Speaking for our clan AGE (AdultGamersElite) we would be more than happy to try and help you get your feet on the ground in ArmA 2. You mentioned Project Reality, well there is a group working on an ArmA 2 Project Reality here also. Along with several other complete makeovers.

I wouldn't let yourself get to overwhelmed or putout about ArmA 2 play. There are plenty of folks here in the forums to answer your questions. Just remember to expect a little sarcasim and humour when you ask those questions as they've most likely been answered many times in the past. Your SEARCH is your friend. And we're here if you can't find it.

Myke;2002145']Well' date=' i can't speak for others (obviously) but for myself.

With 41 years i just feel too old for anything else than coop. IMHO in TvT/PvP fast reflexes are imminent and with raising age...well, i just feel slow some times. ;)

I just think that playing coop is more for me, chit-chatting before we go ingame over TS, discuss the strategy we will try to fulfill the objectives, having some fun inbetween enemy encounters...this is where i feel comfortable.

Also Coop (exclude ranked missions) is less about kills but more about objectives. I don't mind having zero kills at the end of a session simply because i was flying the transport chopper, moving my lads around so they can fulfill their tasks.

As said, this is why [b']i[/b] do play coop, i'm sure a lot will agree with my points and even more will disagree. For me it works, i have a great time playing online and this is what counts for me.

Must be when you hit 40 then -- I'm 34 and can still run and gun with the kids (at least I think I can). ;)

And all these points in favor of coop are what I like the most about Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2:

- game is slowed right down; shooting from the hip is nearly impossible unless you're at melee range.

- all assets are assigned to specific squads; admins will punt anyone flying a chopper who's not on the chopper squad for example.

- very good cooperation/coordination between squad members and inter-squad coordination is usually ok (good squad leaders will flip channels on TS to speak with other squadies regularly).

- object-based maps -- kills are really an afterthought, everyone's working together trying to take or hold objectives.

- support units actually provide support, whether it's logistics/supplies or mortar teams.

Seeing as there's a PR mod now for ArmA 2, I just assumed that ArmA 2 vanilla would be all that and more with an updated game engine, bigger maps, better ballistics and realism, etc.

And it could very well be that way with the PR mod for ArmA 2.

I'll play some single player (and create new empty mission with all assets as somebody else suggested) to get used to the game regardless; don't think I'll be able to just jump in and go from there with this one.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Basically the pvp scene has withered away during the span of the series because of some unwanted changes brought by Armed Assault later fixed in Arma 2, and the numbers spiraled downwards in Arma 2 because the numbers were too small to begin with. In OFP there was an equal amount of coop and pvp, the latter being very organized with multiple leagues for different styles of play.

My wife and I bought OFP: Dragon Rising about a year ago for cheap on steam. Server's were pretty dead then, I imagine they're dead now. We did enjoy coop together though (mainly because she would kind of hide behind a tree and I'd get to play the hero ;) )

Obviously if everyone's playing alot of ArmA 2 coop, something has to be working: perhaps getting involved with a clan or experienced players would be the most rewarding experience. I've been in clans before, but now that I'm older, time commitment's always an issue.

I'm also going to touch base with the PR:ArmA 2 people and see how things are progressing there.

If you want some PvP action just filter C5 in you game server list and every night our server has a small to large group playing a wide variety of PvP games.

Cerberus 5 -C5- is an elite group of gamers that have serious fun without taking themselves too serious.

Our server is public to all and we also have a dedicated TS3 sever for coms.

Name: Cerberus5 -C5-,PvP,Arma2,OA Address: 64.120.22.98 Port: 2312

-C5- TS3 63.227.129.130 Port 9987 No Password

http://cerberus5.proboards.com/index.cgi

Sadly there is only 2 US based PvP servers. I can't figure out the big draw to shooting a bunch of AI... Not fun for me. I'm old, have kids, been playing these titles for years and I just love the intense action Arma can bring when playing against real thinking enemies. Most "Joes" I believe, just don't know there is even a PvP aspect to the game at all and have never tried to ask like you. They just jump on one of the hundred coop servers (all running the same type of coop) and start playing.

My wife and I bought OFP: Dragon Rising about a year ago for cheap on steam. Server's were pretty dead then, I imagine they're dead now. We did enjoy coop together though (mainly because she would kind of hide behind a tree and I'd get to play the hero ;) )

I was talking about Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis/Resistance.

In addition to Celery:

That is another important thing to know about the serie's history - Years ago Publisher Codemasters split with Bohemia Interactive after that first part.

OFP Dragon Rising and Red River are just what CM was able to create on their own, under the OFP brand which BIS is now no longer allowed to use for their games. Many players here think CM are far behind the continuing, original BIS efforts. Especially for offering a sandbox game.

Gravyface, i'd advise you to play through the SP tutorial missions to get familiar with all the keyboard layout.

You get commands what to do and a box is telling you which key it is. In case its not binded yet you can hop into options and rebind it.

Takes an hour then you should be ok with most infantry / vehicle stuff.